We have never talked about Beer

I mean, that’s a lofty goal. But only beer? That would actually be tough.

I’m going to be in Central Wisconsin this weekend, does anyone have any good beers or breweries I should be looking out for?

New Glarus. Their Spotted Cow is their headline beer.

Central Waters and O’so should be pretty easily available. Kind of depends what you want as there’s a pretty wide spectrum available between the two and New Glarus.

Invited to a friend’s cookout yesterday, found he had this DIY keg tap in his basement:

He said the upside is he always has beer on tap. The downside is he drinks more than he might otherwise.

I have a tiny half height kegerator, that thing your friend has looks pretty fab. Plenty of room. If I do another project though it’ll be a decent sized keezer. I should have just bought my buddies when he sold it. :(

This happened today:

Got a knock at my door. Honey dog wagging her tail like crazy at the door, so it’s either a friend or a criminal. She only growls at FedEx deliveries and people walking by on the sidewalk.

It’s my neighbor Jerry. With this box.

“Hey, we went to San Diego for the day. Saw the Safari Park. Decided to stay. Went to Stone. I saw this and said, ‘I think Christien needs this.’”

So they got it for me. Just out of freaking nowhere!

Oh man. It is so good. Dark and coffee-like. Smooth like the Nitro. I shared this with @Chappers already, since he knows. But man, I had just had a conversation, within minutes, about how there was no beer in the house. Now there is!

I have the best neighbors ever.

-xtien

Yes. Yes, you do.

Stone Brewery is kinda hard to find in SD, even with the signage and the large building staring you in the face. Amazing venue though, walking in and looking around and you are just kind of amazed they have all that hiding in plain sight.

I’ve actually never been there. I went to a beer festival of theirs at a local college for their 14th Anniversary Tasting more than ten years ago, but never got to their place in Escondido. The tasting was amazing and I still have the Rare Beer Section brochure thingy they handed out. I posted about it in this thread before so I won’t bore with a repeat.

But I’ve heard the restaurant there is amazing.

-xtien

Tried a couple new ones this weekend.

I enjoy them both. I’d probably put the Celebrator up in my top 3 alongside the M-43 N.E. IPA, and Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. The store I purchased these from had just a massive selection of craft beers so I look forward to heading back and trying more.

That Dragon’s Milk logo seriously reminds me of some of the ridiculous game pieces in a recent game we’ve played called Glorantha.

Here’s a photo of our first game:

There is one piece on this board that doesn’t belong. But we couldn’t find the marker so I went and grabbed it and used it instead.

-xtien

Took me a minute to spot it!

Looks like that piece makes an appearance in other Glorantha media.

Celebrator was one of my go-to beers in college in the 70s, when it was imports or nothing. I’m impressed they still put the little plastic goats on the bottles. I should pick some up for nostalgia’s sake.

Did grab a Celebrator this afternoon, but a Deschutes Red Chair seemed a better match for tonight’s brats.
Wife: “There’s a plastic goat in our fridge”

Lol. I haven’t had a Red Chair, but I’ve had their Black Butte Porter and I really enjoyed it.

I pick up Celebrator everytime I see it. I generally find the German beers boring, but I could drink that Doppelbock everyday.

Someday I should see how many of those import beers we used to drink in college are available around here. Some are always there, like Celebrator, Spaten Optimator, several of the British and Australian stouts.

I have tried, without luck, to find Theakston’s Old Peculier locally.

It is indeed. Good food and a good experience for the night. They have plenty of taps with markings you can’t see. The point is to draw you to the beer book which has an amazing bottle list along with all the draft beers too. The food is good, the outside beer garden is quite cool too. There is something about going there that just makes you appreciate Stone even more.

My problem is I’ve been there three times when visiting San Diego and it’s a haul to get to. AND you want to drink there so it’s a costly Uber/Lyft/cab or finding a driver who doesn’t get to have any fun

Also, that’s a hell of a neighbor, man. Reciprocate in kind.

You guys are all drinking great stuff. Celebrator is fantastic. In fact it is so much so its THE standard written in beer style guides for dopplebcks.

I had some great stuff in San Diego on my short trip for a conference. I really wish I could have stayed longer.

Most of the breweries have really good food. Ballast Point in Temecula had the single best ahi tuna sandwich I have ever had. I have been trying to figure out if that’s because they try really hard to attract good chefs or the good chefs just prefer to work at a location with easy access to good alcohol.

Anyways, my wife went from ‘I don’t want to go to a brewery’ to ‘Lets go to a brewery’ after the third random brewery had awesome food.