Watchout software pirates

A woman got nailed hard for being a part of an apparent big time pirating ring.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/biztech/11/25/counterfeit.software.ap/index.html

Not to jump to conclusions, but given her name and age, I suspect “worldwide pirate ring” means “China”.

Counterfeiting and warezing are hardly the same thing, so I don’t think many casual pirates are too worried about this bust.

Chet

how about this then? Should make things interesting.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-975320.html?tag=fd_lede1_hed

I thought a lot of providers were already moving to bandwidth caps and whatnot.

Surely organized crime was involved. Hacienda Heights is part of an area of Los Angeles with a large concentration of asian immigrants. With the counterfeits being moved from Taiwan (Nationalist China) to that area, there is no way you could carry on a criminal enterprise of that size without cutting in the local organized crime groups. The counterfeits were probably being distrubuted throughout those communities, which would make it more difficult for the traditional, English-speaking law enforcement groups to learn about it and take action. The CNN story says that Customs broke the case when they noticed suspicious shipments, so it probably would have continued unreported if not for that bit of observation by a total outsider.

Surely organized crime was involved. Hacienda Heights is part of an area of Los Angeles with a large concentration of asian immigrants. With the counterfeits being moved from Taiwan (Nationalist China) to that area, there is no way you could carry on a criminal enterprise of that size without cutting in the local organized crime groups. The counterfeits were probably being distrubuted throughout those communities, which would make it more difficult for the traditional, English-speaking law enforcement groups to learn about it and take action. The CNN story says that Customs broke the case when they noticed suspicious shipments, so it probably would have continued unreported if not for that bit of observation by a total outsider.[/quote]

Not so much organized crime believe it or not. From most the things I’ve read the government is indirectly (and often times directly) involved in situations of pirating within their home terretory, particularly China.

As for where to find the counterfeit copies, just go to any weekend computer fair, you’ll find the stuff by the rackful, hehe.

As for people who talk about the differences between this case and your day to day warez kiddies, there have been some recent cases where people have recieved some pretty serious prison time. Check out this page and look at the cases involving Sankus and Pattanayek, they each got over 40 months. As for the dude hiding in his room with a stash of cd’s, there’s always the story of the new york man who had the police show up because his wife and him were arguing a little too loudly. No big deal, right? Except for the stack of burned cds and three computers he had in his living room, two of which were used exclusively for burning games, music, and movies. Last I read he was in court and was facing huge fines and more prison time. hehehe

there’s always the story of the new york man who had the police show up because his wife and him were arguing a little too loudly. No big deal, right? Except for the stack of burned cds and three computers he had in his living room, two of which were used exclusively for burning games, music, and movies. Last I read he was in court and was facing huge fines and more prison time.

Hey, some people need a hundred backup copies of every game they own!