Were you ever a goth? (edited...grammar)

48 hour ban for changing the title.

Was I a goth? Not exactly. In my high school, we sat down and found that we couldn’t pigeonhole ourselves into the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. We found that each one of us was a goth, a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, a criminal, a sporto, a motorhead, a geek, a slut, a blood, a wastoid, a dweebie, a dickhead, a greaser, a soc, a warrior, a Gramercy Riff, a rogue, a paladin, a Turnbull A.C., an orphan, a baseball fury, a lizzie, a punk, a bopper, or a snork.

Which one is you?

He’s the hot blonde with the nosering.

They’re not hot THEY ARE ON FIRE!! It says so and they had to have a fire extinguisher on hand!

I dig the Rocky Horror Picture Show t-shirt that the girl on the left is wearing, but she’s smiling so I question her goth credentials.

The one with a tragic lack of black clothing. Also, the boy. :P

EXACTLY

She is now a part-time barista and whatever the hell you call those acrobats who swirl around on suspended ribbons and shit, so, uh, I have no idea what that impliesTBH

I have a couple of Sisters of Mercy albums. Does that count?

I had the soundtrack of The Crow! Which I mainly bought because it had a Violent Femmes song on it, but I thought the rest was pretty ok!

It’s amazing how absolutely motionless Ron Livingston is in this clip.

In if I can build a character around how Hit the Plain Down is secretly Pavement at their very best.

Not sure if you’re serious but just in case, that is a function of the gif-maker. In the actual clip he does move naturally.

The Sisters of Mercy was an incredible musical experience. Floodland is an epic album, songs like “This Corrosion”, “Dominion” and “Lucretia, My Reflection” are staples of the genre. The follow-up, Vision Thing, contains “More”, which is probably my favorite Sisters song.

Wayne Hussey, guitarist on earlier SoM albums, and Craig Adams, bassist, split from the band and formed The Mission (aka The Mission U.K. in America due to copyright requirements). The Mission was a quintessential goth band that released half a dozen excellent records over the decade between 1986 and 1996. Grab their greatest hits compilation Sum and Substance for some of the best Goth rock you can find.

Fields of the Nephilim was another amazing Goth band. Their stuff is like a videogame soundtrack come to life. Mourning Sun is a great album, as is The Nephilium, their second full album, which features the epic Last Exit for the Lost.

OK…I’m done now. Thanks for indulging me.

No problem, I love me some SoM, and the videos are killer.