Webcam Microphone Too Loud

So I’m having an issue with my webcam mic being WAY too loud. The webcam is a Nanshiba and the mic is listed as a TS2 in my settings.

The basic problem is this: the video camera works great, but the microphone seems to be set to super loud even if I set the volume to low numbers or even all the way down to 0% in the settings. I have done the normal things of checking the sound settings, the device settings, the advanced device settings, as well as the individual app settings as well. I can lower the volume somewhat but it’s still overloaded. It’s almost as if there’s a massive “boost” setting somewhere set to MAX BOOST!!! that I cannot find or turn off. I don’t see any indication that there are any enhancements or boosts or etc. turned on. Whatever is happening is somewhere I cannot find it.

Is there a thread on this sort of thing already? If so, please lead me to it. Same for websites, articles whatever.

There’s got to be some kind of setting I’m missing - it’s like the mic is set to “11” even when the actual input volume is 0.

Any help appreciated.

So nobody has any ideas on this? Maybe I’m framing the problem incorrectly? Basically, I’ve tried the obvious ways to control volume on my webcam and its still too loud - it acts like it’s set to some sort of boost but I cannot find a way to turn it off.

So, two requests:

Anything you folks can think of specific to my problem?

Or, alternatively, a comprehensive step by step guide that will walk me through the sound/volume issue more generally. I’m not super technical but I can follow directions and read a guide. I have a fairly important Zoom call Friday morning and I’d like to get this resolved by then, or find a different form of voice chat.

you can remediate some of these types of problems (I have in this past for something similiar with the input sensitivity) using virtual audio cable from here:

https://vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

Well, the steps here would be exactly what I’d try doing (mic boost would’ve seemed the obvious culprit) but it sounds like you’ve done that already.

Have you used other apps (e.g. voice recorder) to establish whether the scope of the problem is limited to Zoom?

As a long shot you could unplug it (the webcam) then use USBDeview (the download link is near the bottom of the page, before the language table) to forcibly uninstall the usb drivers for it. Finally, plug it back in (where it should reinstall itself) and hope for the best. I’d have recommended you look to the manufacturers’ page for updated drivers but, uh, it’s a bit sparse and there aren’t any.

Beyond that the webcam may actually just be faulty. You could use your smartphone to connect to the Zoom call and sidestep the issue.

This is what I’ve decided to do. I’ve got Zoom installed on my iPhone now and will use PC Zoom for video and iPhone Zoom for audio. I’ve actually been using iPhone audio for discord since my headset was damaged and it should work fine for Zoom.