What are your other hobbies?

What else do you like to do for fun and games besides Computer and Console?

I used to cook for flavor and challenge, but now it’s purely utilitarian “get the food on the table” type stuff.

Non-fiction reading still a hobby, and now we are a Netflix family. But nothing really interesting like jai alai or syncronized swimming.

Troy

I rock-climb, sail, and occasionally act in plays.

Watch TV.

I have an interest in hobby-level game development (something on the scale of a Roguelike) but haven’t put much time into it. I have an interest in drawing, but as an adult it’s discouraging to see kids with ages in the single digits with more talent in this area. I enjoy reading, but rarely do it. I have an interest in 3D modelling, but never put in the necessary time to learn the tools. I have an interest in image editing (animated GIFs, Photoshops and the like), but see previous sentence. I have an interest in game modding and level editing, but never stick with one game long enough to produce anything substantive. And on and on.

Watching movies. I know we have a forum for that already, but I like to watch a lot of them. If I had more guts I would have gone into film studies in some capacity instead of civil engineering, so yeah, we’ll see how that pans out.

You’re really soul-searching here, aren’t you?

Work is sucking the soul from me.

Acting. Chess. Lots and lots of reading. Tabletop RPGs. A bit of creative writing when the impulse strikes. I’d count myself as a Civil War buff, too.

Does “rabid baseball fan” count as a hobby?

MikeSofaer, Hawkeye Fierce:
Where do you guys act? How’d you get into it?

I actually read about video games more than I play video games.

I like to read mostly nonfiction. Im a sports fanatic of sorts. I also like to program and want to write a game using one of those newbie engines like DarkBasic or something.

Jeez, I guess I started back in freaking elementary school. Got the lead in the Xmas pageant in 4th grade. Been hooked ever since. Acted throughout my school years. Now that I’m out of college I don’t have as much time or opportunity to do so, but I audition for local community theater groups when I have time.

Unfortunately, I have a minor lisp which tends to be more pronounced when I’m delivering lines, as I can’t speak in my natural cadence. I can use the rehearsal time to figure out how to deliver my lines without it being noticeable, but when auditioning for people who don’t know me, it’s a hindrance. C’est la vie. Maybe I should try to switch to the director’s chair.

I think my wife considers it an affliction.

Troy

I got into acting in high school, I’m not really sure why, probably I thought people would like me more or something. In college the theatre department at Case Western was nice to me, and let me take the theatre major acting classes even though I was a math major.

After that I auditioned for a show at a local Mountain View theatre, The Pear, because my aunt had been in a show there. I had a great time and I auditioned for a couple shows in San Diego at Lamplighters.

If you are interested in getting into amateur theatre find the local theatres nearby and start going to auditions. If you can read from a script without sounding like a robot you will get parts.

I’m with snowcrash on the reading about more than playing video games, although I also lift weights, read literary fiction, and go to art galleries.

Does it count if I want to do something but never seem to find the time for it? I always thought it would be nice to develop some kind of drawing skill, even just simple sketching, but it seems like a fairly big commitment and it’s been easy to get discouraged.

Otherwise, I don’t get out much these days, so I’m pretty much down to reading (a mix of historical non-fiction and fantasy/SF), and following a small handful of shows and races on TV.

I want to get back to biking, but currently lack a secure place to keep one.

Playing guitar is probably my biggie.

Learning useless foreign languages (although I think I’ve hit my capacity on that one–I barely have time to keep the ones I know in shape).

Other than that, I like to dabble in things–origami, chess, and so on, but I never get good at any of them.

Gav

Tennis, piano.

Wow, I barely have time for hobbies other than gaming and reading.

But since work is a hobby in of itself, despite the many frustrating moments, I do occasionally take the time out to dive, sail, swim, wakeboard, play basketball, guitar and do some photography.

Guitar, music, reading, martial arts, films, tv, cooking.