Westworld - Hopkins, robots, six-guns

HBO’s Westworld is official. 2015.

Written by Jonathan Nolan, produced by Bad Robot.

Anthony Hopkins plays Westworld’s inventor and owner.

Also starring Ed Harris, James Marsden, Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton, and Miranda Otto.

Holy crap that cast. Give me.

Okay, I think I can buy Ed Harris in the Yul Brenner role - just saw Snowpiercer and he was suitably creepy in that. I was really worried that Hopkins was taking that role and I would not be for that. Hopkins could be the fat guy that gets stabbed in the gut in the medieval section though. Not quite up to his usual standards though.

I want to see an actual robot Yul Brynner, not just some lame CGI f/x but the real deal. Tech is almost there…

Coool. One of the earliest movies to make a big impression on me. Yul was the original Terminator.

Hopefully something interesting will come out of this reboot.

Haven’t you seen Westworld or any other movies with robots that look like people? They always come after us. Always.

There’s a scene in the movie “I, Robot,” where all the old-style 3 Laws robots waiting around in a scrapyard start panicing because a human is threatened. “Human in danger! Human in danger!” It’s the closest the movie comes to subverting the Destroy All Humans trope. Of course, ultimately the movie is about murderous robots programmed by a giant murderous computer, so it falls flat.

It will be strange to see this remade in the modern era. Back in the day, it was perfectly natural to imagine re-creating the past with robots- Disney’s animatronics were all the rage. Whereas now that natural assumption is that you’d do it with VR. Why bother making all those pesky mechanical things, not to mention real building etc.?

(It will also be interesting to see how many people will chime in with, “They totally ripped off the story from Jurassic Park.”)

Let’s just be glad they are not remaking Future World. The best part of that was Peter Fonda giving the bad guy the finger at the end of the film.

First teaser trailer: https://youtu.be/OM8HNuRLIBI

Yikes, 2016?? Sigh. Apparently production has had some troubles as they are trying to figure out where to take the show and actually make it a series rather than something really short. More than one re-shoot I think.

The milk/body part reminds me of Ghost in the Shell.

— Alan

That looks pretty cool. Nice flash of the gunslinger near the end.

It will be interesting to see how they can expand this into a series.

This is some weird Dunning-Kruger shit. In the scifi Fate RPG game I run on Saturdays, we joke that a subset of the players, who are all older (10+ years older than the other half) make a lot of movie/music references amongst themselves that the rest of us are just too young to get. Haha, old people, yay.

Anyway, apparently the session I ran this past week heavily resembled the basic premise of Westworld (with shades of The Black Hole thrown in). News to me, but the Old-Timer’s Corner of the table spent (wasted?) a lot of time reminiscing about what a delightful creep Brynner was.

And now this. I refuse to believe that you guys aren’t working in coordination with my players.

If they could find a way to get Maximilian from The Black Hole into this show I would watch it twice.

I used to have a recurring dream/nightmare that Maximillian was a centerpiece of. It was the most scared I had ever been at the movies until the dream sequence from Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Do you mean Baader Meinhoff?

I thought he meant Voight-Kampff.

Oops.

I love that I managed to load the Wikipedia article for the link without actually reading it.

This is probably the comment I’ll be most proud of on my deathbed.

This looks excellent. Time will tell. HBO is great at trailers though.