We have never talked about Beer

Ok, at the risk of just about everyone in this thread laughing at me… I had a spectacular failure over the weekend.

I purchased some of the above referenced Milk Stout (the Nitro is still out of stock, sadly). I saw on Left Hand’s website a video showing how to pour the beer. I thought “that looks cool… it’s not that hard… I’ma gonna try that.”

So I got a beer out of the fridge. And I just so happened to have a pint sized glass in the freezer, chillin’ out. Got the glass out. Put the glass in the sink. Opened the beer and rotated it 180° over the glass… and it was like an explosion of foam occurred. The beer hit the bottom of the glass and produced about 10 times as much foam as I expected… foam was everywhere - completely engulfing the glass, all over the sink… 90% of the glass was foam. There was crystallized beer foam all over the outside of the glass… and a teeny little puddle of beer in the bottom of the glass. It was ugly. By the time the foam settled down, I only got to drink about 20% of the beer - the rest had all foamed down the drain I guess. I’m sorry there were no pics but it was really a disaster, requiring two people and a butt-load of paper towels to clean up.

So my stupid question is this: how do you do the “upend the bottle over a glass” pour? Should the glass be room-temperature? Should be beer be room-temperature? Someone who’s accomplished this please explain this process.

FWIW, I checked out the Utobeer shop today. Couldn’t see any Left Hand at all.

You’d only pour a Nitro beer that way due to the differences in carbonation vs nitrogenation.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/101/pour/

Pretty sure that only applies to the nitro version. The bubbles in nitro beers are less prone to overflow but the agitation while pouring harder creates more of them for the big silky head.

You can pick up the non nitro from beerhawk though looks like they only have 1 left :)

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/lefthand-milk-stout

At last the long national nightmare has ended.

I wish I could find somewhere in Montreal that sells it. It’d be a great accompaniment to tonight’s debate.

Not for me. :P

You live in places with culture and nice weather. I live in Ohio. We have beer.

Hey, I live in Florida, we need beer.

Florida:
Beer, the solution to dealing with the problems that other people with beer create

My first choice store had multiple packs this evening when I stopped by, so hooray for Minnesota.

So we have a few crazy beer bars around here that do Randalls on a semi-frequent basis, running a beer on tap through something in the Randall. One of my absolute favorites was Left Hand Milk Stout run through … cookies. I swear to god it tasted like beer dessert. It was wonderful.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

Omg the Leesburg store claims to have it in stock… I better get an emergency supply so I have it on hand when I play Civ VI tomorrow!

I need to get some of that in now, it’s been a long week, the missus has been away and I have been looking after the four kids and the dog (who vomited everywhere and rolled in fertilizer twice).

Alex

Paradroid avatar! Nice!

https://www.france44.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/r/breckenridge-nvp-4cans.gif

When I can’t find the left hand versions, this is always at my local grocery store. It is a little lighter but another good option.

Thanks, I did talk about it with Tom after all on the podcast.

Faithful companion indeed.

I was in the local international food/beer/kitsch megastore this afternoon. They had Left Hand Nitro Milk as singles, so I wanted to see if all the recent fawning is justified.

Its, uh, OK. Not actually very ‘stouty’ - in the sense of the typical bottled offerings. Not that ‘stouty’ is a major selling point for me in beer these days (I went through a major stout phase way back in college, but the choices were only bottled Guinness, Mackeson’s and Tooth Sheaf)