We have never talked about Beer

A stout goes well in a chili. But to pair, think of how much flavor is in chili. You’d want a beer that cuts through that somewhat, which might be what you wouldn’t like, yet. Go with what you know, perhaps an Amber Ale.

More info if you ever need it.

I’m telling you, look up Arcadia Ales Nut Brown Ale. It is in my top 5.

I have a soft spot for brown ales, I’ll try to find it. I’m not sure I’ve seen Arcadia down here?

Yeah, I can only help so much ;)

It is a Michigan brewery, so somewhat local to me. However I’ve had a decent range of their stuff, and always come away pleased. Otherwise a somewhat similar beer I like nearly as much is Lagunita’s Brown Shugga.

Can I just hire you all to come to my local Total Wine and fill my shopping cart for me?

And also to come back home and convince my girlfriend I haven’t become an alcoholic.

I’ll bring the booze, you bring that indian food you cook ;)

Who’s bringing the Pepto?

I dunno, but if I ever actually in NC, that will be a real offer!

Funny story. So my coworker/beer buddy live near each other and both go to the same Total Wine to occasionally splurge on a, “home beer restocking event.” You have to understand, my buddy has a fucking room of his house devoted to a beer cellar. I’m not joking. He must have enough to last several people a year or more of pretty heavy drinking. He’s always trading and whatnot to get even MORE beer, while I struggle to keep 10 beers or so at the house between my girlfriend and I at any given time.

So one day I went a little overboard at Total Wine and actually filled 3/4 of a cart with various beers. Things to store for later (stouts) and things to drink during the summer heat. I was quite proud of it. At any rate, I head towards the parking lot and as I’m wheeling outside I see what appears to be my buddies car pull up and park in front of me. So I act the fool and point at the cart, then at me and start making, 'WHOOP WHOOP," noises like a gigantic imbecile. Then I start yelling, “hahaha, I’ve got you BEAT motherfucker!” I followed that with more jumping, pointing and whoop whoops.

Then the car door opens and … it’s not my buddy. Said guy gets out and proceeds to give me the, “what the fuck is wrong with you look.” We have a very short stare down, me with my jaw hanging, and him wondering if I was schizo. He then walks quickly away from me, all the way around his car and nearly goes to the other side of the parking lot to avoid me before then going into Total Wine himself.

So apparently, I’ve got the Total Wine shopping thing down. Just don’t ask me to make any friends while I’m there.

@ArmandoPenblade, watch out for these. American Amber Ales are basically IPA’s little brother. An IPA-freak hop-head won’t think of them as bitter, but they’ll send your poor palate right through the roof.

You guys know what’s got a nice, smooth flavor?

The crisp, refreshing taste of Diet Coke, that’s what.

(Also, @Skipper, that story is awesome, and sounds EXACTLY like something I’d do, except for the buying a cartful of beer part)

While that can be true, for all but one on the list it should not be. And that brings up a very important thing to note. IBU (International Bitternes Units.) The higher the number the more bitter the brew.

Bell’s Amber Ale - Approx 25-30 IBU
Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale - 16 IBU
New Belgium Fat Tire - 22 IBU
Troegs Nugget Nectar - 90 IBU
Highland Gaelic Ale - 30 IBU

For comparison, a typical American IPA:
40-70 IBU

And a typical double IPA:
60-120 IBU

EDIT: And also note the sweeter the beer, the more bitterness is require to, “balance,” it. Overly sweet beers aren’t desirable for most beer people. You give them to your girlfriend to elevate her mood a little. Did I just say that out loud?

My gf more or less exclusively drinks Sweet Josie Brown. I have no idea how it compares, but I’ll take it at name value and assume you’re entirely correct.

It’s starting early today, boys. Cheers to you all.

r

That looks good! My wife likes it bitter, so I’ve got a 6 pack of this as I start getting ready for the deluge of thanksgiving cooking. I’ve also got a single pumpkin beer, because southern tier’s holds a special place in my heart.

Just went beer shopping for the holidays. Bought 2 assorted packs and 2 sixpacks:

Sixes were the Anderson Valley Seasonal Ale and the Ballast Point Commodore. Others were all one-offs that had been recommended here or that looked interesting. Now I gotta get down to business!

I see you took two of my recommendations @Charlatan! I hope you like them as much as me :)

We brewed a white IPA based on White Noise from Brewdog’s DIY recipe book. While our malt and hops supplier had labeled it “White Nose” we use Star Wars for our IPA branding so this is called Snowtrooper.

Bottling soon, hopefully it will be ready for the holidays.

Left Hand’s Fade to Black is one of my favorite beers of all time.
Troegenator is pretty good, too. I went to a party at a software design studio that had it on tap in the office kitchen. Such a nice perk.

What with winter weather arriving, it was time to break out the barleywine. And what should happen at the ol’ beer aisle? Great Divide Old Ruffian appearing not just in a regular 12 oz bottle (they previously only stocked bombers) but also in the singles wall. I’ve been wanting to try this beer for a long time, so the cellared Bigfoot and Third Coast Old Ale will have to stay in the basement.

My goodness, this is a really, really tasty beer. Big malt sweetness followed by big hop bitterness. Not IPA level, of course, but it is the parade of flavors that makes this style so special. 10% alcohol, so quite worthy of buying a 6-pack and stashing it in the basement. (the relevance of the 10% is that high abv beer mellows with age, as opposed to going just plain bad - don’t try to cellar an IPA)