We have never talked about Beer

I always prefer darker beers it’s just these barrel aged versions that I don’t like.

I have lots of experience with stouts, porters, and the darker belgian ales being my favorite, but I am reaching out into Dunkels and now it sounds like I need to checkout some Schwarzbiers.

I’m telling you man, if you can find Kostritzer give it a go. I fell in love with it when I was in Germany.

THIS

Agree whole-heartedly. The barrel aged stuff is just too overpowering. If I wanted to drink whiskey I would just drink whiskey.

I’ve never really liked Guinness but I am getting into milk stouts and porters now. Always liked bitters and Irish Ales. Caffreys and Kilkenny were my favourite although difficult to find in the US,

Guys, please send me all your horrible barrel aged stouts so I can dispose of them safely.

No, send the stouts here!

I agree, some barrel-aged stuff is dreadful. Every brewery now has to have something aged in some sort of barrel .Many of them are terrible. Many of them, though, are luscious and tasty good. I don’t drink whiskey, but I like the taste of bourbon in moderation, so bourbon-barrel aged stouts are some of my favorites, when they are good. I also don’t drink much, like one beer at a sitting, so the strength isn’t that much of an issue.

My favorite barrel-aged stouts include the Barrel Aged Yeti, from Great Divide, Oskar Blues’ Ted-Fiddy in the stovepipe, Dragon’s Milk, from, um, can’t recall, the one from Alesmith, and the one from Keegan. Some of these are really expensive though, and they all pack a wallop. But, they avoid the cloying sweetness and muddled flavors of some.

But yeah, it’s easy to get crappy ones.

You know, if you haven’t already, dip into a sour beer or two. You can start light, with something like a Lambic, Geueze or Gose, and move on to the American versions of the same, which usually get a bit more sour. The reason I suggest this is that a LOT of them are put into barrels completely different tasting than the typical, “Bourbon Barreled Russian Imperial Stout,” that everyone seems to make. Not uncommon are wine, champagne, sherry, rum, or other barreled sours.

Sours aren’t for everyone, but I’m of the opinion there IS a sour out there that everyone would like.

Late edit: If you want to see the stuff that can be done with a sour, check out NC’s own Wicked Weed’s Funkatorium (sour and funk beers only.)

Also, it’s Friday. I’ll be partaking of a couple of these tonight. Cheers, folks!

I have had one or two that are I thought were OK, would drink again. Most of them are however flat disgusting. So I avoid the genre now without a specific recommendation because a misstep is likely to result in an undrinkable beer.

I can understand that. I think the problems I run into with sour beer are similar to someone that doesn’t like “too much” hops. You can get something okay, then the next one curls your lips back into your head. Too much variance.

If you want to drink the best sour beer then just drink Cantillon (probably easier in Europe than the US but the point stands!)

Amen. I’ve gotten it maybe 5 times or so, only one bottle I was able to source myself. It’s not super rare here, but it’s hard to find in some states.

I think I’ve had three different beers from Cantillon?

Expensive though yeah? Although not always cheap here, a local bar is looking for the equivalent of $27 for a bottle of Fou Foune ffs!

I can’t get them local, only online, but this is what I’d be looking at:

http://www.trappistworld.com/store/index.php?id_category=7&controller=category

similar prices to the UK to be fair!

edit - didn’t scroll down as far as the fou foune last night - $93!!! good grief. now that $27 doesn’t look so bad :)

I’ve tried a few sours and haven’t really warmed to them. But I will definitely try some more.

Sours seem to be the thing du jour in the US crafts, possibly because the fruit thing (of several years ago) didn’t go very far and there are only so many ways you can cram a bazillion hops into an IPA and still feel creative.

Thursday night boardgaming session, and our friend Charles brings these two beauties:

Both were very good, but that Wake Up Dead nitro by Left Hand Brewing…holy fuck. That is a damn good beer. Paging @Chappers! Thanks to you I knew to try it without reservation. I love a good Imperial Stout, and this one did not disappoint.

I’m considering having another one right now in order to make Resident Evil: Apocalypse, which I am watching right now, somewhat tolerable.

-xtien

Hey, sounds like one to try! Thanks for the tip from both of you.

Try the Sierra Nevada Narwhal imperial Stout as well, it is very good.

Hey, that one I’ve had!! We have the awesome benefit of getting the east coast Sierra Nevada location in Asheville, about two hours away. It’s a great beer drinking destination city, and the addition of that facility, holy cow is it awesome. If any of you are anywhere near Ashville at any time, plan a visit. And plan on having a meal there and if possible enjoying the weather outside with some of their live music venues they frequently have.