We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

Yes, you’re negating AAA’s survey of 4,286 households, and replacing it with a sample of one household. Genius, that.

There was a lot more to that video and they did a far better job of fact checking.

And they used better statistics.

No one sane says they will. More bus and rail lines are needed, obviously. But what they will do is eliminate most of the need for private car ownership, especially in cities, because it will simply be cheaper not to own.

Getting fewer people to own their own car should be the goal of environmentalist. Fewer cars means less pollution to build them, but also fewer necessary park lots, which in turn means more green spaces.

Many cities in Europe have banned cars in the intersections, allowing only buses or underground transit. The net result is a clean area that is more friendly to foot and bike traffic.

How can you tell?

Self-driving cars are ‘cheaper’ to operate by only the labor cost of the driver. Otherwise all the same manufacturing, operating, insurance costs have to be offset by the fees paid by the passenger. The only way it becomes ‘cheaper’ is if there are net fewer cars needed to fill everyone’s needs, and it is not at all obvious that this is the case.

It might be the case with big changes in existing routines: Living closer to work, changes in zoning, shifting work hours to smooth rush hour peaks, big cultural changes at employers to permit that, more willingness to share cars, etc. But all those options exist today without self-driving cars, and they get very little traction at all. So I’m skeptical that the whole world will change because cars suddenly don’t have drivers, and that means the costs won’t change. Remember, the commuter has to be in the car anyway, so having him or her drive is effectively free already.

Indeed. I completely agree. Electric cars have plenty of environmental overhead compared to buses and trains, and cars should be banned in inner cities in any event. But in this country, it’s politically impossible to legislate against cars at present, while market conditions will cause fleet-owned self-driving electrics to dominate over time.

This is me. My plan is that in three years I will replace my current commuter car with an all-electric. My daily drive is about 22 miles, round-trip, which is a trivial fraction of a modern electric’s range. However, we will be keeping my wife’s hybrid SUV for the once-every-few-months road-trip.

On the subject of self-driving cars, I am of the opinion that once fully realized, it will result in a substantial reduction in the total number of vehicles manufactured each year, but not the number on the road at any given time.

The BLS reports that households spend $13 per day on operating cars excluding the purchase price of the car, and that they spend $23 per day operating cars if you include the purchase price of the car. It’s hard to imagine a self-driving car service operating at costs lower than that. Certainly people who have cars won’t leave them at home and pay more to use a car service. This is even assuming that they will work, which to some extent they will not work.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/cesan_08292017.pdf

They do a fact check episode. They have history of getting good research and also consulting with credible experts.

Personally, I have made some of the best changes. I work remotely and I got an electric Lawn Mower when my used lawn mower finally broke down (which I have to charge halfway through, since my lawn is a smidge to big)!

That says you believe them, not much else. In any event, it’s a straw-man question, since I wasn’t talking about replacing basically new hybrids with electrics tomorrow. I’m talking about the millions of people who will buy a new car over the next 10 years anyway.

That’s 60 million cars at current trend rates.

Dude, they do an excellent job citing their sources, unlike you. And it’s a lot of fun to watch. It’s nice to see trained scientists and experts on Television. Anyway, a lot of it is on Youtube.

The goal should be to not have 60 million cars built! Buying a used car is always the better option for the environment. You just want tax breaks for your new cod piece (in this case I’m suggesting that the only reason to buy an electric car over a used on is to impress the other people (most likely the opposite the sex) with how sensitive you are to the environment, rather than actually because you care about the environment).

Personally, I am always tempted by the idea of replacing my car with a moped or scooter.

Dude, which sources didn’t I cite?

My goal should be to have all the moneys, too, but that’s not going to happen either. People in America can’t live without cars without massive changes in the way the entire society and economy operates. Those changes aren’t happening anytime soon, so people are going to buy cars.

This is pretty damned funny, given that I don’t have a car at all, and am not likely to buy a new one, because I specifically went looking for a place that I could live without a car, and be able to afford to live there, and found one, and sold my codpieces, and my house, and all my stuff, in order to move there. So go sell your condescending bullshit somewhere else, dude.

Yes, yes it was. But for many people, the car is just a codpiece. Kudos to you for not having a car, and being able to do without. Now, lets make that a possibility for more people in America! Let’s not just give more money, in the form of tax breaks, to the car companies, but let’s plot out a path that would stamp out car ownership.

Let’s give those tax breaks to railroads and to bus lines, let’s give those tax breaks to towns and cities. Let’s taxes parking lots and oil. Let’s run them all out of business!

You cited one source, and let’s face it, the American Automobile Association (which I am a member of) wants people to own cars.

How do they achieve that goal through the clever trickery of ‘proving’ with a false survey that people drive on average 29 miles per day? That’s the tricky question, isn’t it? Maybe you can stop stroking yourself long enough to answer that one.

This is… not likely to happen. Like, ever.

Yeah, sure, but where’s your video, dude?

LOL

Who is to say. It’s not like we still have a horse and Buggy industry, at least not outside of Amish country. Nothing about the automobile makes it that much different, except really good marketing and bribes.

And yes, there is a video.

The difference is that we have an entire society in America built around the individual freedom to go wherever the hell we want, at all times.

Given how spread out we are, that’s just not gonna change.

You can absolutely achieve mass transit solutions that are better than what we have, for specific segments of our transportation infrastructure. You could improve it for things like shipping. You could replace air travel with trains, which are infinitely more efficient. You could make better mass transit in densely populated urban areas.

But you’re never gonna get rid of cars. People in rural areas need to actually go places. You aren’t gonna build a train station at everyone’s house.