We Happy Few developed by Compulsion Games

We Happy Few is the tale of a plucky bunch of slightly terrible people trying to escape from a lifetime of cheerful delusion. Set in a drug-fuelled, retro-futuristic city in an alternative history 1964 England, you’ll have to blend in with its other citizens, who don’t take kindly to people who don’t abide by their not-so-normal rules.

Still in Early Access, it appears to be coming along quite nicely. And if I may say, is very visually stunning! ;) I couldn’t find a thread for this other than a mention by Tom and a post or two in the general Kickstarter thread.

This was a Kickstarted game:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/112359230/we-happy-few-welcome-to-wellington-wells-you-saucy/description

Developer Website:

Mentioned by Tom a few months back:

And recently updated to offer 3 different styles of play (as people complained they didn’t like what was originally offered):

Birdwatcher - Explore with just enough challenge to keep it fun.
Downer - A more dangerous world, mistakes have consequences. (The game developers original vision)
Vigilante - The game is trying to kill you. Politely, with bigger sticks!

ALSO! Permadeath is an option!

Newest update 3/2017:

A few previous videos:

And it appears that after 2 more major updates, it will be hitting 1.0 later this year! Roadmap here:

I am really looking forward to this game. :D

From the name I was expecting something about St Crispin’s Day. That…that’s creepy as hell.

This seems like a terrible game for Early Access. Okay it appears to have some randomization each time you play so I guess it’s not that bad.

I’ve been keeping an eye on this, as it’s in Early Access on the Xbox One. It does seem to be coming along well, and I’ll probably jump in soonish.

I remember watching the E3 videos last year, and I also considered checking it out through Early Access on the Xbone. But I didn’t really know what to make of it, so I’ve been holding off until I can hear more. Gives me Bioshock vibes, though that may just be the masks everyone wears.

Has this changed a lot since last summer? I tried the preview build on XBone and while the theme was fascinating and well conveyed the actual gameplay seemed rather bland and repetitive. I vaguely remembered it being another game where you had to eat and drink every 2 minutes because game designers don’t understand survival quite yet.

Of course that was really early so maybe it has been refined quite a bit.

Yeah, I did the same thing: tried it for free for 30 minutes when it hit Xbox Preview. I really should have waited until the game was farther along.

If you go to the Game Hub for the game on Xbox, you can look at their twitter feed. According to that, there’s been a steady stream of updates, mostly major-seeming, every month or two IIRC. I was actually looking at it last week.

The latest update mentioned the 3 new playstyles, so it sorta plays like 3 different games.

Birdwatcher - Explore with just enough challenge to keep it fun. Think Walking Simulator
Downer - A more dangerous world, mistakes have consequences. (The game developers original vision) Think Survival Game
Vigilante - The game is trying to kill you. Politely, with bigger sticks! Think Bioshock Like

Those read like difficulty levels to me. Is there any significant gameplay difference between them? As in different verbs or different emergent rules?

Not sure as I don’t own it, I see they even made a video covering what the gameplay styles change:

When I was playing, I was pretty annoyed by the need to eat and drink and all that. It seemed pretty inappropriate for this style of game and gameworld. I was hoping to explore this quirky world, and maybe talk to people and fight sometimes, not scrounging for food while I did all that.

So Birdwatcher does sound better to me.

That’s how I play Subnautica, and I feel no shame at all. I was super glad to hear they put that in here.

So price increase on August 16th!

FYI, if you a monthly humble subscriber its only $27 thanks to the 10% discount.

Price increase tomorrow along with the final major update, then they are going to work on finishing the story and head toward 1.0

The final game will contain the full story we have been working on for the past 3 years. A lot of gamers who haven’t played the game think it is currently just a survival sandbox, completely unaware that it contains around 90 fully voiced over encounters or that you can remove the survival settings. The game has changed a great deal since the Early Access release, so if you see people around talking about “just another survival game”, we’d appreciate if you pointed them in the direction of recent changes :)

The look of this game is stunning.

Did they put any fun into this game yet?

We are thrilled to finally announce that We Happy Few will be launching worldwide both digitally and at retail on April 13, 2018, for Xbox One, PC, and PlayStation 4! Mac and Linux will be arriving on or shortly after that date.

Season pass? What?