Watch Dogs 2 - Ubisoft's other open world IP returns

Seriously screw this “Watched” mission in the FBI building.

Ran in to a rather serious bug. I got “stuck” in a hacked camera and had to alt-f4 the game.

I don’t think I had much trouble with it… I think I ended up doing virtually the entire thing with the RC jumper.

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble with the bit before that, where you spy on the FBI, but the actual building mission was a breeze.

The Cyber Driver mission is rage-quitty in the extreme if you don’t get it the first or second time. Wish I could abort it somehow but I’m stuck in a loop. That helicopter is relentless.

All the missions are pretty terrible if you bork them up at any time, thanks to the awful checkpoints.

The only advice I can give about the Cyber Driver theft mission is to stay off the highways. They make it easier for the helicopter to track you. Stay in the city. Use the alleyways, and when you can, park somewhere in a courtyard or pedestrian plaza (where cars aren’t normally allowed) and duck down to hide in the car. The best hiding spots are in underground parking garages, but they’re hard to find unless you luck out.

Best moment of last night? A random Tom Chick trying to hack me. Good luck, @tomchick ! My drone will always find you!

I think I randomly completed that mission by driving onto the pier/boardwalk, where for some reason, the helicopter and police cars wouldn’t folllow.

I booted up last night and the game resumed me standing smack bang in the middle of an enemy area. Yowzers!

Nope, nothing’s working. No matter how much distance I manage to put between myself and the copter, it or the ground cops eventually find me anyway. If I could just skip the mission, I’d have left it behind ages ago. Edit: Finally got it by abandoning the car and hiding out in a private courtyard.

Derp.

I take it the Uplay stats don’t really work?

Mine says “Game Progression: 0%” which I’m pretty sure is not right.

Haha I have the same problem:/

I’m enjoying this quite a bit despite some of the oddness with tone, but last night I hit a side mission that really had me scratching my head.

It turns out that someone was claiming to be in DedSec and blackmailing innocent people. Marcus and the DedSec crew objected to this since they’re the good guys who use their coding powers for justice like when they cause random car crashes by hacking street lights, or electrocuting security guards on a movie set. A quick parkour up an apartment building, an easy physical hack, and I’m looking through a house camera at a twenty-something Call of Duty player talking shit online and being a general jerk.

“This guy is everything bad about the internet!” Marcus exclaims. So what does Marcus and DedSec decide would be a good way to teach him a lesson? SWAT him of course. Keep in mind that you can’t opt out of this once you’ve hacked into the guy’s apartment. You have to press the buttons and go through the motions to continue. You hack his phone to call the cops, then you hack some bit of electronic bric-brac in the same room to make popping noises to trick the 911 operator into thinking there’s shooting going on. All the while the oblivious victim plays his shooter and yells, “Fuck yeah! Glock glock muthfucka!” into his headphone mic. The cops eventually bust in and your connection breaks just as the policeman calls in the false alarm and makes ready to arrest the guy.

So there I am, playing a goddamn game in which I am shown that apparently the cool way to get back at someone is to SWAT them. WTF, Ubisoft!? SWATing is most definitely NOT COOL. It’s not a way to “fight the power” and it’s not even particularly clever. It’s fucking dangerous and dumb.

Maybe it’s commentary about how certain people in tech culture are self-righteous but they also need to self-examine their own actions, which can be hypocritical?

I haven’t played the game but just from reading Telefrog’s post that’s how it sounds. It’s different when I do it because I’m the good guy.

Well that would be the whole Watch Dogs franchise. In both games you play hackers using magic hacker powers to fight Big Brother - by hacking random people to invade their privacy, robbing and killing them, and generally acting like a terrorist. The concept itself is a bit goofy, but hey, open world gotta open world. I can get over that because most of it happens thanks to game world magic. No kid is going to be able to use their phone to hack steam pipes to make them explode as they drive by. There’s no correlation to reality.

The SWAT mission is something else entirely. This is a dangerous real-world crime that happens a lot more often than it should precisely because it’s so easy to do. The fact that the mission in the game literally has you doing it to someone to get back at them for being a douche makes it seem like it’s A-okay to do this, especially since the outcome of the mission is the victim’s arrest. He totally got p0wned! High-five bro! There’s no consequence for your character other than some XP. There’s no self-examination. I doubt many people playing the mission even think about the real life repercussions of SWATing someone.

You’re SWATing him because he was SWATing other people. I guess “taste of his own medicine” or something but your character is in a dialogue with dedsec headquarters about how dangerous it is and then reasons…you do it to him.

That really doesn’t make it better. When you SWAT someone, you’re not just endangering their life. You’re endangering anyone that really needed the police while you have them tied up with your prank.

Yea dude I’m with you. I was trying to point out that the disconnect was greater than initially reported.

I love how one little guard gets a bit of an electrical shock from a wonky piece of film equipment, and suddenly the whole lot of them are swarming like a disturbed ants nest, weapons drawn and hunting the shadows threatening to get the hacker. Paranoid!