What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

We have brown recluse here in Missouri. I had a colleague who bitten by one. Her leg took more than a year to heal. In fact, I’m not sure it ever fully healed. She just stopped talking about it.

I was getting my lawnmower out of the shed a couple of weeks ago for the final mowing of the year, and a tiny brown spider started rapidly climbing the handle towards me. I quickly backed away and got my version of a flamethrower. I hosed that sucker down and got everything off it.

Anyway, the brown recluse frightens me.

Or we could look forward to seeing Shelob and Unogoliant pictures in the pet thread…

Intelligent weapons systems, yep, that always works well.

Three scenarios:

1. minor success/failure: most optimistic

2. epic success: very good way to kill people, very efficient, lots of people die. Not good.

3. epic fail: very good way to kill people, but it kills all of them, not good either.

Highschool students trying to come up with AI breakthroughs? Come on. It’s a bad joke.

As high school students, sure. As grad students?

The point is not that they are AI experts, it’s that they are young enough to not have formed a sophisticated morality to push back against dangerous requests. If they asked 40 year old AI expert researchers to create killer robot swarms, they would say NO or build in solid fail-safes. These “smartest” kids will become their own obedient natural intelligence to create their dream killer AI.

Well, I suppose if BIT is recruiting for a new specialized undergrad major program funded by the military they would obviously select high school grads.

But for actual R&D meant to accomplish something useful, I’m sure they could find dozens and dozens of utterly dedicated professionals with the right skills and no compunctions whatsoever.

Increasingly, I am thinking that the Internet should have been developed with an off switch.

The Good will drown out the Bad! … or something like that.

The US is clearly unable to defend itself without endangering First Amendment and privacy rights.

Looks like a Darwin award candidate. Glad the authorities stopped him before anyone else got hurt.

He told a deputy that it was only a hobby. He liked to make ‘fireworks’.

Hobby I could see until you see the switches he was making. Honestly, there’s inky one reason for that type of switch.

No news yet on whether he is a Trump supporter or not. (Yes I am politicizing this thread.)

Woops, trying to type my earlier response on a phone in doctor’s office didn’t work out too well. LOL

Could go in several threads but I thought this was the most amusing.