Well written defense of Fallout fans at NMA

If I were a billionare I’d form a game development company, buy the rights to Fallout, then hire the NMA guys to design the next game. Then I’d hire a film crew to follow them around and document how thoroughly they screw it up. Then I’d make them watch the film, then I’d point at them, then I’d laugh.

Guess they barely dodged that bullet.

Yeah. my favorite part about NMA is their absolutely bloated sense of self-importance.

Hmmm…an RPG done in FPS mode with guns? Can’t be done.

goes back to playing System Shock 2 and Deus Ex

Seriously, Moore said it. Who cares if it’s the same crappy “I can shoot every monster in the eye by level 5” game from the 90s? Two things made Fallout 1 and 2 great: open ended, well-developed world. Bethesda has proven it can do the former; I’m not yet sold on them doing the latter, though Daggerfall came pretty close. But if Fallout 3 isn’t good it won’t be because it failed to use the SPECIAL system or TB combat.

Every year or so I get a desire to finally play Fallout 2. I loved Fallout 1 and never really gave Fallout 2 a chance. So I head over to NMA to look for patches and mods and such and wind up reading their forums for a bit.

That takes care of me for a year or so and then I slowly forget what they’re like and the cycle repeats.

Which is perhaps best illustrated by Greatatlantic making this post! There are times I love the internet, and NMA is heavily involved in most of them.

Andrew Mayer quoted this gem before, but it deserves to be repeated over and over again:

It is thus not surprising that these games were complete failures. This has nothing to do with their quality as games.

Emphasis mine.
If Enforcer and/or BOS had been good games they still would’ve qualified as failures to the NMA crowd. Digest that. At some point in their long treachous slide into insanity “faithfulness to a handful of design decisions necessitated by a low budget” replaced “entertainment derived from” as the metric to judge a video game by.

Every so often I still go back and read that thread where Kalle and extarbags got banned over there for acting like completely reasonable adults. Pure comedy brilliance.

You definitely should. If you can get past the eye-bleedingly out-of-date graphics, you’ll have a blast.

I think there is a very good chance that Bethesda’s Fallout game will be the most commercially successful of the Fallout games. Won’t that be a kick in the pants for the NMA guys.

The best thing Bethesda could is to completely ignore these fucking loons.

Who gives a flying fuck what these people think.

I think the fact that a fan base thinks it needs an explanatory essay and defense speaks volumes about how marginal their perspecitves are in general.

The survival of a franchise depends completely on the fans.

Of course, if NMA had its way, Bethesda wouldn’t be making Fallout. And not a lot of other people are lining up for a piece of that IP. So in this case, the revival of the franchise depends on someone NMA hates. The irony is delicious.

Troy

FYP.

Tom, please get rid of the 5 character thing so I don’t have to type drivel like this sentence.

First off: Which Fallout: BOS? I actually quite liked the strategy version that was on the pc.

I’m biased because I knew the guys who worked on it but X-Com Enforcer isn’t a complete train wreak considering what the development team had to work with.

Alternatively, you could have just typed what you meant in the first place, instead of an impenetrable and gratuitous acronym.

Fallout: BOS is the console game. Fallout Tactics: BOS, more commonly known as just Fallout Tactics, is the strategy game.

The console game was absolutely horrid. I bought it for $10 or something in an EB clearance “just to see how bad it was,” and… well, it was that bad.

Tactics is OK. It’s no Jagged Alliance 2, but then what is?

As far as I can tell, they didn’t hate Bethesda till AFTER they got the fallout ip. I don’t think ANY one was good enough to make another Fallout game in their eyes. Except maybe if Tim Cain formed a new rpg company dedicate to making turn based games using 2d graphics and 8 bit color. Then maybe they would be ok with it.

New to the net, eh?

For some reason, the only people they saw as qualified were Troika and Black Isle. Troika makes sense, but there’s no reason to think they were the only ones who could make it. Black Isle was the weird thing, though. They were so mad when Van Buren (code name for the Black Isle Fallout 3) was cancelled for good, even though nobody who worked on either of the first two in large part was working on it. It was being headed up by J. E. Sawyer, which makes it even stranger; I know Morrowind wasn’t perfect, but it was a hell of a lot closer to what I’d want from a Fallout game than Icewind Dale 2 was.

Is there any way to play fallout 1 or 2 in a window? COME ON PEOPLE!

Wasn’t the downfall of the Tribes franchise mainly because they listened to the hardcore fans too much?

Why all the Fallout Tactics hatred? Was I the only person on the planet who admits to having enjoyed it?

As for NMA, they are irrelevant. They have built up their laager and the impis have them surrounded. This was their first salvo and honestly they are using spitballs as ammunition.

We should pity these delusional freaks.

I shall call my self a Fallout fan simple because it was the first game that I ever played till I just passed out at the computer.

I could care less about what the cult at NMA wants as a gamer I’d like to see Beth liven it up a bit give me something new to sink my teeth into.