What 5 movies would you want to watch at pretty much any time?

Solid picks here. Definitely in the running for me.

Movies I can watch over and over (and over)…

The Godfather
The Godfather II
The Princess Bride
Glenggary Glen Ross
The Emperor’s New Groove

Great pick!

Man, this thread is like a window to an alien world (or a demonstration of how alien I am). I haven’t “flipped channels” in 20+ years, and usually only rewatch a movie when showing it to the kids for the first time. When we do get time to sit down and watch something, there’s always such a wealth of acclaimed movies and series that we’ve been meaning to get around to, that digging out stuff we’ve already seen doesn’t even occur to us.

That said, I’d probably go with:

• Princess Bride
  • Naked Gun series
  • LotR series
  • Star Wars series

Woah. I’d put Signs in the top 5 movies I’d undergo torture to avoid watching.

My five:

1. The Matrix
  2. The Big Lebowski
  3. Moulin Rouge
  4. Baby Driver
  5. The Raid

The Princess Bride is a very comfortable film. But I’ve seen it so many times that it’s like a very worn blanket: it has immense sentimental value, but doesn’t actually do much for me anymore.

That’s how I feel about the various Star Wars films. Not sure I’d even stop to watch if I found one on TV. Heck, I haven’t even seen Han Solo or the one about the Death Star.

In no particular order, movies I will always stop at when just flipping through channels:

Big
Planes Train and Automobiles
Good, Bad and the Ugly
Shrek
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Funny we have the same excellent (or appalling) taste. Although the list is numbered, it is not really in any order. These were just the first 5 that came to mind. There’s many more movies that I could name. The key thing for me is that all of these movies are just rollicking good fun.

These aren’t necessarily my favorite movies, but they are ones I am always happy to have on.

1. The Fifth Element
  2. Goodfellas
  3. Any of the LOTR movies
  4. Pitch Perfect
  5. O Brother Where Art Thou

Movies that I really don’t think I could ever get tired of watching:

Chinatown
The Big Lebowski
Clue
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Real Genius

Like breakfast, Christmas movies can be enjoyed any time.

Patton
Oblivion
Interstellar
Castaway
Airplane

Godfathers 1 and 2
Big Lebowski
Goodfellas
And I can’t think of a fifth.

The above I can sit and watch until the movie ends if I catch them on while channel-flipping. I’d almost put Princess Bride up there but there are some scenes I’d fast-forward through if I could. Raiders is close too.

In no particular order…

O Brother Where Art Thou
The Big Lebowski
The Fifth Element
Total Recall
Tie between Two Denzel flicks: (Deja Vu, Man on Fire)

Oh dude, that’s a great call. I don’t even like that movie, but if it was ever on I couldn’t take my eyes off it. It helped if friends were around so we could make fun of it together. That’s a great example of not necessarily liking a movie in order to enjoy watching it over and over.

Out of Sight
Singin’ In The Rain
Spider-Man: Homecoming
The Big Lebowski
Grave of the Fireflies. Kidding! It’s A Wonderful Life

I think I’ve whined about how there isn’t the perfect video or streamable version of Drunken Master II that was a good transfer and didn’t include the Miramax butchering, but that might make the list.

Ok, I thought of my fifth. Get Shorty.

That almost looks like my original list, except I couldn’t think of a 5th…when I remembered a few others, list changed up. But Goodfellas and Lebowski would make my top 10 along with Miller’s Crossing which I just remembered.

Ok, I will remove Princess Bride and add Miller’s Crossing because I’ve seen Princess Bride a hell of a lot of times.

Gosford Park
Aliens
Jaws
The Big Lebowski
Terminator 2

The are many movies I love and will happily rewatch any time. But my top 5 “I don’t care how recently I saw it, I’ll watch it now” movies would be:

Die Hard
The Fifth Element
Flash Gordon
Singin’ in the rain
Labyrinth

“Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours and my kingdom as great. You have no power over me!”

If it was a top 10, it would also include

Clue
Ghostbusters
Indiana Jones (can’t pick just one)
Alien + Aliens (why not treat myself to both)
Groundhog Day

Great call on all of those by other posters.