Westworld - Hopkins, robots, six-guns

My favorite part of the trailer was the music, Ramin Djawadi’s cover of Kanye’s Runaway:

Some of the characters have nice character moments throughout the season. But in my opinion they broke a couple of the main characters towards the end specifically Maeve and William in their urge to get a Big Finish and a Mindboggling Plot Twist.

Also keep in mind that the characters are very science fiction-y, by which I mean they exist to embody specific roles or points of view, not to be idiosyncratic individuals in their own right. So the nice character moments are of the “Ah, now I feel the androids’ plight” or “Yeah, gamers sure are dicks” varieties, not the “What a unique and fascinating person this specific character is!” type.

I finished the season. Overall I liked it, and since I wasn’t watching week to week and didn’t follow the speculation the stuff about William and Arnold were almost complete surprised to me. Pretty cool, but I feel like some of the mysteries were totally overwrought and more confusing than they needed to be.

I’m looking forward to season to after hearing Evan Rachel Wood say this was basically an extended prologue.

I wish the show tried to explain a few more in world details though. Like what happens if guests try to kill each other? Especially with knives instead of guns? How does any of this work in “Samurai World”? What does the outside world look like? How the hell did this place, including a 90-basement complex in a Mesa, get built? I don’t need every single detail answered but right now there’s just too much I need to let slide to accept the world’s existence at all, and without any such understanding I feel like the stakes are too un-knowable.

Daaaaaaaaamn!

https://youtu.be/sjVqDg32_8s

I literally just finished watching Season One this week, and holy crap does that Season Two trailer get me excited! I did not expect to enjoy this show as much as I did, and being able to feast on more episodes in only a few weeks is so amazing.

Trailer spoilers:

Was that Stubbs (Luke Hemsworth) back among the living with the new security team? I wondered about him and Elsie, since they never specifically showed either being killed, just incapacitated. Also, so glad to see Clementine again…that actress has such a unique look, sad, haunted and beautiful all at the same time. The whole trailer gives me a strong Jurassic Park 2 vibe, coming in to clean up the rogue robots and restore order to the park…and SAMURAI! Wooo!!!

This is awesome:

That is amazing. Bravo.

Simone Giertz does her best Bernard impression.

Tonight! I’m hoping for some Samurai World!

I don’t know if we’ll see it tonight, but you can definitely see some Samurai World showing up in the last few Season 2 trailers.

Well, they sure as hell didn’t hit the reset button.

Also, HBO sure is flexing its production values. Between all the location shooting and the sheer look and scale of this show. Daaaamn.

Bah, more timeline shenanigans.

Who knew Flokki from Vikings would be some corporate dude in the 22nd Century or whenever?

They sure reset William’s arm though. In the last episode of last season he was still nursing that arm Dolores dislocated. The next morning? Apparently it’s ok.

Finally. I sat through an entire stupid season of robots musing about the nature of consciousness to get to my robot massacre adventure. That seems to be what’s on offer here.

However, I’m not buying Rachel Evan Woods Evan Wood Rachel* as a ruthless killer robot. She’s no Yul Brenner. Thandie Netwon, on the other hand. Hoo, boy! I predict the quality of any given episode going forward will be based on which woman has the higher body count.

-Tom

* close enough

In my opinion this show adheres to the “Lost” school of script writing. That is, throw a whole lot of stuff at a wall then make it up as you go along (also insert random weirdness and red herrings). What you end up with is a whole lot of nonsense that people can endlessly discuss around water coolers but which completely ignores any kind of internal logic and will collapse like a house of cards in the end.

In short, this show is a mess, albeit a mess with great production values and naked ladies :)

I didn’t remember that his arm had been dislocated, but there’s a scene of him working on his arm and wincing so I think that’s probably relevant?

The show is both fascinating and ludicrous at the same time. The scale of the park just keeps expanding beyond reason, and now we learn that there are potentially five other parks?

Also, Jonathan riffing on brother Christopher’s Inception early on in last night’s episode.

Dolores dislocated his arm during the church fight. Later, during the final party, William noticeably keeps that arm stiff and only uses his other hand to take champagne, etc.

I’m sure Delos medic reset his arm just before the party, but there’s no way in hell he’d be okay with using it the next morning without a lot of discomfort. (To lift a body off him and fight, no less!) I’ve dislocated my arm, and that is not a one-night recovery.

Oh, the other tidbit from last night: I guess the facility is located on some island near China.