We're all going to jail

Phone harrasment laws extended to anonymous internet trolling

It will either never be enforced, or will be striken down as unconstitutional. It’s a clearly ridiculous law.

Stop annoying Congress.

Troy

This thread annoys me.

I like that it’s called the Violence Against Women act.

Act names have started to move from smarmy political newspeak to outright incomprehensibility.

Buried deep in the new law is Sec. 113, an innocuously titled bit called “Preventing Cyberstalking.” It rewrites existing telephone harassment law to prohibit anyone from using the Internet “without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy.”

To grease the rails for this idea, Sen. Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican, and the section’s other sponsors slipped it into an unrelated, must-pass bill to fund the Department of Justice. The plan: to make it politically infeasible for politicians to oppose the measure.

Is there no mechanism that could be adopted to prevent this type of tactic? It seems to make a mockery of the whole process. On par with gerrymandering.

I think Huffman just shit his pants. Alternately I think Derek probably just fainted out of sheer glee

Oooh! I’m suing you and you and you and you and you and especially you! Nyah!

Except Huffman says he is Huffman. The wording of the whole thing is just bizarre.

True. It sounds like you can harrass anyone you want all day long as long as you tell them who you are. Otherwise, you’re screwed.

I’ll go ahead and bet that Huffman has messed with Derek under an assumed name before.

So I’m except because I’m not anonymous? Rock on! Fuck all y’all!

See you in the gallows, motherfucker.

How is your mom, son?

Makes no difference–I post under my real name. So Congress can blow me.

:)

They should have called this thing the “Mach Five Get His Revenge Act.”

They are called ‘riders’, and apparently they are a very, very common process. Most acts of congress are passed with unrelated riders. They only call them riders when some political opponent is upset and wants to make a deal out of it.

Too bad this isn’t a joke. I hate to see old fart politicians involve themselves with the internet or anything PC. Al Gore I thought was the weirdest, he invented the internet… yea right. Now Bush steps in with his all seeing wisdom and lays down the law /sigh.

Freedom of speech is the most powerful tool a free people can have to protect itself from bad leadership and mistreatment. Wonder what monumental mind decided this was a good document to get the President to sign, who put it together, etc.

More then likely, or at least I would hope, someone thought it was a good thing to help protect the weak and not something created to limit free speech.

See, this is the kind of thing that leads people to accuse people of being trolls. Everyone knows this was BS, and everyone knows that everyone knows it. So why say it, if not to generate noise?

Maybe this law isn’t such a bad idea after all.

Actually, that is a pretty successful spin, as far as they go. Still not true, but hardly Holocaust denial.

That made this whole thread worth it. Well, apart from the oh-now-there’s-a-troll-I-could-part-with nonsense that I knew Aikes’ appearance would inspire. It’s proof positive that once you are typecast even being 90% in agreement with the consensus is never enough to avoid attacks.

Then again, who is really going to defend this move? Arlen Specter is a pretty despised politician on both sides of the table…I fail to understand his appeal.