Weinergate?

Actually, he is married, to someone who is well-connected and ludicrously hot.

Trying to characterize this all as “OMG the media is just chasing after a Breitbart-manufactured story” is, to put it kindly, bullshit. Weiner had a one-on-one with a friendly reporter who was trying to help Weiner put it behind him, and instead Weiner played legalistic parsing games.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/05/rep-anthony-weiner-d-ny-refuses-to-answer-questions-on-twitter-hack.php

When a politician plays parsing games like that, it’s because he’s covering his ass. And frankly, those of you trying to give him a pass are doing so solely due to partisanship. If it were Anthony Weiner (R-NY), you would be making dick jokes and cracking wise about how no Republican can ever keep it in their pants. But because Weiner is likeable and a fighter, instead you’re bending over backwards to excuse him from ever explaining himself. I think he’s a likeable fighter too, but he’s punching himself in the face repeatedly at the moment.

Does anybody care other than him? I don’t. Hell - I don’t even care if Tony here doesn’t know how to operate the internet and accidentally sent his dick to the universe. I’d kind of respect him for it.

I’m honestly asking, what’s the story supposed to be? Is it Tony’s boner? That, at least, happened. Or somebody’s boner did, anyway, because whether he was hacked by the boner poster or the hack is a lie or the boner is a lie or whatever is a lie, the one material, totally definite thing that happened is that a boner appeared on a thing that was at some point directly attributable to him. Is it this Breitbart jackass being a dick, like he’s always been? Because that’s not really a story, on account of he’s never not been a gigantic dick. I don’t get it. As good as Weiner is with the media, I’d expect him to be playing this for a joke, and he’s apparently just being testy about it, so is that the story?

Well, it doesn’t matter what the story was. What matters now is that the media smell a cover-up, and that’s what the story now is.

If you don’t get why the story of a 47 year old married Senator sending a dick pick to a 20 year old college student in public in the strangely puritanical United States is news I’m not sure what to tell you.

Jon Stewart had a hilarious take on this last night, since he was heavily conflicted as a comedian and a friend of Weiner.

“Seriously, his dick just isn’t that big . . . . it can’t be

This, mainly. I would think it would be reasonably easy to show if the account was hacked, assuming Twitter logs IP’s and would release the information to the account holder.

He’s 46 and not a senator, and she’s 21. And what the hell is a dick pick, it sounds uncomfortable.

Don’t be obtuse.

If he sent the pic it’s a story
If he was hacked and he didn’t send the pic it’s still a story
Him playing word games ala “I didn’t have sex with that woman” is a story

It’s entirely possible this is the case, I’d just like to think that as witty and smart as he’s been to this point, he wouldn’t just go right to the dick pictures.

In honor of a fellow board member:

That was from a tooth.

Young women following wiener? Isn’t it usually the other way around?

Edit: hey lum, my immaturity is non partisan. HAha!

Also I bet he prefers to pass his dick around in person!

Talk about a cock up!

He could have handled it better; instead it blew up in his face!

Rep Wiener, you need to quit dicking around!

And finally a classic.

Is that a banana in your pants or are you just excited to show us?

On a more serious note, had this been a republican he’d have been know for anit gay rhetoric, the pick would have been ass naked, the intended recipient an under age male and the accidental recipients a church group. Dems always half ass everything.

Yes, my mistake. She was quoted as being 20 in the original post, and I goofed on doing the age math from wiki for him.

I’m not giving anyone a pass. I don’t care about what either Republicans or Democrats do with their private lives unless it directly contradicts stated policy positions and thus creates an interesting contrast. Sometimes, there is conduct that is so epically inappropriate in its own right (eg Edwards, Gingrich) that it probably constitutes a useful point of reference for their character or at least entertaining gossip. If Weiner had led a national anti-sexting campaign, you might have something. That’s why cabana boys and Bible thumpers are funny, and the political landscape being what it is why Breitbart is unlikely to manufacture the sort of comedy gold/actionable hipocrisy that arises naturally from a wide stance. You know, when he’s not outright accepting work from people that make shit up out of whole cloth.

My assumption is that there is a grain of truth somewhere that is probably embarrassing, and then a layer of Breitbart just throwing everything at the wall in the hopes that it sticks.

Nice alliteration, though.

Totally agree. I’m not sure what the angle is, unless of course he really was dumb enough to send such a picture, but he’s playing CYA for some reason.

He should really just go take a pic of his own and post that to Twitter with the response “See, totally not the same Weiner! We’re done here.”.

Why should there be a grain of truth? Was there any in anything Breitbart has ever done?

This is where the story is being made confusing for no reason as far as I’m concerned. It doesn’t matter. The “grain” of truth here is that there IS a dick pic. It’s done. It’s a thing. It exists. The fact that some random Republican is banging the drum about it is irrelevant. It exists. The story goes from there. Breitbart is only relevant insofar as he initially reported a thing that is objectively confirmed to exist. It’s at least possible that he could in some way be responsible for the alleged hacking, but there’s no evidence of that at this point, so he doesn’t even enter the story.

Sure. For instance, Shirley Sherrod actually said those things, they just mean something totally different in context.

He is the most interesting Congressman in the world.

“I don’t always post pictures of my dick, but when I do I use yfrog, a photo upload site where all pictures are 100% public, and I use my real name.”

Well let’s say we have different definitions of a grain of truth. If I say you are an apolitical jerk and quote you as having just said: “I don’t care about what either Republicans or Democrats do…” then there is not a grain of truth in that.