We've got movie sign? - MST3K Kickstarts Netflix series

Oh wow. I think I saw Star Crash in there.

— Alan

My body is ready.

Uh.

-Tom

IMPERIAL BATTLESHIP – HALT THE FLOW OF TIME!

Fun!

I really do hope this is great. All signs point to yes for this, but, sometimes with things like this, reboots and the like, they are often more colored by fandom than the originals.

Like, the people making these are influenced by the originals, and rightfully fans, but that can box people in creatively. Kind of like fan-fiction. People come in with expectations as fans, and write fan-service things.

I am not saying that this will happen, but it is what I have been worried about since the start of this Kickstarter. It does seem like the team had plenty of good leadership from Joel, so we can hope this feels more like a continuation of the series and less of a reboot.

Backing the kickstarter was great though, I have gotten most of the rewards of classic episodes in drm free video files, which I can run on my plex server, and replace the old archive project taped from vhs episodes I had there.

My only concern is with Felicia Day. I know she’s the Queen of Geekland, but she’s pretty awful in that trailer.

Yeah, I loved The Guild, and I liked her in Supernatural, but she is one of those character actors who is really good at a certain role. I hope that role works for the character she is doing. That trailer was hard to gauge anything off of though. Gotta give the benefit of the doubt with trailers.

I concur.

I really also dislike the twee geeky culture that emanates off of all of the stuff that she does. I think that being geeky and liking MST3K was very punk rock back in the day. But now, it is kind of mainstream with the edges shaved down to perfect iphone 7 corners.

I’ll admit that Day sometimes rides the line between “a little too twee to stomach” and “adorable yet quirky” for me, but she’s really just cute as a button and managed to eventually sell a pretty painfully written character in Supernatural, so I’ll hold out hopes.

I think she’ll be great.

I don’t really know who Felicia Day is, maybe that’s a good thing.

Wait, you guys actually watched the bits in MST3K between the movie showings? I always ignored those parts anyway, and usually went to get a snack or something until the movie started again. Same with all my friends who used to watch MST3K. I had no idea people watched those! You guys do exist!

To be fair, this time I’m curious enough to actually watch them just because they got famous actors to do those interstitial bits. But from what I recall, those were really painful to watch in the originals when I did try to sit through them occasionally.

Man, those bits had some of the best comedy. Any time they gave Servo a song to sing, I’d bust a gut.

Or any song really:

Yeah, admittedly I’ve only watched them in retrospect, so to speak, but I’m there for the bad movies and the snark, not the skits. If the skits are good in the reboot, then great, but if they aren’t I’ll still be happy if the movie bits are great (ie terrible).

I love the Joel-era skits. Late-Mike-Era stuff (post Dr. Forrester) was hit-and-miss, and more miss than hit.

Of course, when I thought about my favorites I realize maybe I just like Tom Servo alot.

He’s mine as well. My fiancee, who teaches chorus and is a pro musician, actually loves his singing voice.

Yeah, I think the only reason that character worked was that she played it in such an earnest fashion.

Tom Servo had exceedingly tiny hands before it was cool.