Website with info on best WoW server, guild?

This is not a completely thought through request, so I’ll spit it out and see if you get the general idea and can help.

I am probably starting WoW with my wife. I have a character on Blackhand that was level 51 when I stopped. I’m not sure I want to go back there, but I’m not adverse to it.

What I want to know: is there any way or input on the best server/guild for a relatively casual player who is in U.S. Central Time? I want that ever elusive mix - no mandatory raiding, pretty family friendly, mature, but at the same time, with a large player base so that we will have people to play with when we log on.

If it helps to state it another way, the problem guilds I have been in before have had the following issues:

1. Too few players - whenever you log on there are about 5 other people, often 10 or more levels apart;

2. Too casual - I can’t be too critical here because I’m not the guy that will be there seven days a week, but I’d like to eventually do some raiding, higher level instances, etc.

3. Too dispersed - I’ve been in relatively big guilds that still somehow end up having most of the players running solo. I’m not joining a guild to play solo 95% of the time (nor do I want to feel forced to group 95% of the time, I’m looking for a decent balance.

I understand some of these things may seem contradictory, but I do not think they are. I’m looking for the ever elusive “balance.” I know that size is important; a small guild can pack a big punch, but often at the requirement of forcing much more regulated and constant play among its entire member base. I would let that guild down. Realistically I will be on a lot, but it is likely to be in the “Maybe 3 hours tonight, maybe 1 hour” camp.

lightbringer and play horde.

There are websites that list guilds (go to the WoW forums and the server specific forums often list them). Usually, some basic details are given, such as whether it focuses on raids, whether it is casual, etc. But there is almost no way to give the specific information you are requesting. The dynamics of a guild change over time. Your best bet is to either form a guild with some friends, or keep trying different guilds until you find one that fits your style.

Man, I should have mentioned, we’ll like be Alliance.

I will have a difficult time talking my wife into playing a cow person. :)

That’s fair, but if someone has a suggestion, I’ll still take it. I know that servers sometimes seem to have a “character,” and it does not help to at least try to start on the right server (since you can’t transfer).

I would suggest some but theyre all horde

We’ve got a decent QT3 guild going on Moonrunner/Alliance called Drop Bears. We are pretty casual, we don’t currently have enough people at any particular level to make a full group. Most of the active players are in the 20-40s. I currently have the highest level character at 54, although mlatin may pass me soon since he’s a goddamn machine. :)

Everyone in the guild is a QT3er, if that sort of thing matters to you. If you’re interested in joining us, you can just do a /who Drop Bears and ask anyone to invite you. Everyone’s main is an officer, so it’s quite likely that whoever happens to be online will be able to invite you.

I give all QT3ers some starting seed money so you’re not grubbing for skills or bags. Everyone is willing to help out other folks with instance runs or quests or whatever, if you don’t mind being cheesed through the deadmines by 3 high level hunters. :)

I’d join one of the new servers. I believe they just put out a new one this week.

The problem with your request is that you’re seeking a guild/server that is fairly casual… and also will have a number of players around your level to group with. Joining an already established server you’ll most likely see some zones rather quiet and find some difficulty in finding groups for some instances. On a newer server there will most likely be a larger influx closer to your level. Not to mention on an older server most guilds will most likely be comprised of lvl 60’s. it’s not the end of the world if they like playing alts, but if ALL they do is raid and BG you’re going to be out of luck.

I’d go with a fresh/new server, find a mature guild there hopefuly, and really enjoy the content 1-60…

The downside of playing on a new server is the inflation hasn’t hit yet and you can’t get crazy money for stacks of ore and leather and kingsblood etc. :)

Over on Llane, I belong to the Black Rook Hold, which is a guild that’s been around since the opening of the game. A lot of husbands and wives, some parents, but mostly a large guild with a number of different goals: Casual, raiding, fooling around, etc. They’re mainly alliance, but have a few affiliated Horde guilds on the same server.

I recently did a bunch of server research, but I was looking for a raid guild on a PST server. Anyway, if you go to the WoW Realm Forums, some of the servers have lists of all the major guilds on the server. If someone is really on the ball, there is some commentary on the guild, and their progression in the game (i.e. which endgame boss they have downed or are farming). If they don’t give a damn about that, they usually put some joke like “One of the rabbits outside Ironforge down to 43%.”

How do you know which one is new? Sorry for the idiot question… “new wow server” didn’t make an effective google search :)

edit: hmm, these three, perhaps?

