We have never talked about Beer

I present you the Omnipollo soft serve:

Profoundly silly but oh boy I’d give this a go.

I would be all over that.

Please don’t show these to @tomchick to stop him drooling on his keyboard.

So the ale festival was amazing, as expected, but… I still haven’t had any Milk Stout Nitro. Sad face. The continental bar was rotating kegs throughout the festival but unfortunately I wasn’t around for when the Nitro hit the taps. I kept walking over but, alas, it wasn’t to be.

That said, the Bloody 'Ell was delicious @Ginger_Yellow, so much so I double dipped, despite the price being higher than most drinks there.

A couple of other highlights were Ashover’s Thor Cake (‘rich brown ale brewed with oats, black treacle, orange peel, ginger and coriander seeds’) and Totally Brewed’s Grand Papa Jangles Voodoo Stout (‘a dark, rich stout with notes of coffee and raisin’).

Oh, sweet. Beer52 is focusing on Mikkelker this month. I really like the beers of theirs I’ve had.

I don’t normally drink beer, but today I had a Munich dunkel. I really liked it.

That’s all.

had this sheep dung smoked impy stout on me hols in Iceland, have to say it was quite delicious.

I just had a couple of limited release beers that kind of fucked with my brain at The Morrison in LA.

One was called Buffalo Theory, listed as an oatmeal stout aged in a Buffalo Trace barrel. Which is a style I keep trying despite being too sweet for me most of the time. This however had the visual and mouthfeel of an oatmeal stout while tasting like a sour cherry lambic. The waiter actually apologized for the bad description, because no mention of a sour was made. Despite the initial shock, it was actually really good.

The second was by Noble Ale Works, called Naughty Sauce. This was a golden ale that tasted like a coffee milk stout. It was an even bigger mind fuck because my brain could not reconcile the golden, clear color with the dark coffee milk stout taste. Great beer though.

This sounds like something I’d enjoy very much.

I too would have loved those, Gendal.

So, I made a faux pas over the weekend and stirred up some shit. I’m on a few local facebook groups of, admittedly, sometimes elitist craft beer nerds. A lot of the posts on those groups are for trades, shares of upcoming beer releases, pictures of good brews, and, “cheers,” posts so people can talk about what they are currently drinking. Sometimes there are also advice posts on brews and breweries in the area.

So my girlfriend and I are at a local brewery on Saturday and having not been there, we split a sampler of 4 of the beers they had on tap. She started tasting before me while I went to the restroom. When I got back, she said the beers tasted funny. Sure enough, 3 out of the 4 had an off taste. I would describe it as slightly medicinal and sour, not in a good way. These were all non-sour beers, and all were hoppy. So, I reached out to one of the facebook groups and mentioned the off tastes, asking if it was just me or if there was a problem with the beers from that brewery.

Well, it angered some people and also brought out some folks who have experienced the same. But the icing was when, unbeknownst to me, one of the reps of that actual brewery piped up and asked essentially, what was my expertise to publicly trash their brand. Eeps. I tried to ease the conversation back somewhat, but it the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth for that brewery and it’s reps, pun firmly intended.

How is simply asking a question on taste trashing their reputation? Maybe they are aware of a problem and a bit touchy about it.

I’m pretty sure that is the case based on the responses. I think the rep basically went from zero to full blown brand protection in a single response. She toned down a bit afterward when there was some backlash to her post.

I mean, if I were a brewer/brewery, I would want to know that information. It would help me evaluate customer perception and maybe let me know of the issue if there was a problem I hadn’t seen yet.

Philadelphia kicks off Beer Week in style.

I thought about you milk stout guys the other night while at The Melting Pot. This was left over after adding part of the beer to a cheddar cheese fondue for some beer cheese action.

±+
Welcome to 2017, where every aspect of your life is part of a virtual Truman Show, and every comment is world-shattering. My advice is don’t worry about it. It’s not your problem, it’s the brewery’s problem. And if your acquaintances can’t live with that, find new ones. Seriously.

Of course, this is from a guy with shall we say a rather circumscribed social circle, as you might expect… :)

It didn’t bother me that much. I was just surprised at the negative reaction to me just asking a question. It’s akin to the political climate as well, if you even mention something about something another person may like/enjoy, you are immediately an enemy and should face social wrath.

I miss when people didn’t have some much time on their hands with social media as their only outlet.

Heh, I always chuckle when I look at the reminders Twitter sends exhorting me to tweet more Something like “Let people know what you are doing!” or whatever. Um, no; I was brought up to keep my own business to myself, thank you.

If you aren’t taking pictures of your food and tweeting about it, you just have no life.

like +1 share retweet

Not that Pliny the Elder or Two-Hearted have changed any in the last year. I guess this poll just had a few fewer voters willing to vote for a beer they’ve never been anywhere near.

The real story is that a low-readership magazine for homebrewers gets so much press for this every year. But I had one of the Bell’s in the fridge anyway, so I’m checking their result just to be safe.

For the QT3 crowd: