We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

Too bad Uber and Lyft are a suckers bet for people who drive the car.

I agree. The gig economy is sucking people into less than min wage work with no benefits and all the liability, however, the idea might still have merits
 the ability to have access to cars without owning one with more flexibility than the big trans.

Really? This was Oregon? I imagine they gave waivers to every school and youth group/club that involved any kind of travel.

Yeah.

Driving with a passenger younger than 20 years old, unless he or she is an immediate family member. Driving between 12 a.m. and 5 a.m., unless for work or school purposes, or while you are accompanied by a licensed adult at least 25 years old.

They changed it a few times since I was young, but I am fairly certain this came up when I was a minor driving. I’m not aware of any allowed waivers.

“Work or school purposes” covers a lot of ground I’m guessing.

Okay, anyone under 18 driving in California I think can only have family in the car. I think that is another reason you don’t see kids get licenses, because the days of the one kid driving everyone around is over.

You’re right, that probably did help push the generations after us in that direction too. When I was a kid, someone with a car and gas money and was also your friend, that wasn’t just freedom for you but others too
 awesome stuff.

Oh, wow, so kids are growing up these days without knowing the joy of arguing over who put in how much for gas money? And they’re not learning the importance of thinking ahead and calling “shotgun” before any other passengers? Crazy.

Haha, yeah, well as much fun as that was, when parents kept giving their kids giant trucks and SUVs so that if one of them made a mistake 5 of them died
 it was bad

Is that the reason? None of them have sited that personally, which doesn’t mean anything, just curious.

None of the teenagers I know care about getting a license. This drives us all batty because A) it’s annoying to have to drive them around and B) incomprehensible.

The secret there is to stop driving them around.

Or make it stupid annoying. “Sure, you can help me get groceries then.”
“I gotta make a quick stop at X.” Make sure the stop is no less than half an hour.

I mean, that’s what my parents did. Though usually they just told me I could walk.

When I was a kid, i couldn’t wait to get my license, because it was freedom from my parents.

I didn’t want my parents driving me places. I didn’t want my parents knowing where I was.

Here in Virginia, young drivers are limited to one passenger unless they are (a) family, (b) commuting to school, or © commuting to work. So driving your date to a movie is fine, but driving six of your friends to a concert is not.

My daughters were both anxious to get their licenses and took the various tests on the very first day they were able to. A buddy of mine has three sons and none of them had the slightest inclination to get their permit or license. No one reason seems to stand out to me differentiating them, but the boys all spend a LOT of their time playing on-line games with their buddies.

Just another anecdote from Northern Va: when my son turned driving age, he showed no interest in getting his learner’s permit, unlike me, who got it the first day I was eligible. In fact, he didn’t get his license until he was maybe 19 or so, and the only reason he got it is that my wife took him to the DMV to get an ID card and the person behind the counter directed him to the driver test computers - being the agreeable person he is, he sat down at he computer, took the test, passed it, and came home with his learner’s permit!

All of his friends were similarly late in getting licenses. When we talked with him about it later on he mentioned that he had a friend from school who was seriously injured in a car accident, and that made him (and his buddies) a little reluctant to get their licenses.

Maybe one reason. Another is drivers ed and drivers training are no longer taught in the schools, so parents have to pay for them privately. However once you turn 18 you can just walk into the DMV (and wait in line for weeks) and take the written and driving tests and if you pass you get a license.

But I imagine for many it is a cost thing. Driving is expensive, and if you have alternatives why bother with it.

Is that the law now? You have to have taken a driver’s education class to get a license at 16 but can do without the class at 18?

I was living in Georgia at the time and got my learner’s permit at 15, which allowed me to drive a car as long as a parent who was licensed to drive (or maybe it was just another licensed driver) accompanied me. I remember there was a driver’s education class being offered at my high school but I never took it and instead used my learner’s permit to drive around the UGA Coliseum parking lot with my dad.

I think that is how it works in California. I had one daughter get her license at 16 and one waited to 18.

There is some talk of putting the ed and training classes back in high schools but it would be pretty expensive to start up. Ed now is basically an online course. Training is paying a private company for the service.

Well I didn’t have a cellphone as a kid either. My parents sent me into the wild and hopefully I come back. If there was a payphone around, I might have to call them once in the afternoon or evening. These days it seems like parents sent a text and check with their kids
 all day long.

When i got my driver’s licence I am pretty sure the Driver’s Ed courses were optional and maybe, maybe offered a discount for insurance, but it depended on your insurance. I am pretty sure I didn’t have a driving log of any kind either.

Yes, that does sound familiar! I think that’s how it worked in Georgia as well, with the class possibly making your insurance cheaper. I also remember my sister and I having to bring our reports cards into the State Farm office to get some sort of “good grades” insurance discount as well. Wow. Hadn’t thought about that stuff in years.

Yes to the good grades too.

So when I was a kid, Driver’s Ed was basically used for an insurance discount and so parents didn’t have to teach you to drive much; the class did that. They still went out with me, but looking back it seemed like something middle class families, or pretend middle class families, did, because it wasn’t cheap, with the loose and not all real promise that insurance may be cheaper as a result.