Weird Graphics issue (either x800 or maybe ram)

About a week ago I bought an HP AMD 3500 (don’t laugh, it was a good deal!). I put in a Radeon x800xl. Since you’re going to ask, it’s got a 300w psu. I’m running the 5.7 cats. I’ve got 1 gig of ram

I ran into a weird issue last night. Playing BF2 single player after about an hour or so, the screen pixelated–imagine a 1280x960 dos memory test looking screen. The HD hammered and about 30 seconds later everything was fine again. I wrote it off to a BF2 weirdness. Later, playing EQ2 the same thing happened when I hit a very graphically intense area (the area in Qeynos Harbor where the broker is). Only in EQ2 it bombed out with an “out of memory issue” Naturally, it didn’t tell me WHAT was out of memory. Also, I had been playing WoW for a good chunck of the night.

In both games, I had the details pushed out close to max. 1280x960 in BF2, everything set to high, no AA. ini EQ2, 1280x960, almost everything close to max. In EQ2s case the problem happened when I fell in the drink and I’m pretty sure the reflection rate I had set caused the panic attack (that one was really maxed out).

Thinking it might be heat-related, I felt the video card and the fans were barely on and the card was only slightly warm to the touch.

Other than these two issues, it’s been rock solid. I run HL2, Far Cry and Doom 3 pegged out (although other than HL2, the most I’ve played them is to test out some benchmarks). But, I’ve kicked the tires enough to know the system can handle a decent load. I.E-no reboots or other weirdnesses.

Is the problem that I hit a RAM issue–either not enough, or the low speeds of the HP ram, a driver issue, I had set the settings for both games way out of line for my hardwaer, or r just "one of those things?

Thinking it might be heat-related, I felt the video card and the fans were barely on and the card was only slightly warm to the touch.

Try taking off the side and see if that helps. I had something similar to this happen and low and behold it was heat. Pisses me off too cause I love my sonta case.

That makes sense. I didn’t think to feel the ram.

I did a little more research and it looks like some people are reporting funky lighting issues with X800s and BF2. I’m going to try dropping from Hight to Medium.

the 5.8s help with the other reported ati problems wiht this game, might be worth trying if you havent already. Made things smoother for me (x800xl pci-e)

Xaroc was having problems with BF2 and his X800 until I convinced him into trying the Omega 5.6 drivers, might be worth a look.

FWIW, I’ve been running these drivers on my R9800Pro and they’re solid.