We have never talked about Beer

Tonight I will be sampling the following:

I will let you all know soon my thoughts if I can remember them.

That looks like a damned fun time right there.

That’s one of my favorite porters! The Ten Fiddy is also quite good for the style I thought. I haven’t tried the Wake up Dead yet.

Pretty much all Founders’ brews are great. TenFidy is excellent.

Picked up Founders KBS 2017 a few days ago. Looking forward to cracking that one.

One of the staff at the beer place I get most of my beer from gave me the heads up on KBS (Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, for anyone wondering) being available, though as always in short supply. Found a few four packs at a local market, took it to the counter…

…and was shocked to find out the little sucker was like $26 for the four pack. I gulped and went ahead, as, hell, YOLO or w/e.

It is…good. I’m pretty damn sure it ain’t worth over six bucks a bottle though. I reminds me of Founders’ Backwoods Bastard crossed with, well, their stout. It’s very good, but is it worth the price, when you can get Alesmith’s Speedway or Oskar Blues’ TenFidy, or Dragon’s Milk, or any number of great stouts for a lot less? Um, not to me.

KBS is a collector for what it’s worth. A 2 to 4 year-old bottle of KBS ends up being pretty damned good. It’s similar to Goose Island’s Bourbon County in both love for it and collectability. Hell, just about anything barrel aged usually has a good following.

The whale I have yet to ever locate, is Founders CBS, the Canadian Breakfast Stout.

Here’s a little info on it:

Yeah, I get the whole collect and store thing. I’m, um, too impatient to actually store and not drink it though…

In the past I’ve stored too much, mostly stouts, sours and a few Belgians of various types. I’ve slowly gone through them and have a few left. I need to not store any more though, because I want my space back.

I don’t blame you and all for not doing that.

In a perfect world, where my basement was, um, not full of crap for instance, I’d love to have a small beer cellar for aging choice brews.

Then again, I’d also simply like to have my basement not filled with crap.

It was £7 for a bottle here, which I think was quite reasonable. Almost all big UK stouts are limited editions so they tend to run a similar price. Shit, Brewdog (the biggest ‘craft’ brewer in this country) knock theirs out at £10 a pop! We only see Speedway in bombers so that’s always £15+ a go. Do they make it in smaller bottles?

Would love a CBS.

Last night some cool things happened. We tried a new game where we got to yell out things like “All Stop!” and “Sonar Active!” We had some awesome Korean pizza thanks to @fire. And we had a Qt3 friend in town from back East who brought some really good ice cream and a couple of really good beers to our house. These:

@mono brought us these beers because @Chappers recommended them. Thanks again to Alexander.

And thank you so much for bringing the great beers, mono!

-xtien

Alesmith’s Speedway Stout comes in 16oz cans, but the price is like eight bucks, and the 22oz bottle is about fourteen dollars.

And that’s what drinking beer is all about, sharing! Cheers to you all, it sounds like that was a great time.

@mono @ChristienMurawski glad you both enjoyed the beers. I’ll have to get over to the West Coast one day and have a few beers with you guys.

Been meaning to try Good Humans for a while and finally got around to it.

New photo by Skip Franklin

Besides the awesome label art, it’s a pretty good brown ale. The good ones (in my opinion) are smooth without that bitter, almost sour taste you get with IPAs. But beware if you’re used to lighter fare - 9.5% ABV.

A sad week for craft beer this week. NC local Wicked Weed just sold out to A.B. Inbev, and Lagunitas just sold the rest of their stake to Heineken. Other rumors note that Stone is now controlled by a food and beverage conglomerate.

A part of me is sad for the little guys who are going to get trampled the more big beer gobbles up their competition. And another part of me just wants to drink good beer and feel good about where it came from, good people just wanting to make great beer, or shareholders and corporate jerks hell bent on killing all the competition.

I think I need a beer to contemplate all this.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

gasp

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just announced too. And I’m a little sumpin’ sumpin’ kinda sad about it.

I guess a ton of “microbrew” labels now are owned by huge conglomerates. :/

Here’s a thing:

Honestly, I probably don’t know as much as you guys. But for someone who doesn’t know, it’s informative.