WH40K: Chaos Gate

The reliable non-skull option is to get a melee crit on the seed carrier and choose whichever option has the seed symbol next to it. Hammerhand (guaranteed crit) is obviously good for this. I just use the skull though.

I think you are also awarded the seed if they die to a melee crit (when no options appear), but I’m not entirely sure. Sometimes I just seem to get the seed when I wasn’t expecting it.

I believe seeds can be harvested via a critical hit pip boy thingy. Thus options that force a critical (Hammerhand??) are very helpful for this task.

Edit: @rho21 beat me to it.

I thought each round of planet quests gives you a servitor, grimoire, or requisition reward option. So if low on any of those, aim towards that reward on the next round of quests.

I won’t disagree, there is a lot of information that is not exactly obvious or even unavailable (“surprise!!”, you wanted thematic surprises right?’). This is contrary to the genre.

I think you are referring to a “precision hit” which comes up on some crits but not all - not sure what controls that

Thanks!

Here is the link if needed: Twitch

Oops, someone missed some localised string keys.

Click on loadout, equip the gear. The inventory screen has a left and right panel. Select the upgrade you want on the right panel, then click upgrade

You will need the appropriate seeds, of course

For seed harvesting:

Apoc with the appropriate skills 100% harvest on melee
Any other melee class on a crit
The skull seed harvester

Exception: i am at late game and there’s some monsters immune to the skull seed harvester

I mean, I’ve seen all that, but it’s still locked behind whatever locks it.

I"m swimming in seeds since there is a research option that let’s you multiply the number of seeds from a single harvest. The game is hard, but I think it’s fair which was not my initial opinion early game when I was too weak to deal with waves of armored foes.

The tactical aspect behind the game mechanics is surprisingly deep but also surprisingly low on information on how it works. I’m really playing with trial and error and a ton of save scumming. Not ideal but I am enjoying the game tremendously and have no desire to play anything else right now. (ie: it’s a good game that will get better)

Also with respect to equipment rewards, when you pick a system to fight in, the type of equipment you can choose on completion will be listed at the bottom and it’s pretty specific. Like it will say if there will be a Psycannon or a Halberd reward for example.

This is a good example of the issue I have with the UI: the info is there but it’s just not obvious or accessible and the tutorial doesn’t do a good job of laying it all out. It’s not a terrible UI it’s also not a graceful UI.

I am somewhat biased by the excellence of some other recent strategy game UIs. For example the UI in Old World is like a god-level UI compared to this game: everything pops up with a mouse over or you can shift-mouseover to get more info or shift-click to go deeper and it’s all just there, visible, readable, with explanation if you want or need it. I mean Old World is a super dense and super deep game that took me many weeks to grok but the problem was not with the UI. By comparision, Daemonhunters is only moderately deep but actually getting to the info I need is much harder.

I did enjoy my playtime with the game. I keep being internally tempted to restart “knowing what I know now” but I worry that I will inevitable miss something and get that shitty feeling again. On the other hand, I know about getting seeds now (thanks thread!), and I know about the importance of servitors, and I know about the need to build an Exterminatus before day 300 or so, and I at least have some ideas to deal with the respec issue (don’t spend requisition on upgrading the recruit armory track - just take the low level recruits and level them up manually.)

Argh I am inconsistent and indecisive! And annoyed! But also intrigued…

One quick question as I contemplate another restart: is there a log in combat? A lot of things pop up (like seeds and WP gained after a kill for example) but if your camera is not in the right spot it’s easy to miss (yet another example of “blink and you’ll miss it”). I didn’t see an option for a combat log but most games do have them. Is it there but hard to see like the little book for stratagems? If so, where is it?

Also, is there a list of keyboard shortcuts somewhere? It would be nice if some of these things were handier to access.

I haven’t seen a log for combat and I’m not a numbers guy so I normally don’t care but there have been a few instances when i would have liked to go back and see what happened. Given the pnp roots of the license i am surprised a simple thing like that is not included.

Also when selecting weapons at the mission end screen, it would be nice to see my equipment to know if something would be an upgrade, etc. You are totally locked into the screen and have to choose without being able to check your own armory.

Also a skirmish mode would be nice. Hell make it a tournament pit. It’s thematically correct.

Not many shortcuts but you can map all the quick action buttons. Also a big help with the menus is using right click to go back the prior sub menu rather than hit the back button which sometimes can take you back further than you want. This is most helpful when outfitting your team.

Again, gameplay is hugely fun but like you said a bunch of QOL things got left on the whiteboard.

Indeed, as an exemple, it took me 10 hours to figure out how Stun works. It is basically stun damage , that is a separate track, indicated by the number on the skull, and once “stun HP” reaches 0, the target is stunned.
I assumed it was a chance to stun before, and +1 stun meant that you rolled once.

I found the game quite good so far, but it suffers a bit of the XCOM syndrome in which you need to spec to 1 turn kill the opponent because sustaining fire is never a good option, and your Marines got issued Hollywood grade armor.
It means +AP/stun/teleport upgrades way better than the rest.

