We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

Yeah dude, no one was talking about climate change until Cortez!

I mean at the congressional level, where it was a tentpole item of their platform?

No. Not really like this. Even Al Gore’s action was more descriptive than proscriptive.

I will say that The Uninhabitable Earth has helped me resolve an issue I’ve been wrestling with over the past several months which is that, once I became convinced that near term societal collapse is inevitable, I decided that I was no longer going to share my opinions on this subject with anyone I know personally. The dilemma was this – If the person listening to my views on the subject believed me, I would be responsible for convincing them of something so incredibly horrible that it would alter their entire world view and could produce levels of depression and anxiety that would have real world effects on their lives in the present. Even when I tempered my views on the subject, I could see that the discussion caused immediate and obvious depression in the people I was talking too.

The Uninhabitable Earth, however, has convinced me to broach the subject, at least hypothetically, with my brothers so that the seed is planted to consider plans for adapting as things continue to unfold. The short term negative effects are offset by the benefits of being, at very least, mentally prepared for what’s to come.

Probably China.

Interview with the author.

Another casualty in the rise of right wing populism.

Europe’s Populist Right Threatens to Erode Climate Consensus

I’m not quite to the point where I think near-term collapse is inevitable, but I have certainly been feeling the last few years like I’ve been living in a twilight zone episode. For instance, recently I met with a financial adviser about the trajectory I am on for retirement savings. Good news - I am in pretty reasonable shape financially! They could even tell me how much savings I will have when I am 95 if I put a certain amount away each year. By convention, this is the grownup, reasonable thing to do and to worry about.

But it feels completely absurd to project out these constant rates of return more than 50 years into the future as if we aren’t staring the abyss in the face right now. Somehow making sure I have enough to buy a hamburger in 50 years is real and important but wrecking the basic physical processes we depend on to survive in that time frame is all theoretical and crazy-talk.

I’ve been feeling exactly the same thing. Wondering if I should be hoarding stone knives and bearskins instead of money. Or maybe quatloos.

Bottle caps. And scraps of metal and leather straps. For the construction of weapons and ammo.

I think one thing people tend to overlook is the importance of Pogs and Beanie Babies to the post collapse economy. Okay, that’s two things but the point is, it’s important to diversify your portfolio

Lots of dog and cat food.

If the Mad Max game taught me anything, it’s that body cavities filled with maggots are a great food source.

Either that, or lots of dogs and cats. (I kid here, of course–though dogs would make great protection).

Some good news for a Tuesday.

Yay!

(Reads news)

Oh. Sarcasm.

Look at the bright side. Add Environment to Climate Change, and you get 100.

Fucking Republican scaremongering. We’re facing a potentially catastrophic scenario in climate change, but people are absolutely shitting themselves over terrorism instead. Way to go, America.

Environment is quite a bit higher up; it’s just not a global focus. You can also teach about climate change via Education although there are plenty of debates, still over what educating the public, students, actually means.