Weird FEAR error with 1.02 "Security Module cannot be loaded"

I got FEAR for Christmas, and if I patch it to 1.02, I get an error about a “security module cannot be loaded.” It runs fine un-patched.

Doing some research steered me down two paths: cloning software; or trying to run it in Win 2k emulation. I don’t have any cloning software (on the list was Nero, but ImageDrive was already disabled on my system). Win2k emulation didn’t work either.

For now, I’m running it unpatched. Anyone seen this problem before?

It’s a copy-protection issue but not sure how its reading it on your system and determining you’re not valid.

There is a no-CD v1.02 fix on gamecopyworld.com however you may want to try.

— Alan

I’m getting the same error with Prey. The game ran fine countless times up until today for some reason. I haven’t changed my system significantly either. Very odd indeed… and very annoying as well.

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago with another game. Spent like an hour mucking around before I found the solution. Many months earlier I had denied registry permissions to my CD-ROM drives to get around some virtual drive blacklisting to make some nocd crack work. Turns out this fix totally broke the securom protection. I believe the registry path was HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. Give it a shot, make sure administrators aren’t denied.

Thanks for the advice. A lot of Google hits recommended the same thing, but my account already had full access to all drives, so that wasn’t the issue.

Luckily I was able to get Prey running again by setting it to run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode though.

I just wonder why it stopped working in the first place.

I think it’s about time for a full wipe of the old hard drive…

Also worth noting that F.E.A.R.'s been updated a bunch of times since v. 1.02 and that an additional patch or three may conceivably fix your problem. (The most recent is 1.06, I think.) I don’t know if this is compatible with your saved games, however.

Peter

Boy, this threads a blast from the past. I forgot I even owned this game.