We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

Bottle caps. And scraps of metal and leather straps. For the construction of weapons and ammo.

I think one thing people tend to overlook is the importance of Pogs and Beanie Babies to the post collapse economy. Okay, that’s two things but the point is, it’s important to diversify your portfolio

Lots of dog and cat food.

If the Mad Max game taught me anything, it’s that body cavities filled with maggots are a great food source.

Either that, or lots of dogs and cats. (I kid here, of course–though dogs would make great protection).

Some good news for a Tuesday.

Yay!

(Reads news)

Oh. Sarcasm.

Look at the bright side. Add Environment to Climate Change, and you get 100.

Fucking Republican scaremongering. We’re facing a potentially catastrophic scenario in climate change, but people are absolutely shitting themselves over terrorism instead. Way to go, America.

Environment is quite a bit higher up; it’s just not a global focus. You can also teach about climate change via Education although there are plenty of debates, still over what educating the public, students, actually means.

There’s also the time element. This isn’t an issue we can kick back and develop some solid curriculum for 3rd graders about so that they’ll be prepared to deal with it when they’re 30. It’s sort of hit the point of “issue we’re already too late to stop from coming awful in our lifetime, but maybe we still can save civilization if we start five minutes ago.”

Which is why I maintain my carefully cultivated posture of “people are too fucking dumb and selfish to deserve to survive this impending doom; what is the point of hope?”

There probably hasn’t been a generation alive that didn’t experience a sense of hopelessness. Whether it was genocide, loved ones being shoved in ovens, watching others being thrown over the side of ships to drown and die, uncontrolled disease or the constant threat of nuclear war… you don’t give up hope because doing so is unthinkable.

Also, I was thinking more in colleges than kindergarten. I think the the young push environmental issues a little higher, and while trying to keep the local river clean isn’t a global change it is an awareness that can be used to encourage global understanding and change.

I resemble this remark to an extent, but I’d modify the end as “…what is the point of hoping people will change? Let’s instead pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that technological advances and societal changes forced by widespread misery will let the human race survive in the new reality.”

Like a range where they can shoot at radroaches with their new BB gun?

Here’s a bill for the current Congress. It died last session. Not that it has any chance of passage but we need to start somewhere. You can google the bill if you want to read the actual language (warning, that’s a bit of a chore.) The downside is this bill prohibits EPA from regulating carbon emissions for 10 years.

Letters and emails aren’t as effective as calling but the link below makes it a one click effort (fwiw my representatives - all Democrats - always respond to email in some form or fashion.)

Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act

The Bipartisan Climate Solution

H.R. 763
https://citizensclimatelobby.org/energy-innovation-and-carbon-dividend-act/

A small scale war with a hundred small (Hiroshima-sized) nuclear warheads would cool temps to lower than any time in the last 1,000 years, colder than the Little Ice Age or post-Krakatoa. It’d kick up enough debris that noon on a cloudless day would get the same amount of sun as a cloudy day does now, even 10 years later.

WW 2 level death toll on day 1, perhaps another billion dead from hunger in the following years.

It could happen considering recent saber rattling between India and Pakistan.

“Environmental consequences of nuclear war”:

I wonder if anyone has floated dropping nukes in a desert or other abandoned area as a means to create a small nuclear winter effect to combat climate change?

I bet Edward Teller would be working on it if he were still alive.