Webcomics that may interest only me

I read Playboy for the articles.

I’ve never read Girl Genius, but I’ve heard good things. Still, Rimbo, I don’t understand why you chose that panel as the one to exemplify your love of the series. It doesn’t make any sense to me, since I have no idea who any of those characters are, and there isn’t a “funny” in it.

Rimbo, please stop saying you like Girl Genius. Because it’s good.

It’s also a long-form comic, so any one page isn’t going to give you a snapshot. Ready several pages, preferably starting at the beginning.

I’ll chime in to say that Girl genius is a good comic, good enough to have been on the fairly short list of comics I follow in individual issue form rather than collecting the TPBs (before it went to a straight webcomic format). However, I have to say that I don’t think Rimbo picked a good “Sample page”. Just go to the comic’s site and start from the beginning, and I suspect many of you here will find you like it, esp. if you have a soft spot for steampunk setting and story elements.

I would guide thy attention here:

If you would kindly direct your attention to whatsername’s headband forthwith…

As I said before, it’s not that I have anti-good taste so much as I have lower standards, because I read so many so frequently that I don’t need a lot of reward for my efforts.

It’s like that “Real Life” strip above; the idea is good, but the execution is horrible. In my case, the idea was good enough to get a chuckle out of me. YMMV

I feel shocked. I too am a laugh whore… and I was unable to even snort at those.

=(

I think in your case it’s that you have low standards AND bad taste.

I would link to Bob the Angry Flower, but Rimbo might burst into flames from the sudden shift.

H.

p.s. Ah, what the hell. I’m even linking a videogame-related one for forum-appropriateness:

http://angryflower.com/returno.gif

That particular Bob the Angry Flower is like a poorly-drawn version of Sheldon. With slightly different geek references.

Yeah, dorky neurotic guy meets hot girl. Never read a comic about that before.

Seriously, just go to your local cool comics store and pick up a Jeffrey Brown book. His art is self-consciously bad enough for you to like it, and he has the advantage of actually being funny.

Rimbo, do you laugh with a lot of network sitcoms? Two and a Half Men, King of Queens, that kind of thing?

I don’t think the networks allow you to talk about masturbation quite so freely. Or do they? …I haven’t watched TV in years.

Another Sheldon, because Sheldon is greatness.

Yeah, dorky neurotic guy meets hot girl. Never read a comic about that before.

Did you just slam Questionable Content? If so you just lost the interweb. Well done sir. QC rocks, although a love of indie music will increace appreciation. Don’t hate it just because it was Rimboed.

Rimbo seems like a decent guy, but his taste in web-published humor is abominable. The stuff he’s linking here isn’t just unfunny, it’s anti-funny.

I think Questionable Content might be a good litmus test. Liking it seems a reliable indicator of objectively bad taste in webcomics.

He’s trolling, at this point.

A lot of these comics are in the middle of story arcs of one kind or another, and just seeing one is akin to seeing three frames of a movie.

I think the QC comic above is a bit funnier if you saw the past two, even funnier if you saw the past week or so, and funny enough to post to a BBS if you’re familiar with the characters from reading for a while.

For those who aren’t, the guy is kind of a secondary character in the comic (and the gal a newly-introduced love interest for him) who’s getting a lot more play now that the main character has – temporarily – resolved his relationship issues. (“Winning is great, but it’s not very funny.” --Charles Schulz)

If I was trying to explain QC I would have used a pintsize focused comic. Anything else requires thought, and clearly that scares some people.