We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

And mining employees are paid a fraction of what they once were, so those jobs just plain suck right now, being terribly dangerous, lacking conventional benefits due to employee status as non-union contractors, and to add insult to injury not even paying the rent. The entire industry should be banned and the employees given guaranteed basic income while they retrain.

It’s not going to hurt natural gas producers. As you say, many of those companies have coal production as well.

This is basically just going to feed tax dollars to them, for nothing.

It won’t hurt their natural gas business. It’ll just give them free money.

Election season is coming up, and you can’t have pissed off coal miners.

Propaganda and opinions are no substitute for data

Hurricanes just want to hang out more…

The new research suggests slow-moving tropical storms such as Harvey are becoming more common because of global climate change. Climate change is causing the poles get warmer, which in turn affects the atmospheric pressure. There is less and less difference in pressure between the poles and the tropics, and that causes the big currents of wind between the two areas to slow down.

Storms ride on those currents of wind, kind of like a boat in a stream. “The wind itself that carries the tropical cyclone within it is slowing down, and therefore the tropical cyclones are slowing down,” Kossin explains.

We always see things about record breaking renewables. Here’s the sort of thing you rarely see:

Hey even our R guy voted aye.

A dem made up for it by voting No. What’s your problem Eliot Engel?

I just saw that too.

I hate everything about this administration.

Since this thread is almost always something bad (and although not directly related to climate change), a rare bit of good news:

That is good news. If the governments involved are valuing their priceless sites, well hopefully they’ll be rewarded by the world for doing so for the world.

It’s a huge tourist draw, and unlike many of their neighbors, Belize is relatively stable so good for them and us (the reef is spectacular, and Belize is a relatively inexpensive Caribbean vacation.)

They were in the top five of a place to go for my first Caribbean vacation. They lost out because I just wanted an all inclusive so I could pretty much just turn my brain off. There were some lovely options though. It’s going to be on a bucket list I am sure.

“We need more environmental hardliners in Congress,” she told In These Times magazine earlier this week. “We need a Marshall Plan for renewable energy in the United States. The idea that the Democratic Party needs to be moderate is what’s holding us back on this.”

Swoon it is.

Cool idea. As usual, the economics is the hard bit.