What are hipsters about?

You are one of them!! Oh god! We might all be infected.

Exactly. Calling hipsters white is like calling gangsta rappers black.

I’m thinking that maybe the first hipster wore a fur hat and stovepipe jeans to make a cultural statement. The rest just wear them because the first one did.

I don’t think anyone liked that guy. Except maybe Sean Penn.

If you want to see what hipsters look like in the wild you have to check out Into the Woods. Watch the first episode with Wampire.

Interesting - it is like a really bad Gap commercial (though I didn’t think the music was too bad) .
There is a lot of effort being put into looking like you are not putting forth much effort.

This is what they’re about.

I agree with the earlier statement that they aren’t the dominant subculture, they’re just the dominant noticeable subculture. They’re the “look at me” of the moment. And of course the great irony is that they ironically embrace things that aren’t popular in an effort to become more popular amongst those who avoid the popular, except ironically.

makes little chopping motions down his arm

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

H.

They basically dominated the art department at my old university. I’d say easily 80% of the students in that department could be described as hipsters with some degree of accuracy.

There was no PBR to be had, so they got by with Alpine and Moosehead. Their parties usually featured some weird synth-pop artist, like Lederhosen Lucille. In the absence of a live performer, the latest ear-splittingly twee, Pitchfork-approved indie disc sufficed. The name of the band of the hour was invariably etched in Sharpie on their battered, olive-drab messenger bags.

They all looked kinda like Rivers Cuomo, but were either in or sleeping with shittier bands than his. Most of their wardrobes came from the Salvation Army, and their pantries were stocked with store-brand knockoffs of sugary kids’ cereal.

Alas, they frequented my favorite bar in town, so I crossed paths with them on a regular basis. Some of them were nice folks, but most were vapid, self-absorbed, insufferably pretentious twits.

I feel like this topic comes up every few months.

Back in college early last decade I mostly hung out with music scenesters and never really identified them as hipsters. I thought there was a subtle difference in style and wealth although I didn’t look into it much.

Obviously most of them were going to college so they’d fit under Jason’s definition of rich (anyone who doesn’t finish his plankton) but mostly they were cash poor kids living in crappy lofts or the ghetto and scrounging a few dollars for a beer after sneaking into a show. Maybe they didn’t need to.

Perhaps a scenester is a poor kid having a good time, and a hipster is when you’ve grown up, still act like a kid, and start being a douche about it? Even back then there were some people that made it a big clique, and others that didn’t fret with it much.

Okay guys. These are my people. I am a hipster in some music sense only. I don’t wear skinny jeans, I keep my hair short. The worst I could be called is beardcore, because I have a beard.

And that’s not even a hipster thing.

Anyways, these people think that they’re being gleefully ironic. They wear their skinny jeans, their floured blouses, their skirts with knee high socks and heels. If you see a fashion disaster on a younger person, more than likely they are indeed a hipster.

The other way to tell is to listen to their music. Does it suck? Hipster. Is it someone complaining about how life is kinda shitty but hey whatever in an upbeat manner? Fucking hipster.

But don’t hate these gently creatures. They’ll continue to drink their PBR, do their cocaine, dis on each other. I guarantee within a decade it’ll be over. They’ll fade into non-existence. Just let them be. By giving them attention, you’re justifying their irony.

Don’t. Do. It.

lol youth culture is strange!

Then you just have atrocious taste in beer.

Can I blame hipsters for Free People? I hate that place. With its pseudo-vintage atmosphere and bullshit all-world ethos and its crazy-expensive clothes mostly made by one-armed blind Thai orphans that make the girls who wear them look like the woman who digs through my garbage looking for soda bottles and in the end the goddam place is owned by Urban Outfitters.

I also hate Anthropologie, but I feel like they’re trying to lie just a little bit less. It’s hard to pretend like you’re a local vintage clothing store when your store is two storeys and involved extensive renovating of your store’s exterior to look like someone put a fucking log cabin in the mall.

What is your opinion on rap music?

It also killed my dog.

these young people with their cheap beer and nostalgia for youth

things weren’t like that when i was young and poor back in my day

we listened to REAL music

not that noise they all like

I guess it would depend on my proxmity to a comfy couch.

The only rap music I like on all occasions would be that rap music which makes a call to arms against police officers, 'cuz fuck tha police.

(And man, don’t make it sound like I hate Free People because I’m old. I hate it because it’s bullshit. I’ll let you know when I hate something because I’m old. Like Heelys! Goddam Heelys. I hate them because I’m old. Also, a little jealous. I would’ve totally had Heelys when I was a kid. But no, instead we had pogo-balls. Fuck! Do you know what happens when you get on a pogo ball? YOU LOSE TEETH, TIM! YOU SPEND A SUMMER WITH YOUR JAW WIRED SHUT!)

I used to point and laugh at hipsters, too. At a Christmas party last year, I met a friend of a relative would would definitely fit the description of a hipster. I instantly wrote him off. Here’s the shocking part: The guy was alright. Very social and polite, and all the mom’s loved him. I felt like an ass for making such a snap judgment.

A beer snob I am not, that is true.

Given your handle, I am deeply saddened your alcohol snobbery does not extend to the realm of brew. sniff

Now go drink a Lagavulin or something to make up for it.