/watched

Since many of us whine about the catass perception enormous amounts of gaming brings, but not enormous amounts of other hobbies, this article in the LA Times caught my eye today. This gentleman saw 177 movies, in the theater, in one year. Assuming two hours a movie on average, that’s almost 15 days total.

He’s self-deprecating about it, but the tone of the article is pretty neutral.

Hmm… that’s about 1 movie every other day. I don’t think someone who only played WoW every other day for 2 hours would do very well in the catass stakes.

15 days total would be a fairly well kitted-out level 60, though!

Yeah - 15 days /played over a year is nothing compared to some of the stuff in this thread (which was over a period of 8-9 months).

Agreed. A movie every other night is hardly outlandish if you didn’t live too far from the theater. I’m sure there are plenty who rent a similar average of movies.

Hell, americans on average watch more TV than that. If this guy watched movies in lieu of TV, he could well be below average catass viewing time.

Don’t you think he would get a different reaction from people if it was gaming instead of movie or TV watching?

Gaming for two hours every other night? No, I wouldn’t expect much of a reaction at all.

My WoW playing in 2005 added up to over 2 months or 60 days total time. The funny thing is, compared to some folks on the servers I don’t think I’m “hardcore” at all, though it partly has to do with how you spend your time (e.g. if I had been raiding or pvping instead of playing alts, I might have had a more hardcore-looking character).

Interesting, you folks seem to run in different circles than I do. I pretty much never mention gaming in the real world unless I know I am talking to other gamers, since it almost certainly brings a negative reaction. I have casually mentioned spending two hours at a game to a group of non-gamers, and you should have seen the jaws drop. The same group didn’t blink when discussing recent movies they saw.

That’s because gaming itself is held in distaste by those people no matter what the quantity. Two hours a week or two hours a day is all the same to them.

For the example above, if this guy had spent as much time in the theater as anyone who qualifies for cat-ass status in gaming then you can bet people would turn up their noses.

Which is the point of the thread. Spend 15 days a year in the theater, get a newspaper article. Spend 15 days with your PS2, be sure not to mention it. I’m not trying to change the world, just bitching in an (I assumed) understanding environment.

It didn’t sound like it from your first post:

Since many of us whine about the catass perception enormous amounts of gaming brings, but not enormous amounts of other hobbies, this article in the LA Times caught my eye today.

2 hours every other day (or 6-8 hours a week) doesn’t really qualify as “enormous amounts” for any hobby. Certainly not even close to cat-ass.

Yeah, gaming is still held in distaste by quite a few people. But to them, the quanity is completely irrelevant.

Sure it does. Referring back to the previous group I mentioned, two hours a day is the absolute maximum amount of free time for these folks. Between jobs, kids, and other obligations, an hour is more like it. Movies are a weekend-only thing.

Also, it’s a newspaper article, and the demographic for newspapers skews similarly to the group I mentioned - older, richer, more educated, more job responsibility. The editorial tone of the article doesn’t even blink at a leisure activity that would be all-consuming for many readers.

So, in the proper context, 15 days a year is enormous.

Sure it does. Referring back to the previous group I mentioned, two hours a day is the absolute maximum amount of free time for these folks. Between jobs, kids, and other obligations, an hour is more like it.

Er, so on average then that’s two hours of free time every other day. I’d bet you could watch 177 movies in that time!

Again, that’s not really notable- most people would spend that 2 hours every other day watching TV or a DVD at home or maybe doing some reading. The only things notable about this guy’s story is that his leisure was done in the theater and he actually found 177 movies released in a year to be worth his time.

I’m sure your same group of people you keep referring to would be shocked to find that they spent 15 days of their year watching TV or whatever their leisure activity of choice is. But people don’t typically quanitify their time in such a manner so are really clueless just how much time goes to their leisure activities.

My parents grew up in the days before TV and I remember when I was a little kid asking my mum what they did instead of watching TV and she said they went to the movies ( or ‘flicks’ in the slang of her day) 3 or 4 times a week. So the worst that can be said of the guy is that he is a little old fashioned. Of course there were newspaper pundits who complained that young people spent far too much time in the cinema, but there were newpaper pundits in Victorian times who complained that young people spent far too much time reading novels.

Soon they might combine the old and the new, and complain about people reading novels… in games!

Ok ok, I’ll go away now.