We have never talked about Beer

The fact that you haven’t had a drink probably means you won’t be at risk for alcoholism, but do be careful. Shit sneaks up on you all subtle-like.

H

I drink because I am a good Presbyterian of Scotch-Irish, English and German descent. And because it tastes good. And because it goes well with the meal. Also, in moderation, it’s good for you.

For someone like you, I recommend starting with the good, expensive stuff, and never bothering with the cheap stuff.

By the way, 0racle, some of the responses above are giving you advice that is spectacularly and purposefully bad.

But I’m not going to spoil the fun by telling you which ones are bad advice. :)

Daddy drinks because I cry

For those in North Carolina and Tennessee, New Belgium has finally started distributing east of the Mississippi. You can currently only get Fat Tire, 1554, and Mothership Wit, and I’ve only seen them in 22oz bottle form, but they’re all fantastic beers.

Thank you so much! I was just about to go delving through the previous pages to dig this thread up, but, lo and behold, it’s back on top!

I’d love to see New Belgium available out this way. I’ll have to ask my shop of choice if their distributors can get it.

Anyway, I seem to recall some folks around here waxing rhapsodic about Old Rasputin. It’s finally back in stock at the ol’ bevvy, and they’re holding a four-pack for me. I hope it’s as good as its reputation.

1554 = Love.

Currently enjoying the Blue Moon Full Moon Winter Ale.

I am enjoying the living heck out of some Mississippi Mud Black & Tan.

That stuff was pretty tasty. I should get my hands on another 6-pack before its run is up.

Anybody else on Ratebeer? I’ve just recently started tracking what I’m drinking to try and develop my tastes and figure out what exactly I like.

http://www.ratebeer.com/View-User-85956.htm

I still have a really hard time describing what I’m tasting, and correlating what I’m tasting into what makes up the beer. I think I’m leaning though. I’ve been drinking a lot of porters lately and just redrank Founder’s Porter after having tried a few others, and I think I can recognize that the Founder’s is very heavily malty compared to some of the ones that I prefer. I think. Maybe what I’m calling ‘malty’ I’m actually misidentifying as some other taste element.

How the heck do you learn this stuff?

I don’t understand how they can justify charging $9 a six-pack for Blue Moon. It’s Coors!

Old Rasputin was worth the $8 (four-pack), though. Nice, strong, roasty stuff just made for sipping. And it doesn’t hit you over the head like some other Imperial Stouts.

I put it up against a bottle of Samuel Adams Imperial Stout, for comparison. Sam was a bit more quaffable – almost subdued – and had some major dried fruit characteristics, but it didn’t have the same creamy, smooth consistency.

Neither of them is likely to knock off my favorite, McNeill’s, but that hasn’t been available around here since Ray stopped self-distributing his stuff. If ever I’m in Brattleboro, I’ll have to stop by the brewery and see if I can get some there.

Dogfishhead 90 minute on draft.
My favorite beer ever.

Avery makes some yummy stuff as well.

That’s all I’m drinking now because I’m still losing weight.
Well, those and Manhattan’s.

Beer tastes like medicine. It’s bitter and leaves an awful feeling in my mouth.

I know that many people drink beer because “IT’S A MAN’S DRINK, HARRR!”. I don’t think I need beer to define my manlihood, which is certainly a behavior I’ve witnessed (or believe to have witnessed) many times.

I’m 31 and feel perfectly right drinking Coke or Nestea when I eat at a restaurant. I’m also normally not someone who enjoys hanging out in bars, be it alone or with friends. I got past that stage when I was 25-ish. Lever looked back (even then, I only ordered beer because it felt a bit odd when ten people order beer and you order a Coke, and not because I liked it). What I do enjoy is going to a dimly lit latin bar and drinking a caipirinha or four, or going to a place with a good live band, and there I’ll probably have a Voda-Red Bull or a White Russian.

But beer? No thanks.

Just curious. Why are you posting in this thread? There are lots of threads on this forum that I am not interested in, yet I don’t feel the need to write condescending posts explaining that I’m not interested in them. It’s kind of a dick move.

Nestea is fucking terrible.

Maybe you just haven’t tried the right beer yet.

Spoken like someone who hasn’t tried much beer.

I pretty much drank nothing but rum and vodka drinks through most of his 20’s. It was either Cap’n’n’coke or Grey Goose on the rocks, dirty. Beer just wasn’t my thing, although I did learn by the time I was 21 that Guinnness was delicious. Now I’m getting into all sorts of beers, and really appreciating how amazingly different the varieties are and how many permutations of flavor they can get with what boils down to 4 core ingredients.

I don’t think anyone in this thread drinks it because it’s “manly,” or because society dictates they should. Otherwise we’d all be patting ourselves on the back about how goddamn DRINKABLE Budweiser is.

You don’t like beer. Fine. Start the white russian fanboy thread.

Ok, in the next thread about TV-shows; please only post if you love the show. In the next thread about a game, only post if you are a fanboy.

It’s a discussion thread, right? I have an opinion, I post. Where’s the problem? I only brought up the “manliness” thing because I know (knew) people like that. I’m not saying that everybody who drinks beer has some kind of a complex.

In my days of going out every night, I drank beer. But as I said, I didn’t drink it because I loved it, but just because I didn’t want to be singled out. Pretty foolish, maybe, but I’m sure I wasn’t the only one to do that. It’s the same with smoking in other people, maybe.

I’m not going to try and name the brands I have tried, but suffice to say it where a few.

No one says you have to like beer. I think your post highlights one reason you probably didn’t enjoy beer; it was an obligation, not something you earnestly wanted to do.

But don’t write off beer because you weren’t in the state of mind to enjoy it. You might have had a lot of crappy beer, it’s hard to say without knowing what you drank. But regardless of the quality of the beer, because you weren’t into it, you weren’t going to enjoy it, period.

So if you never want to drink beer, that’s fine man. Have fun with that. If you are curious what you’re missing, and want to give it a shot, then more power to you.

But you went beyond saying “I don’t like beer.” You called into question the motives of everyone in this thread and had a holier-than-thou attitude, and that’s what I take issue with.

I love the taste of various beers (as I do with any fine food) and I like feeling drunk; it can be relaxing and it can be uplifting. With liquour, I also enjoy its warmth as it travels down my throat and into the rest of my body.

As for what beers to start with I would suggest not starting with crappy mega brews like Coors or Bud as someone suggested–you may get used to those but I don’t know that you would actually enjoy them. I would recommend wheat or white beers, like Hoegaarden. Many of my friends who don’t generally like beer enjoy those, and sometimes it acts as a gateway to other beer types.

Is that self-righteousness working for you? If so then carry on.

Also, what food goes well with Coke or Nestea?