We need a pocket knives thread

Is your tweezers the same as mine? :) The only time that I found them useful was when I pretty much held them right at the end, for the pressure. Otherwise I find them useless. The toothpick, OTOH is a godsend.

As well my knife has a small pressurized pen. It is also very useful. And you can order the pen, toothpick and tweezers, and other things, as replacements from their website. I purely love my Cybertool. It has Torx drivers! But not Torx drivers for tamper proof screws. I have other ones for that. :)

Yup, that’s my everyday carry, attached to my keychain. It’s great.

I never thought to carry a pocket knife, but I bought one went I took my 5yo camping for thew first time a couple of years ago.

AUD $40 Schrade and it has been my EDC since. Cheap enough it doesn’t matter if it breaks or I lose it, functional, keeps a decent edge and sharpens easily with a tickle from a diamond sharpening steel.

I have been pretty impressed with it and use it all the time - box cutting, retail packaging, odd jobs around the house, levering/prying - you name it. And I work in an office!

I’d kind of like something with some slight multi-function capability, like screwdrivers, but I haven’t really dound anything I like that is compact enough. I though the Leatherman Free K2 would be the go, but it’s still a bit too big for my use case. Maybe the C33T though…

Knives are like watches to me. I feel naked without one but I don’t collect them generally or spend a lot of money on them. For years I carried a cheap Winchester

winchester knife

Recently I switched to an Opinel Number 6

opinel number six

Apples, boxes, plastic clamshell packaging and string all get cut on a regular basis. The Opinel has much more history behind it and is likely to be a better knife but I still sort of miss the Winchester because the flat shape fit my pocket better. The Opinel is light though.

Lost it years ago, couldn’t say, but the little tweezers had a great index, you could pluck hairs with it. Maybe I just got a good one.

I really liked carrying a utility knife like the small swiss ones several of you posted above. The problem is that it’s so small that I always forget it’s on the keychain and then those jerks at the airport always take them away from me.

My knife / multi-tool setup:
Leatherman Tread

The Tread is wonderful, functional men’s jewelry. It’s not the best for tool comfort, but it’s easy to carry. It does have a small reverse blade on it, but still gets through airport security.

Leatherman Piranha 2
https://www.leatherman.com/piranha-2-344.html
This has some fun tricks, and is easy to carry. Also airport safe.

Leatherman Skeletool KBX Knife
https://www.leatherman.com/skeletool-kbx-501.html
This is the actual blade. I started carrying this because I wanted a bigger knife, but something I could leave behind when I was flying all the time. Unfortunately it’s light and ceramic enough to forget. I got through airport security carrying it a few times!

Carried a leatherman daily for over 6 years then lost it and didn’t replace it. They are wonderful when you need them though. I like that Squirt someone put up above, thanks @Anklebiter . Also the tip on the Gerber STL, thanks for that @HideousRex. BTW, we need a boating thread, let me know.

@JeffL mentioned in other threads, I’m a sharpening nut. I have everything. I can tell you without a doubt, use the sharpening product(s) that appeal to YOU. If you dull your knife a lot, a combo diamond DMT, “stone” with Duo-Sharp works wonders and takes so, so little time. I have a set of stones I never use. I do use my DMT Duo-Sharp (course-fine) and I use my motorized belt Work Sharp (for bulk work.) The latter is overkill for a pocket knife. DMT also makes a portable which is nice if you want one to carry:

If you want smaller there are a few small diamond based pull-through sharpeners but I’ve never liked how they work for sharpening.

Thought I’d mention since I see a few serrated knives, this thing is wonderful for those. It’ll do for touch ups too if you nick a knife.

Thanks for the sharpening advice. I really love wood, so I really love my relatively inexpensive (compared to the hundreds real aficionados pay) A G Russel Cocobolo wood knife:

It’s the one on top. I actually use it every day, it seems: opening boxes, packages, cutting “stuff” with my knife instead of my teeth, etc. A $15 knife that I kept sharp could likely do the same thing, but I really like the look and feel of it.

This is my favorite pocket knife:
https://www.knifecenter.com/series/columbia-river-crkt/crkt-swindle#vidipop

It opens super smoothly, and feels great in your hand. The swindle’s design is very slick.

I also have to clipped to my backpack strap.

I also got a ka-bar USMC in my survival pack, but that’s not really a “pocket” knife.

Speaking of Ka-Bar. WTH?

KABAR jumped the shark in 2011 or previously with their Zombie Killer knife line.

They unironically used the term 'za. This is unforgivable.

OK, OK, KA-BAR made mistakes. But…

I want to destroy some ice cream!

Get the OXO scoop. $14.99 at Amazon. You’ll thank me.

In fairness to ka-bar, i own exactly one product from them, the aforementioned USMC knife.

And the thing will never need to be replaced. It will last longer than me.

I guess if your main product is a something that lasts forever and only costs $60, you probably need to expand into other garbage just to keep making money.

As for ice cream scoops, this is what you want:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002U34EW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_cu3BFb6Z3GE2F

I’ve used those before. The problem is that once the liquid in the handle gets cold, it stops working. When I worked at Farrell’s we used scoops like the OXO that were kept in a container of water.

But thinking further, you probably won’t scoop enough ice cream at home for the anti-freeze to get too cold.

Yeah, I’m not scooping like a hundred scoops at a time.

I challenge both your commitment to eating (and scooping) ice cream!