How do you know which one is new? Sorry for the idiot question… “new wow server” didn’t make an effective google search :)

edit: hmm, these three, perhaps?[/quote]

When you create your account and begin a new character (or just look at the realms in the game itself), it tells you which are new.

12 are listed as new that way. I ended up rolling a mage on Chromaggus after not being able to get a group with my 55 priest on Kel’Thuzad for the second night in a row. Damn guild meltdowns :P …up to 9 now, weee. Bedtime.

[quote=“ciparis”]

12 are listed as new that way. I ended up rolling a mage on Chromaggus after not being able to get a group with my 55 priest on Kel’Thuzad for the second night in a row. Damn guild meltdowns :P …up to 9 now, weee. Bedtime.[/quote]

Well, for the time being we ended up doing Llane. I took all of the advice here, which was quite good. I could not find a way to quickly look at the servers on the realms forums without clicking through each and everyone. I would have been willing to do that, but there’s nothing there that I saw the tells me (before I click) whether it is a PvP, PvE, etc. So I was not going to look through tons of servers blind, not even knowing if the “good” one was PvE. It’s a good idea, but I guess I was just impatient.

Thought very hard about just rolling new chars on a new server. Still might, if Llane turns out to be laggy or have queues (it did seem a bit laggy last night, but I might just be used to EQ2s instant sale of items, etc.; the lag was mostly a one second pause when trying to loot things, a small pause while trying to sell things, etc.).

We did not go with a new server because there are also advantages of having everyone ahead of you in level. I do not look fondly on having to camp Hogger, only to watch him get killed 8 times by some other little cluster of two people who did not want to seem to join a larger group to let everyone get the quest. Hopefully there will be more “space” with an established server in the lower level areas. My wife is a new player, remember. New as in “never played a computer game before other than Civ for about 10 total hours” new. So I do not want to have to be as aggressive with tagging mobs, etc. early on.

Re: Hogger - Instant tapping RULES. When I am camping a spot like that and the soloers around me refuse to group, it’s hard to keep my finger off the trigger. Of course if they were there before I showed up, I might let them have it.

Moonfire was always a favorite for tapping on my druid, my warrior does ok with Charge.

edit: hmm, these three, perhaps?[/quote]

When you create your account and begin a new character (or just look at the realms in the game itself), it tells you which are new.[/quote]

Also by going to WoW’s website and checking out the news too.

They announce new servers tehre. These 4 are the newest. there were acouple of other servers that are less then 1 month old as well I think.

New Realms Live! - Ordinn on 11/30/05
We’re glad to announce the opening of four new realms! If you’re just beginning your adventures in Azeroth, or a veteran looking for a fresh start, these realms are the place for you! Come forge a new community on the following realms:

Aegwynn PVP
Akama PVP
Chromaggus PVP
Draka PVE

We did not go with a new server because there are also advantages of having everyone ahead of you in level. I do not look fondly on having to camp Hogger, only to watch him get killed 8 times by some other little cluster of two people who did not want to seem to join a larger group to let everyone get the quest. Hopefully there will be more “space” with an established server in the lower level areas. My wife is a new player, remember. New as in “never played a computer game before other than Civ for about 10 total hours” new. So I do not want to have to be as aggressive with tagging mobs, etc. early on.

Of course the flipside of a crowded newbie zone is that it’s pretty easy to find groups for the tougher elite-style content like Hogger or Chok Sul or whatever. So there is an advantage, at least if you are a stranger to the server and don’t have a lot of buddies already established.

Yeah, there’s no perfect decision I guess. I remember starting out on Blackhand, when everyone was new. You’d think that people would get together like you said, but I typically saw the multiple groups of 2-3 people who were for odd reasons not interested in adding another.

I tried both ways. I said, “Hey, if anyone else wants to group up to kill Hogger [or whichever mob] let me know, no sense in 5 solo attempts when we can get together and do it once.” I also targeted groups and sent tells asking if I could join. It was generally a pretty unsuccessful (and miserable) affair.

Maybe I have some stench that travels the internet. :)

Yeah, it’s a crapshoot, but I’ve had good experiences in those circumstances. I also think it depends how much of the population is true newbies (who are on their first toons) versus people on alts who want to blow through to lvl 60. The latter are more likely to want to group and get through content efficiently. They will have long since overcome their MMO shyness.