Weinergate?

It’s only inappropriate if they report you!

UCLA study says sex addiction is not a thing.

Oh, I certainly think he has a psychological disorder. It’s just that I believe that disorder to be Psychopathy or Antisocial personality disorder at the very least. I do not regard being a Psychopath and being an “assclown” as being mutually exclusive.

I wonder: could he get sued if he changed his middle name to “Mayer” as well? Or would they pay him to do it? “All PR is good PR,” right?

I’ll bite: I don’t really give a shit what politicians do in their private lives (inc. stupid shit like sexting), unless it rises to the level of at least a misdemeanor or interferes with their job performance in some way. Like, say, abandoning their elected office for several days to spend “quality time” with their extramarital lover and forcing their staff to lie about their whereabouts. But what kinda idiot does that?

Bottom line: Weiner’s an asshole, but it’s up to the good people of NYC to decide if he’s the right asshole to be mayor. If Sanford can make a comeback, I don’t see why Weiner can’t, too.

You seem to be mistaking me for a Republican? I have never made excuses for Sanford. That said, I do find Weiner’s transgressions uniquely funny. Admit it, “Carlos Danger”? That is some hilarious shit.

Obligatory Onion link:

Instead of sex addiction, it’s back to being called a “high libido.” Or, as my mom used to say (about my dad), “He’s got the hot nuts.”

That is not a conversation I’d ever like to have with my mother.

However, that turn of phrase is awesome.

Given their track record, the people of NYC deserve whatever they get.

I thought the hot nuts was what you got when you were forced to shared cramped seating in high temps and couldn’t adjust yourself for an extended period of time.

I’m in line to give a shit after his wife. If she doesn’t give a shit, kind of makes me look like a busybody. I don’t care what people do with their sex parts as long as they aren’t breaking any laws. Being obsessed with what other people are doing makes you as gross as the people actually doing all those things and you don’t get any of the high fives. And really he’s famous and rich, if he isn’t getting insane amounts of ass practically tossed at him from moving cars I have been seriously wrong about what being an American really means.

I mean, I just assume rich people have better lives than the rest of us. The idea that someone could run for Mayor of the City That Never Sleeps while at the same time posting in reddit /r/deadbedrooms just makes head facts not fit right in the sense place and stroke becomes a onset championship summertime.

I think what’s funny/tragic is that even with this nonsense, Weiner’s still apparently got a good shot of winning.

Is there seriously no one better? Literally no one who can defeat such a candidate?

Fuck it. Bring on the end-times. I will welcome our alien/robot/zombie overlords.

As if mere “adjustment” had the power to cool hot nuts.

You have to remember that Wiener was a rising star in Congress prior to the scandal. It would be reasonable to assume from that that he had / has formidable political skills. Nothing he has done with his camera and privates would necessarily imply that this skill set was overrated. So yeah, I think it could in fact be somewhat difficult to find someone in local NYC politics with a demonstrably better skill set for being mayor than that evinced by Wiener during his tenure in Congress.

I guess it comes down to what you want in a mayor. In Montreal, we’ve had 2 mayors resign in a row now, the last one after having corruption charges filed against him. If Weiner is a skilled political operator, can get things done, isn’t corrupt, and enjoys texting people his privates, well… I’d be OK with that. As long as he isn’t corrupt. As far as sexual foibles go for a person in power, it’s pretty tame (compare to: Dominique Strauss-Kahn, J Edgar Hoover), and certainly not evidence of psychopathy. Again, seems to be more of a paraphilia, a modern take on exhibitionism, and at least it isn’t true exhibitionism, where he’s hanging out at school playgrounds flashing his penis at young kids.

So, yeah, big deal. The French like their politicians randy. Maybe the US needs some that are comfortable showing some skin, but can get the job done.

The sex addiction, or whatever we can agree on calling it, is one thing. The constant shame that he’s comfortable bringing publicly unto himself, and by extension into his platform and party, is another. I know that seems ticky-tack but part of politics is building coalitions and he’s burning through bridges about as fast as he is through bottles of Jergens.

There’s plenty of less-public careers out there for folk who can’t keep it in their pants and/or at least off camera, perhaps even some where you don’t cause collateral damage with your pathological fuckups. I’m pretty sure most of the people who initially called bullshit and who’ve since settled on “ehh dickpix… no biggie” would feel way more comfortable if someone more stable stepped in.

Perhaps there is no such thing as sex addiction?

He was actually really impressive for a Congresscritter. Other than his need to show everyone his namesake he was one of the better ones overall.

Then again, if you can’t stop doing it… it does become a bit of an issue for most people. But this is NYC. They’ve had Bloomberg forever and between his nanny state and a dude texting his wang all over, I think I’d settle with the latter. Only one of them really affects me directly. The other thing is mostly embarrassing, but it’s not like you have to tell anyone you voted for him.

Hey, it’s NYC – having embarrassing mayors is part of your cultural heritage.*

• I lived in NYC for almost 20 years, from Koch through Giuliani. I actually met Ed Koch while he was mayor . . . very weird, but oddly also very endearing.

You buy them from the peanut man.

I don’t care what the guy does in his private life than hurts no one and is legal. And he isn’t running for mayor of my city, so eh? But in terms of judging the guy’s overall capabilities, doing this after the same behavior caused him to lose a great congressional seat, knowing that getting caught for the same damned thing that drove him out of his great previous job would make him look like an idiot, and knowing that SOMEONE is probably going to leap at the chance to reveal his stupidity again? That isn’t a moral issue for me, it is a question of the man’s capabilities for good judgement and his decision making process.