Watch Dogs Legion - It's London baby!

OH yeah I know, but the part where the CEO killed one guy… police commissioner? from behind got a chuckle for me. Not even trying a bit of grey morality in there.

They are wary of the preview they played

That’s exactly what I expected to be the case with the multiple protagonists, so not really a negative for me. Also, Ubisoft can’t write compelling stories for shit, so again, not a disappointment.

And crucially… it’s different. They’re always being panned for remaking the same game. This is something new. It’s also kind of inevitable that more PCs mean less individual identities.

If only different actually meant better.

Games where you don’t get to recruit random characters: a million
Games where you do: about one

Internet: Me no likey :(

I’m really looking forward to it. I like that Clint Hocking is trying something different. A lot of people hated Far Cry 2 for what it didn’t have, but I really appreciated it for what it did have. I’m getting similar vibes with that criticism above. A game can’t be everything. It has to make choices to try one thing or another. I appreciate that they’re trying something different here, and it might not work for me, but I want to give it a try.

Not only that, but does anyone else think the violence has escalated insanely in this game? Not only direct violence, but man - Organ harvesting factories in a game? Thats…really gross and not really something I think kids should be involved in. Or adults, for that matter.

I think WD1 had already a human trafficking ring side quest.

In any case, it seems a correction from WD2, where the bad guy was just a hipster CEO and you were an unfairly judged guy, so it was a bit silly going all gung-ho killing uh… normal security guards.
Now with eeevil antagonists, players can kill all they want. I guess that’s the intention.

It’s such a Ubisoft decision. “Oh, we really wrote ourselves into a corner with this inexplicably violent gameplay. How do we solve this? I know, we’ll write an over-the-top, nonsensical explanation so we can have guilt-free violence, and more of it!”

They DLC’d more non-lethal weapons into WD2 I think. I wonder if there will be non lethal options here.

It’s not the lethality that’s the issue. It’s the weapons. You’re still beating the shit out of people even if it’s a stun baton (cf Batman, which knows what sort of game it is). They created this open world franchise that for once had verbs other than shoot and stab, and then they decided what it really needed was more ways to shoot and stab, and stupider plots to justify it, rather than more and better uses for the other verbs.

No, your taser was a key non-lethal weapon. You did beat people to death with your yo yo though :(

You can kill people with a taser! :P

But the point is, yeah WD2 made an effort in giving more non-violent options like using drones or tasers, however at the end of the day the entire game structure is one of an action open world game. I guess it’s a question of perspective, for me an action/stealth game is still a type of action game, putting stealth parts isn’t enough, until you don’t remove or at least heavily discourage the action, it’s an action game.

Because it’s what ubisoft does, action games.

I wonder why they don’t apply the GTA/Mafia formula: you are a criminal, a hitman or thug or whatever.

that IS interesting - maybe its a cultural mindset? I am European, and I HATE being a criminal - It doesnt matter if I do the same thing, but if the narrative is me being a dick, or a criminal, I am not pleased or enjoying it.

Oh I don’t care particularly about all this. I’m just pointing out that, if you want to make an action game in a open world game based on a modern city, who is going to be shooting around, the easiest option is to make the game about criminals.

I wasn’t talking about you, but Ubisoft, who are european, whereas the makers of GTA are American :-)

Yeah, I don’t mind being a criminal in principle - GTA et al are fine by me. It’s that the game (WD2 anyway, and seemingly this one too) wants to pretend that you’re not a criminal but rather a pro-justice vigilante, but then basically forces, or at a minimum encourages, you to do criminal things, and certainly doesn’t come up with any sort of reckoning for it if you do.

oh, how many times are we going to have the ludo-narrative dissonance discussion! :P

All they had to do was leave in non-lethal options. In AC if you have empty hands you do a non-lethal takedown, but they didn’t bother doing similar things in the WDs where it made complete sense.

Likewise for your enemies - security guards with hand grenades were a much bigger threat to life as we know it than techbro CEO was!