Watch Dogs 2 - Ubisoft's other open world IP returns

I didn’t notice that they were timed because I just blazed through them first time. I really like those pipemania puzzles.

See, as pretty as WD2 is, the quest design in WD2 is what is killing it for me, The story is pretty good but then the mission becomes the same every time - go here, find a way to get to the box you need to hack, hit the hack button. Or first line up all the "pipes’ just right, which is fine unless they have timers on them.

A lot of WD2 is enjoying the drones and the hacking powers. The holdovers from WD1 like traffic hacking and combat are much less useful than the drone and social upgrades, which are themselves key to solving most of the missions in the quickest and most elegant way. Or the messiest way, it’s up to you. Combat is really not the way the game wants you to play and it ends quickly whenever you try it. You only need Marcus in place for a hack in a few situations.

Just finished the game (was working through the Dragon Age series when it came out). I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than Watch Dogs. Took itself a lot less seriously this game (except that one mission, but I guess someone had to die. Sort of a Ubisoft thing). Thought the setting was well done. Granted, I don’t live in San Francisco, so it wasn’t as easy to pick out the glaring problems (like I could with Chicago, being that I live there), but it seemed a decent representation of San Francisco for a video game. Even had some flashbacks to similar areas in GTA San Andreas.

Overall, not a great game, but a good one. I’ll probably play again. I will say that if you’re like me, and like to collect everything first, you’ll be pretty overpowered once you start in on the missions. But then, I like being overpowered.

Well, I did something I rarely do - I quit a game before finishing it. The running around trying to flip the switches and then them getting reset and then racing the time mission just turned me off. I may go back to it one day, but missions like that are pure tedium for me - there is absolutely no gameplay enjoyment for me of any type in that kind of required activity. So I cranked up Fallout 4 just for a relaxed, open world. not gonna worry about winning or looking up stuff to optimize every decision, just explore and mentally role play, thinking I’d start this up and then go back to finishing WD2. And I found I have no desire to go back. I’ve seen everything there is to see in WD2 and basically done everything - I’ve used the hopper and chopper to solve infiltration puzzles, I’ve figured out how to get to hidden switches and boxes, etc.

I may go back at some point, I did like the characters, I did like the open world, but the gameplay finally just got tiresome for me.

Did I miss a mission? I don’t remember any mission that required finishing in a certain amount of time. Yes, those switches to turn red lines blue reset after a period of time, but I didn’t find those all that bad (at least using the drone, so you were high enough to see everything).

There’s a couple of the collectible skill hotspots in the city that do it, but there is one main quest that has it as well.

The final mission against the Prime8 group puts you in an underground bunker with one of those timed pipe puzzles. It can be frustrating because the hacker woman taunts you the whole time and towards the end of the puzzle she starts shifting pieces back.

The superfluous T-Bone content DLC is now available.

Got an email offering three hours of the game for free, maybe I should give it a go? Never played the first one so I’m sure I would be totally lost, ha!

Not on Xbox, it’s not.

That’s Ubi’s way of saying “thanks” to the folks who paid extra for the Gold Edition on XB1.

Well, technically, everyone but PS4 got shafted on this one. PlayStation players have had the T-Bone content since late December. Xbox and PC players have to wait.

Yeah, a mission in the main line, Hacker gets into your system, you infiltrate a bunker, once you get in there you get a message from the hacker kid that you have 4 minutes to solve the “pipes” puzzle or a bomb goes off. Once you get part of the way through, he resets all the switches (but not the clock.) Switches are on the roof, throughout the room, on the floor, etc.

It’s a she, not he, and not all the switches get reset.

Ah. Now I get it, it’s in “wide release” now. Guess it’s pretty easy to figure out that I did not find the Gold edition worth my cash.

Forgot about that one. I think it’s because I didn’t have any real issues with it. Solved the issue w/ over a minute remaining, so it was never stressful. I also think using the drone for those puzzles because it gives you a wider overview of what you’re trying to solve.

But that was the only timed mission I remember. Well, I didn’t remember this one, but…you know.

Couple of sales performance notes from the Ubisoft earnings call:

Watch Dogs 2 sales were “soft” (not great) at launch, but word of mouth has resulted in steady growth.

Ubisoft expects this to be a “long term” franchise with “cross-genre” possibilities.

Sales totals up until Dec 31st are similar to FarCry 4 for the same period in its lifetime.

Sales were better in EU, Asia, and the Middle East (combined) than in the NA region.

SPOILERS!!

Video of new ending Ubisoft added to the game with the latest patch.

[spoiler]Man 1: How much of this is hyperbole? Has it really gone global?

Man 2: There are new Dedsec cells popping up everywhere. The Middle East, South America, Europe. And not just them. We can’t even keep up with all the new hacktivist groups.

Man 1: Alright. Make the call.

Man 2: You Sure?

Man 1: Do it.

(The coordinates lead to London.)[/spoiler]

Ooh, we haven’t had a good open world (modern day) London for ages.

So I’ve been trying to avoid this thread for fear of hitting spoilers, but hey. New video card, and I always budget a few dollars extra for a new and shiny game to show it off.

It’s down to this and Mafia III, and I gather Mafia III is still kind of a flawed disappointment.

So tell me: Watch Dogs 2…if I kiiinda enjoyed the original for what it was, warts and all, is this the way to go?

I know they are different type of games, but Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex MD you already played ?

If WD2 and Mafia 3 are only choices, then I can say Mafia 3 is more enjoyable than I expected - played 30 hours so far and still having fun, even if it is somewhat repetitive, but the strong gameplay mechanics and good writing hold my interest (plus I absolutely love the 60s New Orleans setting).

I plan to get WD2 when it drops to 15 bucks, not in a hurry.