Westworld - Hopkins, robots, six-guns

I’ll stick around as long as they want to keep playing Radiohead.

[quote=“Telefrog, post:397, topic:75914”]
Wild-ass theory:

The show has pretty consistently shown that Ford is always a step ahead of everyone. What if everything, like all of Dolores’ journey and Maeve’s quest for independence, is the new storyline? Ford is trying to get meta with his narrative.
[/quote]

Huh. Well, whaddya know?

Woah. So Ford really was a “robot revolutionary” after all.

I wonder where they heck they’re gonna go in season 2 with that ending? Surely the park as we know it can’t carry on?

hunkers down for the long wait until season 2 releases

Did you guys wait for the post-credit scene???

Nolan and Joy have always said that part of what spurred them was Game of Thrones telling an epic story on a scale that hasn’t really done before on television. They wanted to get in on that kind of scale.

And, yeah, they aren’t going to recycle Season 1 next season. There is no giant reset button.

I will say that I was expecting the escape part to coincide with the gala… misdirection sort of there!

Also: SW!!!

It doesn’t look like anything to me

Arm-istice!

Well, I tuned in 10 episodes ago to see a TV show of a movie about robots running amok killing people. I didn’t know there was going to be a 10-episode prologue based on a cheap editing gimmick.

I also didn’t know Evan Rachel Wood would be playing the Yul Brynner part. Terrible casting.

-Tom

We only just happened to be letting the TV run on after the credits and caught that they played an extra scene after the credits. It briefly took up the scene again where Maeve and Co. left Miss Snake Tattoo during a shoot out. The gist of which was to visit http://www.discoverwestworld.com and ‘Ask a Host’.

Also, what are we supposed to make of Maeve’s brief tour of another wing inside Delos HQ with the samurai hosts? I guess we should have assumed that a “Westworld” themed park wouldn’t be the only type of experience available?

And finally…

I can’t remember now who it was speaking to whom when we learned some information. Something along the lines of ‘this isn’t the first time you’ve woken up’ or ‘you’re not the only host that has achieved consciousness’. The upshot being that resetting the hosts and erasing those memories was a kind of blessing because the awareness generally cause the hosts to become ‘insane’. So we have Maeve ready to catch the next train and get the hell out of Dodge. I got the feeling when, she was starting to let her guard down, convinced herself that she was acting perfectly human and fooling all the humans on the train. And she begins to focus and fixate a bit on the mother and her daughter on the seats across from her. I got the feeling she was going to lose it but actually I guess she only just ‘changed her mind’ and figured it didn’t matter anymore that her memories of being a mother and having a small girl weren’t ‘real’… they were her memories and all that she had and she was going to investigate after all?

I think the escape was to distract QA while the gala was being set in motion, FWIW. Also, they didn’t show the main QA guy again so I guess we have to assume he was killed offscreen and didn’t rate a mention?

this is my favourite line of the show, I love it. I will remeber this show for this line and it will always be the show with the piano… (there was really too much of it)

That picture sums up the show in a nutshell. After establishing it as important to Abernathy’s awakening in the first episode and creating a mystery about it, later on they “explain” it …

… Except the explanation is about a completely unrelated character, and doesn’t doesn’t explain what drew our attention to it in the first place: why the photo freaked Abernathy out, but Dolores can’t even see it. Oh, and they showed it being dropped a looooooong ways away from where it was found. How’d it get from the little town with the church to the Abernathy ranch?

Is this sloppy writing or is it intentionally goading the Internet to obsess over some nitpicky detail over the long hiatus? Given the Lost connection, the correct answer is, of course, “both.”

It was pretty weird that we didn’t even see Luke Hemsworth in the last episode. I thought he would be in the control room, trapped with the others, but they didn’t show him at all. I assume, like most TV, if you didn’t see the death, it didn’t happen.

As for Maeve, I thought it was pretty obvious that her whole storyline was scripted by Ford. Bernard basically told her this when he was showing her how “ESCAPE” was her new narrative and that all her decisions had been pre-determined. He even started to tell her what she would do in the train depot, but she interrupted him and broke the tablet. I’m pretty sure he was about to say “…Then you turn back because you’re going to want to find your daughter.”

I wonder if Felix gets to keep his job?

I thought it was great. Spoilers below.

They surprisingly wrapped up many of the loose ends, and set up the plot of season 2. Gotta give credit to this show for not going the lost route of giving us more questions than answers. A lot of plotlines and characters wrapped up this season finale.

Liked the explanation of the maze, and how it didn’t apply to humans, as it is completely a game within a game built to give the hosts their humanity.

I also liked the bit with Maeve showing that despite her cold exterior, and motives to escape, her new-found humanity cuts both ways… she can’t leave her daughter behind. Even though a part of her knows that host is not her daughter in anyway, her memories make it true.

I also like the idea that Maeve was activated by someone else, perhaps Robert, and that her humanity stems from losing her daughter. William seems to be involved quite a bit in these realizations. Probably because he is interested in pushing the hosts to their breaking points so often.

Excited for season 2. I wonder about the Wyatt storyline, and I gotta think that it is a host that already went through all of this, and was gathering strength on the fringes of the park.

So, are we predicting season 2’s big reveal that Wyatt is a host version of Robert? Or that he made a host version of himself and transferred his mind over to it?

We’ve been shown Wyatt, it’s Dolores, they even confirmed it. That’s who she is becoming at the end of the episode.

Yeah, they show Arnold merging the Wyatt character with her (presumably so she is able to kill him) and Ford explains as much and heavily hints that she needs to be Wyatt again to ever free herself and the other hosts.

Ah, I get that now.

Yes. But not really. Or rather, we’re shown Wyatt’s personality being merged with Dolores. But that was way back before the Arnold-pocalpse, 34 years ago.

Who the present-day Wyatt followers who interacted with Ed Harris thought they were following is unexplained.

Did they just get written orders from nowhere, or was there an actual male Wyatt-bot like the guy Teddy thought he remembered? Or was Dolores-bot rallying the troops during some hiatus from her (also unexplored and unexplained) present-day activities during her Vision Quest?

Who knows? Who cares? Certainly not the writers, and since they can’t be bothered, not me either.

They were programmed by Ford, it’s his new Narrative. The greeting lady says something along the lines of Wyatt has not returned yet, the end is Wyatt returning.

My biggest question from the show?

Why did Westworld use such old (1990’s) weapons for the security/QA guys? It was cool to see the P90 getting a bunch of screen time, but I would expect Westworld to use something a bit more contemporary for their future time.