Watch Dogs Legion - It's London baby!

Box Quote!

On one hand, I really, really resent these kind of negative comments, but on the other hand, I can hardly argue with it, regarding this game.

Such a shame! But, on the positive side, I guess this is what Ubisoft actually does - it tries new stuff, and sometimes it just doens’t work, and maybe we should at least appriciate the effort. (If @tomchick says anything about Lazy developers here, I am going to scream…!).

It is a shame, and I doubt it’s lazy developers. For this one it “feels” like (having played it and shelved it) someone came up with this major concept - you can play as any one of many very diverse characters - which sounded like a real differentiator, but then various teams worked on various parts and glued them all together, and it just didn’t come together as a really well integrated game. For some of us who really like open world style games, it falls flat because you never have a core character that you feel like you’re role playing and you never get to know that character well enough to see the world through their eyes, make tough decisions in the way that person would based on who they are, you never really identify strongly with any one character. For me, the various characters felt more like switching through various weapons, with their strengths and weaknesses. I think they came up with what could have been a really interesting core concept, the ability to assume the identity of various characters, but weren’t able to pull off what was required to make that as interesting as it could have been.

I hazard to say but that Legion is a sleeper decent game, a valedictory by comparison rather than by its own excellence. There’s a lot of content but most of the storytelling is through world building. But i find myself playing Legion more than Valhalla, for ex. That combat is fairly hard and (usually) fatal on the higher difficulty levels, and the aesthetic of random nobodies rather than bald marine bad-asses gunning down hundreds of enemies has its appeal, especially when the game really does lean toward non-violence in many cases.

What Legion doesn’t have is that “just one more mission” feeling.

I started playing Legion over the weekend and, just like WD2, it is taking me a while to get into the groove of this game. So far I do enjoy the individual missions themselves, and solving each one is becoming more varied and challenging as the story progresses. I’ll likely stick with it but not sure I’ll complete it.

No 60fps on the PS5 is a major disappointment.

It doesn’t have great performance on high end PCs from what I recall.

Yup. Let’s look at the latest addition to the game as an example.

The new operative for your team is Mina, a psychic who can use her mind to possess NPCs. Oh, cool! Possession! That’s going to open up a lot of areas using that operator, you’d think. You’d be wrong. Once you possess someone, the game treats it just just like you’re using an operative in the correct uniform for the area. If you grab an Albion guard, getting too close to another Albion guard or doing anything other than walking around will just set off the alerts anyway. The power is even worse than using a uniformed operative, because while in possession mode, you can’t do any of your hacking abilities.

She also has a small AOE psychic stun blast which is pretty useless too. If you’re surrounded by 3 or more guards, it’s game over no matter what because the stun only lasts long enough to put down 2 of them.

Our next big patch for all platforms will be TU 4.5, which we’re aiming to deploy on June 1st. While we initially planned to release it in late May, we want to make sure that the different teams working on separate pieces of content have the time they need to create the best game experiences possible.

Last, but certainly not least, we know you have been patiently waiting for the Bloodline Story DLC. Alongside the Story Expansion, TU 5.0 will also bring Aiden and Wrench to the main game, allowing you to play the entire campaign of Watch Dogs: Legion with these two legacy characters.

Someone mentioned a discount code for Division 2 working on the NYC DLC on their Ubi Store. Anyone check if that sale applies to other franchises as well?

A game with no zombie mode - that cannot be…

Ooooh that means @tomchick is gonna revisit Watch Dogs 2!

Normally, I would agree. But after skimming through that video, I’m wondering if Ubisoft has managed to make a zombie mode that even I would find uninteresting.

-Tom

Wow the Undead is completely fucking broken as a single player. These guys need to (gulp) go play Call of Duty Cold War Outbreak to learn how to make a fun zombie mode that is accessible solo in early rounds as it is with a group.

So is this worth $20 for the base game? Same price on Ubi and EGS.

Re-reading Toms review and well , one star and all that… but I’ve played the other 2 games and liked parts of them enough to finish both.

Loved Watch Dogs 2. Wasn’t thrilled with this one. It’s not a bad game, it’s just supremely repetitive. Like, 30 minutes after the tutorial, you’ve seen everything the game will ever offer to you.

Well they focused on systems, which was ambitious and interesting, but ultimately lost that “hook” of improving your character, because you didn’t really have one.

I think it would be better to approach it like Messiah, where you steal various peoples’ bodies and gain their attributes and special abilities, but you still have that core RPG character progression.

Does it have the grafitti stuff from WD2 ? I loved the navigation puzzles to get to the spray paint spot.

I’d like to explore future London also. :)

I saw that the original character from WD1 is coming back in a dlc, and you can play as him for the entire game sometime at the end of June.

Sort of. It has “paste-ups” which is kind of the same thing, but there’s exactly zero puzzle aspect to it because you always have access to cargo drones that let you fly right to any spot.

It’s one of the dumb ways they short-circuited their own system.

I finished the campaign in Legion. Super repetitive, but diverting enough to drag myself across the finish line. I’d love for the Zombie mode to be awesome, but… the Alpha is rough.

You can pick up the season passes for WD: Legion or Valhalla for $20 apiece, from the Ubi store, w/ their promo code FORWARD.

Might as well put this here: