We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

Trump tweet from 2014:

They never take into account the cost of construction and distribution though; generally stuff in place is overall more cost efficient than buying new things to replace working equipment (obviously a different equstion when talking about replacement of broken items).

I love these kinds of questions though, energy efficiency is an easy and relatively painless thing everyone can participate in, and it’s kind of fun to come up with energy saving solutions and implement them. The Windows Desktop dock for Windows OS phones really appealed to me in that respect.

Am I the only one that, when reading something absurd and/or comical from Trump, has to double and triple check to make sure it’s not some parody account? It’s honestly incredibly hard to tell the difference.

Who knew that 2016 was the year parody and reality merged?
For instance:

What the actual fuck?

“Look, you can give your infant rat poison cause we’re all gonna die anyway.”

There’s a new study of global temperature in Nature going back a couple of million years, by averaging each 5000-year period. It found a couple of periods where the temperature was higher than our current period by about 2 degrees C. Those were without man-made greenhouse gases, of course. The report suggests that “stabilization at today’s greenhouse gas levels may already commit Earth to an eventual total warming of 5 degrees Celsius (range 3 to 7 degrees Celsius, 95 per cent credible interval) over the next few millennia as ice sheets, vegetation and atmospheric dust continue to respond to global warming.”

Saw this via Slashdot, which also references this Washington Post article on the report.

It’s interesting to Google your state’s (in my case province) energy mix and CO2 output per kwh generated.

For me, Ontario, Canada - population 14 million, coal is now shut down, so today’s energy mix is 17.3 gigawatts generated, of which 96% is non-fossil fuel. Current emissions are 19 grams per kwh. Not bad for a province that as recently as 5 years ago had one of the world’s biggest coal power plants (33,000 tons of coal per day though that was at its peak in the 1980’s).

RIP Great Barrier Reef.

25 million years yet couldn’t survive a 100 years of humans.

Alot of it is still left, but yes the bleaching has been bad. Ironically the state of Australia it is adjacent to loves to continually vote in the political party that is in utter denial about its decline.

In other words, see it while you still can!

A big point in the article is that if we literally stopped all greenhouse gas production today, the oceans would still continue to warm and acidify for years to come. Homeostasis has not yet happened.

Follow up to the eulogy posted yesterday:

This is interesting - nice to see we’ve made such progress these 100+years:

A newspaper clipping from 1912 that anticipates the global warming potential of burning coal is authentic and consistent with the history of climate science.

UN report: climate goals rapidly moving out of reach

Update following the US election: We are still screwed.

But you can go ahead and stop trying to fix it, because people are too stupid.

Well, we can see if the GOP actually does what they should and have said in the past, which is push nuclear power hard.

Because, I’ve said this before… Nuclear power is the solution to global warming. And the GOP has always been much more receptive to it than the Democrats. So let’s get that going.

That would be a very thin silver lining, at least. I gotta take what I can get at this point.

Hell, I’d support them on that.

But they are all ‘drill, baby, drill’ so fat fucking chance.

Yeah, it’s going to be total deregulation of coal mining and energy production.