What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Just to clarify, is that posted in agreement with me or disagreement? Just so i’m clear, by “road” i don’t mean interstate or even paved roads, just “any maintained road”. The Germans got lost a few miles down trail roads, right? After they got the jeep stuck. Or am i misunderstanding? They almost certainly could’ve walked back in the dark the way they came (if the location of the jeep as found is correct).

The mistake they seemed to have made is when they started using “imaginary logic” - i see this feature on this map and i think this mean we’ll find X there. But you don’t ever know if you’ll find X there unless you’ve actually been there. Just walk back the way you came in.

Don’t panic is great advice, except most people lost in the desert are there accidentally, so not enough food or water. Normally, yes, a healthy human can walk 50 miles. But Death Valley and really any place with 110+ temps will mess you up if you think you’re going to just walk out to safety without a lot of water. In the Germans’ case, what seems to have started as a “shucks golly” miscalculation became a serious survival scenario in hours. Temps hit 120+, the ground was rough, and the Germans were completely unprepared for a desert trek. It seems the first person died about 8 miles from the van. The rest seem to have made it farther, but well short of 20 miles.

Not to mention that going back to the road may not have helped them. No one was using the closest road at all during their trek. Being on that road may have only helped searchers find their remains faster.

I’m not disputing the general sentiment to stick to roads and don’t wander. I’m just saying that Death Valley is still some serious shit.

I just want to give a hearty thank you @Telefrog for the link to the story of The Lost Germans. I just spent the entire evening reading it and studying the photos and accompanying maps. Truly fascinating.

Actually, I also bookmarked Tom Mahood’s entire site. It’s well-organized, contains not one hint of advertising, is easy to read, is well-written, documented with photos and maps, and seems to contain a wealth of other amazing stories. I love stuff like this.

Yes, thanks @Telefrog for that link. Awesome read.

A sobering reminder to not get cocky with nature.

That was an amazing read, thank you!

So in the end, it appears the entire family died together in around the same location, with the kids bones lying a couple hundred yards away from where the parents bones were eventually discovered? Perhaps the children died first and the parents climbed to the top of the ridge to sit and wait…or animals dragged the smaller bodies further down the slope. Tragic that they got so lost to begin with, and then that they chose to simply stop together.

At least, thanks to Tom and his SAR friends, the families of these poor folks got some closure. Pretty nuts though how poorly the country sheriff handled things. I wonder what was on the note they found that they never bothered to have translated?

What a story. As someone who has done backcounty hikes, desert hikes, biking in remote areas, and even participated in a rescue operation to carry someone suffering from heat stroke out of a canyon, that was a fascinating read.

Reminds me of Howard Stern’s promise when he was running for mayor of NYC, two birds one stone, kill all the homeless and use them to fill the potholes. He’s a pragmatist, Howard is.

How could they fill the potholes when they are de… oh. Oh. Nevermind.

That always ends well, breeding prehistoric species.

It’s not like it’s Jurassic Park. They’re just breeding big dogs.

I love the way the photographer set up this shot, just like a Hollywood western, with an upward angle to emphasize height. He appears to be taller than the chain link fence, and half as tall as the tree. Also, I like him. He looks noble and dignified.

Eight cups is nothing. My cat eats that much.
(not really, but good lord it seems like it)
EDIT: Wait a minute. I should have read the article (or hell, even the headline) first. Six feet tall? Standing there just like that, or stretched out with only his back feet on the ground? If the former, he may actually be taller than the chain link fence and half the height of the tree. lol.

At 180 pounds, there’s no way that’s 6 ft while on all fours, unless that prehistoric dog has bird bones.

I’m guessing they mean 6’ long. They specifically mention in the article that if he stands on his hind legs he can look through the door peephole.

My worry would be for the dog’s health. Large dogs have shorter life spans and more health problems overall. Hips and back are a particular concern. But he does look pretty cool.

Yeah, I showed my wife those photos last night and said to her at the time “I’d imagine he will be quite short-lived at that size.” I love that brindled coat, though.

He said: 'At nine months there simply isn’t another dog 180lbs and 31.5 inches to withers anywhere else in the world, she is an anomaly."

So not quite 3 feet to the top of the back. 6 feet has to be length.

Pray for a strong tailwind. :)