And once they are stunned you get a single free crit on the next attack, then their stun meter resets. Importantly if you don’t use that free crit, the enemy will not be unable to act on their turn or anything nice like that.

Sustaining damage is a bit different to XCOM, in that your guys are pretty tough unless you leave them facing attacks from a bunch of powerful enemies. The real cost comes in them being injured for future missions.

It’s still better to kill everything in one turn though. I had a teleport strike kill 7 enemies in a single action today. Bit of a waste of the willpower refill. :)

Pretty big patch today.

I am really tempted to jump in, despite it being quite expensive and not getting the reviews I’d like for a game of this price - it looks really cool from the bit of gameplay I watched earlier this morning, and I’m a sucker for a good XCOM style tactics game. The real problem is I’m enjoying my second Wrath of the Righteous play through and don’t know if I need to muddy those waters with a new game to play.

But this seems like a great patch - if nothing else it’s the patch that adds in the items that were previously available from watching Twitch streams, so my ire there has cooled back to black rock.

The balance changes in this patch are mostly nerfs and I don’t like those changes.

I was reading the discussion and it sounds like a big oof - devlopers catering to the small hardcore crowd that wants Legendary difficulty to be much more challenging at the cost of the casual beer/pretzel armchair players enjoyment (which is where I’d be at). I’ll keep it on my wishlist, but it makes it easier to skip for now.

These changes specifically weaken the most potent “Grey Knights kick ass” abilities and combos making the game much more of an attritional struggle. A big mistake imo. My desire to return to the game shrinks further.

Yeah looking at the patch notes in a bit more detail, this is a pretty big OOF by the devs. Very specifically, two abilities, Teleport Strike and Psychic Assault, where the player can lay out a bunch of enemies by spending willpower and then restore the willpower by making a lot of kills, are badly nerfed b/c the willpower recovery is nerfed down to just 1, when the abilities cost 2 (or 3 for Teleport Strike with enhancement). This dramatically reduces the repeatability of these abilities, and is a very substantial nerf on the larger maps with large numbers of enemies.

There are two big negatives to this:

1)On the larger maps with large numbers of enemies, the two abilities I mentioned were the bread and butter of cutting the hordes of Chaos down to size and this change is going to make the game far less “Grey Knights kick ass” and far more of a battle of attrition. This will slow down big battles and require a lot more killing of chaff of enemies with individual attacks, which is not that exciting.

2)The two abilities that got nerfed were two of the most fun abilities. Folks in this thread have been talking up Teleport Strike and Psychic Assault with reason: It Is Good to Smite Upon the Forces of Chaos with Righteous Anger and these two abilities were the best way to do that in a mass fashion against hordes of enemies. And it was fun!

Beyond the reality of the negatives of nerfing fun and necessary abilities, it shows the wrong mindset for the devs. I’m guessing this is catering to the very hardest of the hardcore but it hurts the strategies of many players who want to enjoy Smiting forth.

I consider this a hard fail of design decision making.

In addition to that specific nerf, the reduction of crit percentages, the reduction of weapon damage, and the increase of enemy stun tolerances are all nerfs, and also nerfs of ways for the Grey Knights to kick ass. It’s just a crap patch from a balance perspective all the way around. It’s a patch with 4 balances changes and 3 of the 4 suck for for all players (the 4th one just affects the highest difficulties). And no balance changes to help out the classes who could use a bit of pizzazz (for example Justicars and Apothecaries are great support but could use a bit of love on kicking ass.)

I am unhappy with this patch. I frown upon the devs.

I don’t think capping wp gain at 1 is a big deal. I feel like that was what was always intended. However, doing that and simultaneously raising wp costs on a bunch of skills to the point where you hesitate to use them seems like a big problem.

Likewise, I don’t see how increasing required stun makes the game more fun. If a specific upgrade/weapon was making stun too easy to achieve, better to adjust that instead. Because now if you don’t have whatever that is, you will likely never see a stun before enemies are dead.

Basically all of these changes nerf what I consider the “fun, kickass” abilities and strategies (mowing down enemies with Psychic Assault or Teleport strike, chain-stun-AP-boosting your way through a horde, healing up fast to keep on rollin’, etc. etc.). I get that these make early game encounters against the easier enemies trivial but I consider that a feature not a bug - even on easy diff and using these abilities, the tougher enemies and named enemies were still a solid level of challenge for me, and I was having fun until the QOL annoyances caught up with me.

These changes reduce that joy. They are not game breaking but they go in the wrong direction. Also, they failed to boost the classes that needed boost. On top of that, the details of the changes they made to other abilities have come out and they made some of the less oomfy classes even less oomfy by making Apothecary Heal and one of the Justicar special powers MORE expensive - really?

It’s just the wrong direction. This is a challenging game, and the availability of some powerful combos plus easy diff made it enjoyable for me. Now that’s reduced, which sucks.

As for needing more difficulty at the high end, I’m confident there are MANY better ways to do that.