We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

We’ve had solar technology for that long, and it’s only just now becoming competitive with fossil fuels - but that required government incentives.

Law of thermodynamics, i.e. there is no free lunch. We’re going to pay for climate change one way or the other (and with a carbon tax, income taxes and/or rebates can be provided for incomes under a certain threshold.) I’m not saying don’t use carbon sequestration or nuclear (although for the latter costs for new plants would need to come way down; the only recent ones under construction in the US were cancelled., and not because of environmentalists.) At the same time, I don’t think we can summarily conclude human behavior can’t change.

Here’s a recent paper on the efficacy of a carbon tax (a few years back, Citibank economists also published a long, detailed paper demonstrating that mitigating climate change is more cost effective than not.)

Edit: Can’t post without some doom and gloom.
https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/keelingcurve/2018/05/02/carbon-dioxide-in-the-atmosphere-hits-record-high-monthly-average/