What 5 movies would you want to watch at pretty much any time?

I don’t keep a top-5 list of what I think are the best movies. Instead, I keep a top 5 list of movies it takes almost no persuasion to watch. You and someone are going through the inevitable, what do we want to watch tonight? and one of these movies comes up and you go, “yes, that!” Movies that require almost no thought about if you’d want to watch it.

For me, the list is:

1. Ronin
  2. Fifth Element
  3. Blues Brothers
  4. Fellowship of the Ring, extended edition
  5. Sneakers

In no particular oder and my choices as of this minute…

Indiana Jones 1-2-3
Captain America-Winter Soldier
Any LOTR movie
Patton
The Longest Day

Pitch Perfect

My 5 would be:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  2. The Wrath of Khan
  3. The Princess Bride
  4. Die Hard
  5. Big Trouble in Little China

Raiders would make my top 10 list. if I limited myself to movies not as long as Fellowship, it would crack the top-5.

This is a fun topic, because when I tell people Ghostbusters is my favorite movie I’m thinking in these terms. Citizen Kane may be an interesting movie that’s really well shot and acted, but I don’t feel like I need to stop what I’m doing and watch if I pass it flipping channels. But I by god will if I come across Ghostbusters. So, the list:

1. Ghostbusters
  2. Big Trouble in Little China
  3. The Princess Bride
  4. Pretty much any Star Trek movie. Yes, even Insurrection but maybe not Nemesis
  5. Strange Brew

Edit: aw damn, Tim yoinked some of my choices

Hmmmm…

Hot Fuzz
Central Intelligence
Ant Man/Ant Man and the Wasp
Captain America Winter Soldier
Jumanji: Into the Jungle

Most are cheesy but hey, they are things I love and can laugh even at my love OF them.

1. Die Hard
  2. The Princess Bride
  3. Top Gun
  4. Braveheart
  5. Tombstone

This is EXACTLY my list. Maybe I’d put Princess Bride at the top, but that’s about it.

I thought you guys only watched Die Hard at Christmastime.

I will, seriously, become enraptured at any time I pass by it on the channel guide when flipping channels. If my girlfriend even sees it on the screen she will take the remote away.

“Alas, Mr. Takagi won’t be joining us for the rest OF his life.”

Yeah, Indiana Jones definitely fits. Same for Star Wars. If I stumble across one, I’m watching the rest.

Now longevity may be a thing, but Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor Ragnarok hit the right tone for the ‘I’ll watch this in any mood’

@Mark_Crump is a good man an already named Blues Brothers. I like this a lot, and will add another Chicago comedy classic, Ferris Beuller’s day off.

Caddyshack has to be on the list too.

Hmm, only 5…

Indiana Jones
Star Wars
Ferris Beuller
Caddyshack
Guardians of the Galaxy

• Empire Strikes Back
  • Caveman
  • Strange Brew
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Blade Runner

Tombstone is an honourable mention, as is Star Wars.

fist-bump to my fellow Strange Brew aficionado, dive^3.

Blade Runner is great, and would have made my list, but it’s a mood thing. I could watch any of mine, regardless my current mental state. Blade Runner isn’t quite true for that. I need to be willing to dedicate to more.

Heck yeah man! I even bought the Blu-ray.

Agreed. You can’t just turn your brain off and enjoy the ride with Blade Runner, and that seems to be a common theme with most of the movies in this thread.

Yeah, it’s the outlier in my list for sure. I debated whether to put Star Wars or Tombstone in there instead, but I just love Blade Runner sooooo much.

This is a great topic. Because when I tell people Seven is one of my favorites of all time, but no, I don’t want to watch it again, I get strange looks and side-eye from divedivedive.

I might have to give it further thought, but from the top of my head:

1. Edge of Tomorrow (supplanting Groundhog Day, which used to be in this slot)
  2. The Sound of Music (starting from the scene where Maria walks into the house)
  3. Signs (I just love all the beats of this movie)
  4. Predator (especially the part after Arnold falls down the waterfall)
  5. Back to the Future trilogy (Ok, maybe skipping Part 2 most of the time)

Oh man, so many others I’d want to include. Like Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Sorry, that will never stop being weird to me.

I’m going to switch this topic to which movies do I watch pretty much any time (when I’ve had a few too many) and the answers are:

1 - Alien:

2 - Mad Max: Fury Road:

3 - The man From Nowhere:

4 - Blues Harp:

5 - Patlabor 2: