We have never talked about Beer

This time of year you’ll find large bottles (22oz) of Stone “Enjoy By” IPA. Those are done with a limited sale date from Stone, so if it’s enjoy by xx/xx/xx, that’s their recommended cut off date. I’m not sure if they make 4 or 6 packs of it, but if you spot a bomber of it, grab it. Super fresh, super hoppy, amazing smooth as a 9% beer.

Flying Dog makes a Citra Single Hop IPA that’s quite good, it’s an offshoot of their great double IPA series. They are within the state.

Mikkeller might be distributed there, if so they have a fantastic canned IPA, Freddie Murkury.

Union Craft makes some great IPA’s and they are within the state.

Foothills goes up into Virginia but you might see some in Maryland, too. If so, Jade IPA is excellent.

The hard part here is knowing what’s distributed in Maryland, and they haven’t been favorable to a lot of breweries. When in doubt, I shop around at any big beer store and wait until I spot someone getting an IPA and ask what’s good, or at the checkout, if I think they might know.

Citra Ass Down is a good IPA from Against the Grain, if it is available there. Otherwise you could try some New England IPAs.

If you’re looking for local stuff I can’t help. But if good, hoppy stuff that is more regional is OK:

Dogfish Head - I like the 90-minute IPA a lot
Founders - both of the seasonals that you can probably get are very hoppy. Mosaic Promise and Azzaca

If you can find them, and you might be able to, Deschutes Pinedrops and Fresh Squeezed IPA’s are hoppy and tasty beers.

I saw a Enjoy by “12/25/17” Stone IPA on Tuesday.

Two really different styles and both great beers.

I had one on Saturday, excellent beer. I have no clue how they can make a hoppy beer that tasty and smooth at 9% alcohol. I would be hard placed to know just how strong it was while drinking it, that is no small feat.

I am not a huge IPA person (I will drink them but prefer lagers, ales, stouts) but I had one of these recently from a pretty wonderful advent calendar and I thought it was fantastic.

Thanks for all the help guys! I wound up going with the Stone “Enjoy by 12/25/17” IPA since they had it packaged in a nice holiday six pack. Don’t think he had one that night, but we’ll see if sends word once he gives them a try.

Excellent hoppy choice! Check in on him later, those things will sit you down after a couple. :)

So I noticed Saturday at the grocery store that you can now buy Drake’s Denogginizzer in a 16oz 6 pack. Damn.

bloody love Christmas, get to crack out all the loopy stuff I’ve been hoarding over the year and drink it over a couple of days.

Standouts:

Thornbridge - the Heart Desires. Thornbridge are one of the better UK cask breweries, they did as much to inspire breweries over here to use new world hops as anyone else, they brew in volume and they brew consistently, if sometimes a little unadventurously. Yet they have now brewed 3 absolutely world class barrel aged sours. Quite astonishing.

De Struise - Aardnon / Earthnun Cask Strength (2009) - I somehow managed to catch my fiance in the act of eating broccoli really weirdly in that pic. Anyway, this is a massively bonkers oud bruin. A big ole in your face mad beer but with the smoothness of the most glorious impy stout. De Struise are absolute wizards.

De Dolle - Oerbier Special Reserva (2015) - this year I discovered I liked those fucking mad Belgian beers that taste like balsamic vinegar (Rodenbach etc). This is just that style amped up. It tastes nothing like regular Oerbier, I am not even sure what they did to it. Guessing they stuck it in some wild barrels and let that get to work. Anyway, all I know is that it is massively glorious and you should try it.

Northern Monk - The Trilogy MMXVII - HOPS - a bit of hop juice thrown in for good measure. 2017 was the year that Northern Monk established themselves as one of the best breweries in the UK. They can do it all. Hazy New England style IPAs are all over the place in this country but quality is so inconsistent. Never the case with NM, everything they do is banging.

Say whaaaat? Now I have to go find these. That sounds awesome.

So it begins! I have popped the top on my first beer from @ddtibbs from Secret Santa 2017. Is there a better time than New Year’s Eve? It will likely be well into 2018 before I get through them all!

New photo by Skip Franklin

That is Combustion Brewery’s Naughty American Strong Ale, 7.5%!

Damn, this is some strong stuff! Of course, the fact that I drank the entire quart probably had something to do with it. :)

A little bitter for my taste, but I recommend grilled ham and cheese to pair with it. Also I had a some mint chocolate that happened to be lying around (assist props to my girlfriend Sarah) and that mellowed it right out.

Looking forward to trying the other 11 beers that @ddtibbs gifted to me!

