Web hosting recommendations

So if I wanted to just do a blog sort of thing and email, I can just register a domain and use Google Apps without a host?

Godaddy and most decent registrars will let you set the MX settings without having actual hosted email.

Arise from the dead!

I’m hoping folks will have recommendations for some truly idiot-level website hosting issues. Here’s my situation:

For almost 20 years, I’ve had an account with GoDaddy. They were cheap and easy when I signed up and set up the original website (done in Frontpage…). Over time, I added 3 additional domains to the account, which was great – each domain could host its own (very small) website, I set up some email forwarders, etc. The only thing that was at all complicated was the original website also hosted a Gallery install, which allowed us to set up monthly photo galleries back when we thought our kids might someday want to know what life was like back in the early 2000s. We stopped maintaining/updating the Gallery about 8 years ago, and none of the websites are currently active.

At this point, I don’t know that I need to keep the websites active (although it would be nice to be able to put up a page at some point if I change my mind). The main thing the domains do at this point is just forward email (I use them for various vendors – e.g. my accounts with vendors are registered at [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc.)

I could easily renew with GoDaddy – hell, I’ve been renewing with them for the last 6 or 7 years due to sheer inertia – but I’m wondering if anyone has recommendations for a low cost, easy to maintain host whose tools don’t suck like GoDaddy’s and whose corporate culture doesn’t suck like GoDaddy’s.

Thanks in advance!

Namecheap?

Migadu, Fastmail if you’re only doing email

Cloudflare will host your domain literally at cost and route email wherever you want. They support catch-all addresses too. I don’t use them myself, I use Google for the easy integration with GSuite, but they come widely recommended.