We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

Sure, happy to do that. I think it was only closed because he wanted to instead use his Zak account. I don’t figure he’ll mind you guys trying to ping him with this one.

-Tom

@zx81-Amd64 Anybody out there? If you get this, you can reply to the email to participate in the discussion on the new Discourse forums. As long as people @tag you, you will receive their messages via email…

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2016/07/26/487457043/the-remarkable-inconsistency-of-climate-denial

I think he is on to something here.

If you are old, it may be a good idea to be denialist. Since trying to prevent this catastrophe means making sacrifices now to save people from the future. If you are rich it could still be interesting. A lot of poor people is going to die, but you will probably float on top the tragedy and buy whatever is necessary to have a good life even on the worst of times. If you hare rich, old and profit from this shit (like you sell coal), then you have many reasons to confuse people and work so sacrifices are not made to avoid the catastrophe.

Good idea has in “I will hurt a lot of people lives, but not me”.

Should be the Republican’s motto this year.

/s Here’s a cheery report:
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/bams

To further continue the good news from the NOAA:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201607

July 2016 was the warmest month since temps began being measured in 1880. Hooray!

Sounds like a biased summary. I mean, in the global temperature deviation map, there’s that one corner of northeastern Siberia that didn’t see above-average temperatures. So it’s not truly global, right?

Nearly 8,000 lakes have formed in East Antartica

Scientists have confirmed that thousands of pristine blue lakes have appeared on the ice sheets of East Antarctica, and it’s got them very worried.

The problem? They’ve seen this kind of thing happen before. Greenland’s ice sheet has been disintegrating rapidly, losing a whopping 1 trillion tonnes of ice between 2011 and 2014, and research suggests it’s because of these lakes.

A team of UK researchers has analysed hundreds of satellite images and meteorological data taken of the Langhovde Glacier in East Antarctica, and found for the first time that between 2000 and 2013, nearly 8,000 of these lakes had formed.

Some of these formations, known as supraglacial - or meltwater - lakes, appear to be draining into the floating ice below, which could have serious consequences for the stability of the entire ice shelf.

CA passed a super aggressive bill to curb carbon emissions:

It’s essentially a policy experiment to see if it can be done.

There are many things in the S3 scenario that will never happen. Hi-speed rail for one. It is already way behind schedule, over budget and will never meet the ridership at the cost they plan for.

Also the article slightly mentions it but the carbon offset sales are way behind schedule and undersold. They were at only 30% at the last auction.

As for nuclear, the people in the state screaming about tougher environmental restrictions are also the same group trying to close the only Nuke plant still running. And you can bet no new ones will ever be built.

Very depressing:

The amount of wilderness loss in just two decades is staggering and very saddening," James Watson, the study’s lead author, said in a statement. “You cannot restore wilderness. Once it is gone, the ecological process that underpin these ecosystems are gone, and it never comes back to the state it was.”

The Guardian has a longer story:

Full report here

Three presidential candidates (Clinton, Stein, Trump) respond to questions on science issues (long).

http://sciencedebate.org/20answers

Visual aids are awesome, especially when they’re done with humor.

That’s really good.

I’m not always the biggest xkcd fan (Guys! Math! Amirite?!) but that’s outstanding.

That’s… sobering.

It is always so maddening to see climate change denialists try to make points when the carbon cycle is biology 101. And digging up stored carbon (fossil fuels) and creating CO2 (using it) adds to the overall CO2 levels, as we have been doing nothing to sequester carbon.

It is a simple equilibrium, and we are breaking it. It is fundamentally true, we are increasing CO2 levels. We are creating more than we can absorb, plain and simple. How can you argue against that?

I’m sorry, I couldn’t hear a word you said, what with my head being buried in the sand and all.