We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

Love that video.

Saddest movie, maybe ever.

I wondered this. Is it a terrifying plunge to Venusification or is it just a dribble of piss in the ocean of piss that is human emissions output?

It sounds more dramatic the way that they worded it. TEN TIMES!

Oh I remember watching this one! It was like the prequel to Duskers, to me.

Bruce Dern has always done crazy well.

I went to grad school with the woman who ran the company (Interbots) that produced that robot.

She works at Google last I saw. Really smart lady.

What movie is that from?

Silent Running. Amazing film.

Indeed, amazing film. I recommend it often, especially as an example of early Bruce Dern work.

Leave it to China to turn a bike-sharing program into more pollution.

If anything typifies the scumbaggery and short-sightedness of the Trump Administration, itā€™s Scott Pruittā€™s EPA.

In practice - like most of this administrationā€™s actions - this will have little if any effect. US automakers all build to Californiaā€™s standards because that is one of the largest and also strictest markets. Itā€™s not cost-effective to make a car to sell in a ā€œpollutingā€ state and then another model to sell in Californiaā€¦ so they simply make their cars as if they were all to be sold in downtown LA.

Pruitt can repeal all the rules he wants to; as long as Californiaā€™s rules are the same or more restrictive, Ford and Toyota arenā€™t going to start making more polluting cars for US sales.

Not to mention that world markets are moving towards hybrid and EV vehicles as the 2030 standard. US car makers risk becoming regional car companies instead of global ones if they ignore China and other markets with stricter emission control plans.

California: bulwark of human survival.

Yā€™all are welcome!

Not so fast.

States rights!

Well, to be fair, breathable air is a pretty controversial goal. I totally get why the responsible parties in the Federal Government would want to do something about Californiaā€™s draconian policies.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/04/07/scott-pruitt-epa-accomplishments-rollback-217834

But the EPA rules that were in effect in 2016 are still the rules in 2018, despite Pruittā€™s efforts to overturn them. He tried to impose a unilateral stay on an Obama rule regulating climate-warming methane emissions from oil and gas operations; a federal appeals court deemed the stay ā€œunauthorizedā€ and ā€œunreasonable,ā€ so the methane rule is now in force again. He tried a similar maneuver to suspend Obamaā€™s restrictions on smog; after a group of state attorney generals sued, Pruitt reversed course, so those restrictions also remain in effect. Obamaā€™s EPA had worked on both rules for years, engaging with stakeholders and the scientific community, creating a lengthy administrative record. Pruitt still hopes to rewrite them, but success would require the same kind of meticulous process.

ā€œYou canā€™t just govern by press release. You have to do the hard work of developing a rule that can withstand judicial scrutiny, even though it isnā€™t sexy,ā€ says State Energy & Environmental Impact Center director David Hayes, an Interior Department official in the Clinton and Obama administrations. ā€œPruitt hasnā€™t been willing to do that, and thatā€™s why he isnā€™t really having much of an impact.ā€

Once again, gross incompetence saves the day.