We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

The only good things about intense, large hurricanes is that it’s like the only natural phenomenon taking heat out of the earth.

Narrator: It was something worse.

Doesn’t matter what happens, the anti-climate change conservatives will say it’s just nature, not us humans, that have done it. Those bastards will accept no responsibility whatsoever.

But that is the part that is so stupid:

I don’t care if it is caused by humans.
I don’t care if somehow the dinosaurs are getting back at us for supplanting them.
I don’t care if it is an alien plot, or the hand of God, or just a series of “1” rolls on a 20-sided die.

If the climate is changing, and it is going to make the world miserable or uninhabitable, then we should be fucking doing something about it regardless of the cause.

Yeah but if you don’t concede that it is caused by humans, then why would “doing something about it” be reducing carbon emissions? It’s just the hand of God, so “thoughts and prayers” is really the best approach…

Maybe we should have “thoughts and prayers” written on our species’ tombstone.

Oh I agree. Even if you don’t believe in climate change, better to err on the side of caution.

It’s politicized now and probably too far along to reverse, so there’s little hope as I see it. Best case scenario is probably slowing it so we have more time to adapt. If I was young I wouldn’t be buying property in Florida now. It’s not just rising sea levels but the heat and more erratic weather.

I don’t think a lot of people argue that carbon emission is good though right? Reducing bad things is usually good regardless of the source.

I wish we had taken a different approach, not because science is wrong or because I don’t believe man has contributed to the problem just because… this approach is not working.

Short of measures that would cause hardship to a great number of people, I’m not sure what would work. We need better public transportation, more solar and wind power, a bigger push to electric vehicles (along with building a great number of solar powered charging stations), more bike paths, energy rationing to cut down on use, etc.

Well see this is the thing. We’re not sure that would work, sure. But what we’re doing today, we know it’s not really working. I don’t really see that changing until the ocean shows up at someone’s front door. Don’t you think we should try different tactics before that happens? Like why keep doing what does not work?

CO2 is in the air we breathe, how can it be a bad thing and called a pollutant? It’s essential for life!

This was literally one of the major denialist arguments, at least back when they were at least trying to come up with arguments for not caring about climate change.

It’s “natural.”

I think one of the Kochs said it would be good because it would create more arable land in northern latitudes.

There’s no underlying logic to any of it except “libs want it so it must be opposed.” And among certain individuals with a financial stake, “regulation costs us money so let’s reduce regulation.”

I am all for a shift into wind and solar, spending more on public transportation, energy rationing, etc. Unfortunately conservatives typically wouldn’t support these things.

Maybe I should try to rephrase. I feel like the current approach to climate change and shifting resources is very close to a failure. We have one side that refuses to budge at all and has taken it up as a political mantle to fight against to show how much winning they’ve got going on. We have the other side that approaches it year after year, with similar arguments and different but loads of data and the ability to change few if any minds. Then we have the general populace that might align with one or two of those groups but it seems like some or many are kind of middlish.

It just seems like the we have to do something now before it’s too late; we’re destroying the planet and it’s the only one we got isn’t really persuading very many so maybe the approach just needs to change. We’ve been running with those kinds of messages for awhile, and no matter how many times people wander around and say wow this is the worst fire season I’ve ever seen, or gosh these storms seem to get worse and worse, and is that sea over there rising, they’re not equating this to climate change or something meaningful on a daily basis.

So is Lead and Arsenic.

I mean, the GOP doesn’t believe it exists (or claims not to) and the GOP holds power. That’s about all she wrote at the federal level.

At the state level and among private actors, things are being done. But bottom line, if you don’t acknowledge the problem, you’re not going to worry about solutions.

And remember, one bowl of lead and arsenic will feed you for the rest of your life.

So more of the same. Okay, well. I know they try around here. We’ll just keep on doing I guess.

I definitely sympathize with the idea that we need to change a losing game (or at least a game that’s not winning fast enough). I don’t know what a credible alternative strategy would be. You have to somehow convince more people that the threat is real, but I don’t know how to do that. The partisan blast doors are down. Any idea of what we could use for dynamite?