Weird West - WolfEye goes wild wild west

On a separate question, who are OpenCritic? Does that mean MetaCritic is not open in some way?

Opencritic is more or less a response to Metacritic’s way of handling things. OC gives you the straight mathematical mean of the review scores in its database. MC, on the other hand, adds weights to the outlets it’s tracking. So, a 7 from publication XYZ may have more affect on the MC score than a 7 from publication ABC. It’s basically a more curated approach, but the main criticism is that the weights and MC’s way of calculating the MC score are not transparent.

Just tried to install it, but it’s not available yet?
Guess it’s an April fools game after all!

Still Coming Soon here.

Strange, I was able to download and install it just now.

Ok, it was just unlocked here & its installing now.

This sounds great. I won’t have a chance to play for a few weeks, but I guess that probably means I get to play post-patch

It feels like a dumb criticism, because it’s not like the individual outlets are scoring on the same scale, so who’s to say if an arithmetical mean is more “accurate”/“objective” than a curated blended score? And that’s before you get into things like not all outlets reviewing all games, so one game’s average isn’t the same as another. But there’s certainly an audience for this kind of thing. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. The score is the least important thing about a review aggregator for me.

Hey, this is on gamepass!

Installing!

I’ve played the first couple of hours and have been super impressed with it, I expect this will be my favourite RPG of the year at this rate. I was worried it might be a bit too twitchy for me as I’m not great with the controls but it’s relatively forgiving and most of the bad situations I have gotten myself into I’ve been able to get out of without having to reload to an earlier save. The writing is strong, though the story has been relatively generic so far. Although I did go off and do a mission that sounded like it might be dubious and wound up with a big reputation hit for completing it. So I certainly need to think a bit more deeply about what I’m asked to do in future rather than just treat it like a quest ticking exercise.

I signed up for GamePass for a buck to try this out. I agree that it is very promising, and that it will take a bit to get used to the controls. Tried both controller and M+Kb, and the latter actually seems a better fit here.

I’ve been spending some time with Weird West and I really like it. There is some quirkiness for sure, but there’s a solid game here, and a great story. I wish combat was a tad slower, but that might just be my age showing.
I absolutely love the concept of playing through 1 part with a character, and then when you start the second part, you can go find and recruit the character from part 1 into your posse. Right now, I’m in the 3rd part, and I have both characters from part 1 and 2 in my posse. Good times.

The structure of the story came as a pleasant surprise to me. I was nearing the end of the first major quest chain and was happy to see how the game continued from there.

I’ve been playing the hell out of this in my free time for the past week, and I absolutely adore it. I have criticisms - I wouldn’t be worth my salt as a dev if I didn’t! - but it’s very much a “more than the sum of its parts” title. The atmosphere, art, and story are fantastic. The characters are a treat. The structure is surprising and welcome. It welcomes experimentation; a load screen tip in fact encourages quicksave scumming to try different things, and I love that they bring that up.

There are so many things tucked away in the game, too, things to try. It’s really nicely put together. I keep trying to get more people to play this, because I think it’s a game that could really benefit from conversation.

Yep, I’ve also sunk many hours into this and only just got to the second character.

Enjoying the vibe and setting, though still not happy with the controls on the pc. Basically that’s the reason I’m not playing with any of the skills… Just too fiddly to activate! Perhaps I need to give the controller another try, though I didn’t like the aiming there!

Otherwise very cool game!

It also took me until the second characer to really use the skills. The ones I focused on primarily weren’t the timed ones; I ended up using the “your next shot” skills a bunch. Those were pretty powerful, and since I could just activate them while aiming, then take the shot, they worked out well.

Once I figured out this was more Commandos than Diablo it got a lot better, combat-wise. Great atmosphere and vibes though for sure.

I’m playing on PS5 and I’m really digging it. The combat controls are super awkward, but I threw it on Easy and I’m having a blast just randomly choosing a strategy and rolling the dice on each encounter. The second character was a hilarious surprise and I’m passively avoiding learning who the other three are because I enjoyed that reveal so much.

It’s flawed, for sure, but just based on how much fun this has been I’d love to see how the next iteration could work with evolved controls.

Edit: Also, is this the first game I’ve played with a morality/reputation system where you get to play multiple characters? It really takes the pressure off of picking good or evil and sticking with it for an entire game.

Im up to the 3rd unlocked character, and Im still playing. I typically quit and take a break from the game between stories when the game switches you to a new character, but this game does a great job of tying the past characters into the story of your new one (as Spect pointed out including making them as companions and carrying over their loot).

Its a good (but flawed) game. Glad i made the purchase, also on easy, and find it pretty easy to die as I fight the interface (Im so NOT a twitch gamer lol), but still enjoy it despite that.

Welp, I just finished the game tonight and it was a heck of a ride. I felt like they really stuck the landing for this hybrid immersive sim / action RPG / fallout-like.

Avoiding major spoilers, the time it takes to upgrade each character gets severely reduced as the game continues and I was able to beeline through the final character’s journey in about an hour. But I skipped a lot of optional content, and some of the side stories I did complete were interesting and were integrated into my ending.

This was a satisfying epic where my choices really mattered, all wrapped up in a brisk 18 hours. I could zone out and listen to podcasts while hunting or doing bounties. But paying closer attention was always rewarded with meaningful secrets, often obliquely referenced in bits of lore scattered around the environment. I can’t wait to see what this team does next.