We have never talked about Beer

I might have to go pick up some Yeti on the way home for my NYE party! I’m probably the only beer drinker there but nevertheless…

I think the real appeal of the Nitro version, to him, is that the carbonation is greatly subdued, making the beer super smooth. When we first tried it, both him and @fire made note of this as a huge selling point.

-xtien

Wouldn’t that be true of many of the “heavier” stouts though, especially oatmeal stouts.

I think so, Scuzz. I got him a couple of beers for the online game streaming event that inspired @Chappers to recommend the beer in the first place. Tom was solidly into the Milk Nitro Stout.

He might just be a one-beer dude.

-xtien

Tom, you should be able to find Belching Beaver unless they cut off distribution in Long Beach, try their Milk Stout & Peanut Butter Milk Stout. I hate Peanut Butter flavored anything except, apparently, their Milk Stout.

It’s not nitro injected but otherwise is just as easy to drink as Left Hand, if not more so.

@tomchick I have mentioned this above, it is another nitro that I like which is (at least around me) way easier to find and actually has a lower IBU of 16 to the Left Hand Nitro Stout’s 25 (International Bittering Units)

It’s a porter instead of a stout, but the vanilla and nitro in it definitely puts it into the same kind of category of . I’d suggest giving it a try.

If true, you sure won’t want to trust them to have any beer you want to drink. Definitely best to bring your own.

Whadda ya mean? We have a great selection. We got, Bud Lite, Coors Lite, Miller Lite…

I heartily endorse this beer as well. That’s Breckenridge Brewery btw.

So, upon hitting Level 20 in Diablo III, on the PS4–we killed Filthpit the Aghast, or something to get to Level 20…Tom did the killing, along with my zombie dogs, who never get enough credit–we decided to go ahead and celebrate by trying the cocktail @Chappers sent to us. Well, he sent the components, so we were able to craft it.

The cocktail: Dark and Stormy. It consists of ice. Lime. Ginger beer. And Goslings Bermuda Black Rum.

Happy New Year all! And thank you again to @Chappers!

-xtien

P.S. Tom says to say that we’re playing on hardcore.

get that filth out of the beer thread ;-)

OOh, we discovered dark & stormies when we went to Bermuda. My wife loves them, and I think they’re pretty good too.

Having only 2 ingredients, the ginger beer you use for Dark and Stormy’s makes a big difference. You want something ginger-y, but not so much so that it overpowers the sweetness, and something with enough carbonation to survive being poured into a glass for a bit (a problem with some of the fancier craft sodas).

I think Regatta was my favorite the last time I was experimenting.

I had this the other day, I might even go as far to say it’s my new favorite, even more than the left hand milk Stout:

@ChristienMurawski you should see if they have some locally

Wow, they’re in Alexandria, VA. Near enough for field trip!

You all talked about the Nitro Milk Stout so much, I decided to try it despite not really being into stouts.

I found something called a milk stout in cans…But it didn’t seem to say “nitro” anywhere, so I didn’t know if it was the same thing. In bottles, they only had the Bittersweet Nitro Milk Stout, which apparently has more coffee notes than chocolate ones?

So I tried a bottle of that, and it was interesting. I liked the smell and taste of it, and drank about half of it, but I couldn’t really muster the effort to finish it, it was too filling, I guess? I don’t really know when I’d feel like drinking one, I generally drink with food, but that seems like a bit much. And then I’m not sure if I should try the non-bittersweet one.

One thing that I am sure is well known to the beer experts but which I only recently came to appreciate is the value of local brews. They travel less distance, and you generally get to drink them much closer to the time they are made, and it does make a difference. I’ve found that nearly anything from one of the (quality) local breweries is very good if only because it’s super fresh.

Not always 100% true, of course, and there are many, many fabulous beers that make the cross-country journey in fine shape. Certainly better than in the 70s, when “skunked” beer from overseas was not uncommon.

I need to stop buying barrel aged stouts & porters. Sherry, bourbon, wine, etc - it’s all disgusting.

It sounds awesome, but it’s all the bad kind of cloying sweet. Are any of these good?

I am like you in that they sound much better than they taste to me. I have had a few and just never really enjoyed them.

I personally like dark beers best, but find I am generally moderate on ones with heavy coffe undertones. Which, sadly, includes most stouts. Schwarzbiers are more my jam, and a good porter goes well. However I tend to more stick with Amber Ales, as those tend to be my favorites. Red ales are close behind.

Really light beers, such as pils, kolsch, and lagers are not typically my jam. Though a good wheat or oatmeal stout can hit the right mood. I’ll drink them, mind, but they won’t ever be my first choice.