That sounds quite tasty! Pre-warning on bitter beers, they grow on you. Then the bitterness separates into tasting the actual bittering or finishing hops, then the real journey begins. It’s not that you become a super-taster, it’s something akin to your palate adjusting over time. Because of that, circle back to those later on, youmight be very surprised.

And cheers to you and ddtibbs as well!

I haven’t had, nor bought, any beer in a while. However neighbors are having a little get together this evening for folks on the block, and I discovered the in-town shop now carries Nitro Milk Stout.

I picked up a 6-pack, and noticed another stout, Dragon’s Milk.

I picked up a 4-pack of that as well, and decided to try one before the party. Pretty good. I think I prefer Nitro Milk Stout, but not a bad replacement in a pinch.

But whoa… I’m a lightweight. Half a bottle and I am totally buzzed. I googled and it has 11% alcohol compared to 6% in Nitro Milk Stout. I’m either going to be the life of the party, or asleep by 9PM EST.

I can only drink one dragon’s milk, they are too strong. I tried the Left hand wake up dead nitro, not my favorite either. I find most imperial stouts too strong to drink casually.

Today was another brew day, our second batch and first batch using all grain rather than malt extract. On the docket today is a nice simple IPA, something to cut our teeth on before we try any fancier all-grain recipes.

We got our kettle up to 163F with 6.25 gallons of water. We can’t actually do full volume mashes for five-gallon batches in our eight-gallon kettle, so we planned on a squeeze/sparge step in the 7.5-gallon kettle which came with our propane burner.

Speaking of, we were planning on an outside brew day, but concerns about temperature loss during the mash (it was well below freezing today) made us wave off, so we took over my friend’s kitchen again, to some grumbling from the wives.

Here’s a spoonful of grain. Mostly ye olde American 2-row malt from the local homebrew store, along with a pound of Munich malt, a pound of Crystal 40, and one ounce of Black Patent for color.

We put the lid on, but still lost temperature pretty quickly. We ended up firing the burners three times during the mash, keeping the temperature between 151F and 160F. Stirring while the burners were on ensured we didn’t do anything stupid like melt the bag to the bottom of the kettle.

Stirring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7iqNuqXL_s

After an hour of mashing, we pulled the kettle off of the stove and lifted the bag out. It made a bit of a mess until we worked out that we had to let it drain by increments, and after that it was fine. After a few minutes of draining into the main kettle, we held the bag up over the kettle to the right and poured about three quarts of water at 160F over the grain cake inside. After it drained, we pressed out whatever else we could get with the lid of a pan. (I’ve heard lots of people say squeezing the bag is bad, but everyone I’ve read who’s actually experimented with it says they can’t tell the difference.)

According to Brewtarget, we ended up with about 80% efficiency, which is much better than I’d expected. We elected to roll with it rather than water down the wort, and ended up with a starting gravity of 1.060. (On that note, we got a refractometer to aid in sample-taking, and after calibrating it against our hydrometer, found it was an excellent tool for the job.)

Not much to say during the boil. We did three hop additions: an ounce of Columbus for bittering, then half an ounce of Willamette at 30 minutes and half an ounce of Willamette at flame out.

Cooling presented a problem; we bought a wort chiller, but it had hose fittings and we were notably not anywhere near a hose.

We ended up hooking our auto-siphon/pump up to the outlet line and running ice water from one sink basin backwards through the chiller to the other. It didn’t slow things down significantly; we were still chilled in about half an hour. Note steam coming from the output.

It was a nice honey yellow flowing through the siphon, and it’s now a dark brown in the fermenter. We plan to let it sit for two and a half weeks or so, with no dry hopping or anything. I stayed for an hour or so after we pitched the yeast (two packages of White Labs California Ale, since we didn’t have time for a starter), and we were already seeing signs of fermentation when I headed out. Hopefully another success!

Dragon’s Milk is great! I tried it for the first time in November. A little pricey here, and very strong. But I do love strong beers, and it’s super tasty.

Hey, I love the setup. I wish I had tried BIAB, I skipped to the cooler for mashing, which helps a ton with holding temps, but then you run into a separate container, draining, sometimes getting stuck sparge, etc. Plus, the bag method looks SO much easier to clean. Dump, spray, done.

I’ve never used Willamette for aroma or dry hop, I’m interested to hear how it tastes on tasting day.

Do the wives like or complain about the smell? I love it, it makes me think of oatmeal and bread making. But I have a brew buddy who’s SO HATES the smell of boiling wort. To be fair, I think she just hates the fact he homebrews, so perhaps she projects that to the smell of it.

And as cold as it is all over the place today, you needed a hot toddy. A little bit if the hot wort in a mug, and a shot of scotch or bourbon. It makes those cold brew days so much better.