Watch Dogs 2 - Ubisoft's other open world IP returns

Yeah, it’s greatly improved over the original. Still not a GTAV killer, but much closer.

I enjoyed WD2 a lot more than the first one. I mean, yeah, there are logical disconnects all over the place. But as a game where you don’t worry about that sort of thing - I found it to be quite fun. The addition of the remote controlled vehicles just really clicked with me.

Could never get the hang of sailboat racing, tho. Not enough to win, anyway.

They also have recreated the SF/Oakland/Silicon Valley area in a MUCH more realistic fashion than they did with Chicago.

So I finally bought it, changed my mind from the post above - gotta kill time with something until MEA comes - gotta say I am enjoying it, but one thing I really hate is the driving nonphysics here. I know people complained about it in WD1 but god damn they made it completely nonexistent here, it is just pure arcade through and through and I reaaaaaly dislike it. WD1 had significantly more enjoyable driving (I know Rock8man is gonna eat me) and worst of all, just before WD2 I played Mafia 3 for 50 hours and Mafia 3 has fucking amazingly enjoyable driving, it is complete night and day.

Other than that, fun game. Trying to go nonlethal. I assume the melee takedowns are nonlethal. Seems doable so far.

I like that the game is better optimized than the first, runs at 60fps which is great. WD1 with Dansw mod looks graphically better though.

Try motorcycles. I found their handling to be a lot more like other, similar games.

Well, well, well…

http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-2-no-compromise-dlc-gets-content-showd0wn-now-free-update/

[quote]
The No Compromise DLC will be available on PS4 on April 18, and Xbox One and PC on May 18, adding a set of story missions that pit Marcus against the Russian mob. Meanwhile, Showd0wn, the multiplayer mode that was originally part of No Compromise, will now be available on all platforms through a free update coming on April 17. As a result, we’re announcing that No Compromise will now include new ability-granting outfits and vehicles, nonlethal weapons, and single-player time trials that weren’t originally part of the package.[/quote]

Free stuff coming:

April

• Showdown PvP mode
  • MP kart and motocross racing
  • Paintball rifle for nonlethal PvP
  • Armored truck
  • More cosmetics

May

• PvP for armored truck (not sure what this means)
  • New seamless PvP event
  • Improved leaderboards

June

• 4-player co-op open world party exploration mode

The No Compromise DLC comes with two new non-lethal weapons. There’s an “air shotgun” that blows objects/small cars/people around, and a “stun sniper rifle” that works exactly how it sounds. Everyone, including non-DLC owners will get a paintball gun added to their inventories.

These weapons should’ve shipped with the base game at launch. I don’t mean that in a “Ubisoft held back content for DLC” way. I mean that in the sense that these guns more closely hew to the non-lethal, less-serious aesthetic of the game. Blasting security guards and cops with a shotgun or SMG as Marcus just seems wrong.

Definitely agree. The group doesn’t really seem like the mass murder type.

Yeah, that’s my biggest complaint about the game.

I finished the game without ever using a firearm, so at least it was possible.

It’s possible, but it’s also very weird how quickly things escalate in the game. Like even if you use non-lethal weapons, guards and cops have no reservations about opening fire on you at the drop of a hat. Maybe that was supposed to be some kind of commentary on BLM and militarized police, but it didn’t feel like it.

There’s one set of missions in which the end goal is to YouTube prank an exec by making recording him falling off a treadmill. This plays out the same whether you sneak around and knock guys out with your 8-ball weapon or you go in guns blazing and murder a dozen innocent guys. That’s some dissonance.

Absolutely. I hated this, in fact. I hated how I was running through the city, suddenly ended up in some god damn parking spot where I shouldn’t and the cops/gangsters/whoever immediately open fire. Even in Mafia 3 I got a warning to GTFO first. Ridiculously lame design.

Good point! You don’t even get that in WD2. It’s just “Oh! Trespasser! Open fire!”

Thinking of getting this during the summer sale, I saw the 1.15 patch was released, so it is nice to see it being supported still.

Anyone play it recently?

I bought this cheap in some bargain bin. I dunno. They are trying too strong to make the game has much a multiplayer experience has possible. Too-hard.

The game have what seems real people from the hacking world informing them about stuff… in a way, but the actual missions are kind of …bland? I have not feeling the urge to unlock stuff, because theres nothing that feels all that cool. This feel like more a platform for something else than a game.

Yeah, I was really into it at first, I tend to play games rather obsessively (and only play one at a time.) But after a while I burned out on it, and the timed puzzles really were more work than I felt were worth what I was getting back in return and too arcadey for what I was wanting. I left it and went to play something else, realized I wasn’t hit by any urge to come back to it and uninstalled it.

FWIW

4-player co-op sessions coming.

http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-2-4-player-party-mode-coming-latest-free-title-update-july-4/

[quote]
Players can start a public or private party with room for up to four friends (or strangers, if you use matchmaking). From there, the party is free to explore San Francisco. “The cops will be there. You could try to take down the Red Zones. Everything that’s in the city of San Francisco will be there, so you can immediately have some fun exploring San Francisco with four people” Young says. “Then, at any time, you can launch the activities that support the 4-player Party – Bounties, Invasions, Loot Trucks, Races, Showd0wn, Man VS Machine Robot Fights, and the DedSec Virus events are all available for you to have fun with.”

Young also explains that the 4-Player Party mode is intended to be more about cooperation than competition, so anything that happens in this mode will not affect leaderboard standings.[/quote]

I picked this up on Monday and have played through the CyberDriver (Knight Rider) mission where you steal the car–and it miraculously gets auto-repaired before the cutscene. Anyway, my question is, does the song that plays during that sequence (by a certain early-mid 80’s band) ever become one you can play on Marcus’ cell phone?

This is going to be $12 at Walmart on Black Friday. ($15 at Target and Best Buy)

They had a sale today on Amazon where the Gold Edition was $28.32 from Amazon, but they must have sold out since Amazon is no longer listed as a seller and all other sellers at that page are asking lots more for it. I was going to come ask if the DLC/Season Pass was worth the extra $16 but I guess the question is moot now.

If the season pass was anything like it was in WD1, nope its not worth $5 even.

Hahah. Well, WD1 is a different beast. That one was not worth playing the base game. But from Telefrog’s and others’ posts, I take it the sequel is much better, even if it’s not stellar.